The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

On 10/01/2020 at 07:40, Bob Mahelp said:

Bryson has been a pretty disastrous signing.  

It seems to me that the reason we've signed McGeouch is to compensate for the fact that Bryson has been missing from day one.  We're taking a risk though by relying on two such injury prone players.

In what world has Bryson been injury prone? 

7 minutes ago, Muzza81 said:

Has he not been out with constant ankle injuries since he signed for you? Ignoring the injury picked up against us when Davidson almost broke it.

He ruptured ankle ligaments at Derby a month or two before he signed for you.

Has he not been out with constant ankle injuries since he signed for you? Ignoring the injury picked up against us when Davidson almost broke it.

He’s been injury prone this season, yes. That’s partly our own fault. We’ve rushed him back every time he’s been half fit and it’s backfired just about every time.

I don’t think he’s been particularly injury prone across is career is what muzza might be getting at.

12 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I’m not an Aberdeen fan. Yes I’m referring to his pre Aberdeen career. He’s never been an injury prone player which may say something about the training/care he’s getting at Aberdeen.

Edited by Muzza81

3 minutes ago, Muzza81 said:

I’m not an Aberdeen fan. Yes I’m referring to his pre Aberdeen career. He’s never been an injury prone player which may say something about the training/care he’s getting at Aberdeen.

Fair enough, as I say he picked up a serious ankle injury not long before his move.

Guest Bob Mahelp
5 hours ago, Muzza81 said:

it's pointing out the obvious to say that Bryson has been injury prone pretty much from the first day he signed for us. In fact, if memory serves me right, he was injured when he signed. 

It's f**k all to do with the training/care he gets at Aberdeen, it's pretty much everything to do with the fact that we signed a 33 year old carrying a pretty serious injury and the fact that it seems that there are obviously still issues. 

A fair bit of our wage budget gets spent on a 33 year old who may or may not recover from this injury. I would say he's been a pretty disastrous signing. 

Edit to say that Aberdeen have got to take an element of blame for firstly signing a player near the end of his career carrying a fairly serious injury, and secondly for obviously trying to rush him back when he wasn't ready. 

Edited by Bob Mahelp

1 hour ago, Bob Mahelp said:

it's pointing out the obvious to say that Bryson has been injury prone pretty much from the first day he signed for us. In fact, if memory serves me right, he was injured when he signed. 

It's f**k all to do with the training/care he gets at Aberdeen, it's pretty much everything to do with the fact that we signed a 33 year old carrying a pretty serious injury and the fact that it seems that there are obviously still issues. 

A fair bit of our wage budget gets spent on a 33 year old who may or may not recover from this injury. I would say he's been a pretty disastrous signing. 

Edit to say that Aberdeen have got to take an element of blame for firstly signing a player near the end of his career carrying a fairly serious injury, and secondly for obviously trying to rush him back when he wasn't ready. 

Pretty sure he’s currently out for a total period of around 3 months due to Murray Davidson nailing his good ankle, and allegedly the originally injured ankle has been fine.

Edited by big al

Guest Bob Mahelp
3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Twitter rumours have Stephen O'Donnell turning you down to sign a PCA with Oxford, apparently be finalised in the next week.

If a guy who is only 27 and has just started an international career fancies heading to the utter wilderness of Oxford, then it's a lucky escape not to get him at Aberdeen 😅

Edited by Bob Mahelp

1 hour ago, Bob Mahelp said:

If a guy who is only 27 and has just started an international career fancies heading to the utter wilderness of Oxford, then it's a lucky escape not to get him at Aberdeen 😅

Oxford are currently in a similar position to where Bournemouth were when Ryan Fraser signed for them

18 minutes ago, Frank Grimes said:

Hearts in for Matt Kennedy as well now 

I wouldn't worry, theres virtually no chance we'll be selling our best player to a team we're battling relegation with.

It reeks of an agent trying to force the hand of a club hes in talks with.

Edited by RandomGuy.

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I wouldn't worry, theres virtually no chance we'll be selling our best player to a team we're battling relegation with.

Kennedy signing a pre-contract with a team 5 points adrift at the bottom would be a bold move as well. He has apparently met with us, though.

5 minutes ago, DC92 said:

Kennedy signing a pre-contract with a team 5 points adrift at the bottom would be a bold move as well. He has apparently met with us, though.

My main suspicion with the story is its a Saints fan whos published it, one who's had a close relationship with the club in the past, and I can't see any Edinburgh papers who've done so far.

Wonder why St Johnstone would put an article out claiming a club other than Aberdeen are poised to pay a hefty fee this window to sign him...?

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

My main suspicion with the story is its a Saints fan whos published it, one who's had a close relationship with the club in the past, and I can't see any Edinburgh papers who've done so far.

Wonder why St Johnstone would put an article out claiming a club other than Aberdeen are poised to pay a hefty fee this window to sign him...?

My source for Kennedy having met Hearts didn't come from the Sun, but you could well be right about leverage.

Aberdeen have been interested for longer, are way ahead in the league and can most likely offer at least as much money as us. He'll be going there.

Guest Bob Mahelp
9 hours ago, A96 said:

Oxford are currently in a similar position to where Bournemouth were when Ryan Fraser signed for them

I think Fraser is the exception that proves the rule. 

He's pretty much the one diamond in a sea of turds.....Zander Diamond, Chris Maguire, countless others from various Scottish clubs..... that signed for lower league English clubs thinking about the short term cash and that everything would be bright and shiny and perfect just because it's England.

I honestly thought these days were past, and that players could look at the experiences of others and make informed decisions about their careers. Apparently not (if the rumour is true).

O'Donnell probably has one last chance at good money at 27 years old, so if Oxford are offering him that then I'd expect him to take it tbh.

Not a great footballing move but I can kind of understand it, don't think he has too much potential to improve so it's all about maximising earnings now.

7 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

O'Donnell probably has one last chance at good money at 27 years old, so if Oxford are offering him that then I'd expect him to take it tbh.

Not a great footballing move but I can kind of understand it, don't think he has too much potential to improve so it's all about maximising earnings now.

Yeah. I did find an article from just after he joined Killie where he was talking about how hard is was down south being away from family. With a new kid that's something to consider but money likely outweighs the cons.