The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

20 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

We could protect the defence by holding on to the ball for a little while.

Just a thought.

Don’t be silly, next you’ll be suggesting we play a midfield 5 that isn’t entirely made up of centre mids?

24 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

Is anyone actually protesting tonight BEFORE the game?

Sounds like a load of pish to me.

Edit: I see it's a AFChat thing. So just some utter roasters then.

I’m planning on tutting and shaking my fist from the comfort of my living room. Could be because my daughter refuses to go to bed though. Who knows. 

Is it correct that Ally Shewan has passed? 50 year association with the club, if true that he's passed, then the man deserves a big send off from the club and supporters.

Which actually poses a question, does anyone know if the club does anything special when we lose one of our Hall of Famers?

Edited by Bogbrush1903

12 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Is it correct that Ally Shewan has passed? 50 year association with the club, if true that he's passed, then the man deserves a big send off from the club and supporters.

Which actually poses a question, does anyone know if the club does anything special when we lose one of our Hall of Famers?

Ally Shewan gave a 100% every game. He played a phenomenal number of consecutive matches for the Dons. Sad news if he is dead.

Edited by Jacksgranda
Sleppnig

Sorry to hear this.  He was a top notch full back in an era when there was quite a few around including Chalky White his long term partner.

I can remember a specific Ally Shewan dying minutes sliding tackle in a 1967 cup tie at Easter Road to secure the draw.  We won the replay 3-0.  

ETA - Just looked this up on AFC Heritage, 37,000 at Easter Road, 44,000 at Pittodrie.

Edited by fasda2
Added information

1 hour ago, fasda2 said:

Sorry to hear this.  He was a top notch full back in an era when there was quite a few around including Chalky White his long term partner.

I can remember a specific Ally Shewan dying minutes sliding tackle in a 1967 cup tie at Easter Road to secure the draw.  We won the replay 3-0.  

ETA - Just looked this up on AFC Heritage, 37,000 at Easter Road, 44,000 at Pittodrie.

I was at both those games.

20 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I was at both those games.

The Dons were watched by 294,602 in that season's Scottish Cup.

Dundee (A)  23,000

St Johnstone (H)  22,800

Hibs (A)  37,200

Hibs (H)  44,000

Dundee United  41,500

Celtic  126,102

The only match I missed was Dundee (A).

It was a long train journey home from Hampden after the final.

Edited by Jacksgranda
Sleppnig

Just now, Jacksgranda said:

Dundee (A)  23,000

St Johnstone (H)  22,800

Hibs (A)  37,200

Hibs (H)  44,000

Dundee Unite  41,500

Celtic  126,102

I was at all those games! Jinky Smith at Dens Park was the best he ever was and that’s a very high bar. The semi was very poor game. We played the European champions in the final so I suppose we did ok although I didn’t think so at the time. 

1 minute ago, fasda2 said:

I was at all those games! Jinky Smith at Dens Park was the best he ever was and that’s a very high bar. The semi was very poor game. We played the European champions in the final so I suppose we did ok although I didn’t think so at the time. 

We weren't really at it, conceding a goal 3 minutes before half time and then the second 4 minutes after killed us completely.

6 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

We weren't really at it, conceding a goal 3 minutes before half time and then the second 4 minutes after killed us completely.

I’ve still not got over it. 

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

Dundee (A)  23,000

St Johnstone (H)  22,800

Hibs (A)  37,200

Hibs (H)  44,000

Dundee United  41,500

Celtic  126,102

We'd just moved to Dundee and I only saw the Dundee and United matches.  Not allowed to go to the final.