Kerbal Space Program

EdgarusQPFC

Has anyone found or played this little gem? I'm absolutely hooked on it. I originally got interested after seeing some of Robbaz videos on YouTube. I downloaded the demo off steam and before I knew it I'd spent 5 hours designing rockets.

For anyone who isn't familiar the game is basically a Rocketry/Aircraft design sim where you try to get little Green men called Kerbals into space to explore their solar system, which is loosely based on our own. The game trys to use proper astrophysics and getting a design to work at times can be frustrating but ultimately rewarding if it works. You can also design planes but really its all up to you. What really makes the game brilliant though is its modding community, some of the new features you can add are really good.

In my own game I've successfully landed on both of Kerbals moons, have a spacestation around one and 3 surrounding their home planet, I've landed on their equivalent of Mars and made it back safely. In the last few days I've been designing single stage to orbit planes, which is quite tricky.

Has anyone else here tried this yet? If so what do you think of it?

I've heard of it but don't have the time to do it properly. Is it a PC thing?

Yeah its only on PC, Its not a very high requirement game tho.

10322624_757905850926473_492451226820953

So here is one of my original designs before i began modding.

10307406_757905594259832_223593508745390

Successfully landed on the moon

10294454_757905787593146_145989168029992

Eventually the design was improved on (theres a satellite attached to the nosecone that ill be placing into the moons orbit while i slingshot towards Duna(Mars) This particular ship didn't succeed and was sent back to the drawing board.

10288785_757905704259821_916724604270078

I eventually succeeded at the weekend, Its alot harder than just pointing at the planet and hoping for the best.

10246376_757905884259803_416720117828441

While messing about one day i designed a "lazer" cannon, its entirely pointless and just there for my own amusement

10368394_757905874259804_499366912398897

My Moon space station

10380735_757905774259814_326561520972031

The pride of my fleet, i have several designs of this, the latest includes escape pods

10402570_757905737593151_243744808385020

Pruely a space faring design, i found that out the hard way..

10366259_757905670926491_274452582531191

Perhaps flying just a little too fast

Edited by EdgarusQPFC

Has anyone found or played this little gem? I'm absolutely hooked on it. I originally got interested after seeing some of Robbaz videos on YouTube. I downloaded the demo off steam and before I knew it I'd spent 5 hours designing rockets.

For anyone who isn't familiar the game is basically a Rocketry/Aircraft design sim where you try to get little Green men called Kerbals into space to explore their solar system, which is loosely based on our own. The game trys to use proper astrophysics and getting a design to work at times can be frustrating but ultimately rewarding if it works. You can also design planes but really its all up to you. What really makes the game brilliant though is its modding community, some of the new features you can add are really good.

In my own game I've successfully landed on both of Kerbals moons, have a spacestation around one and 3 surrounding their home planet, I've landed on their equivalent of Mars and made it back safely. In the last few days I've been designing single stage to orbit planes, which is quite tricky.

Has anyone else here tried this yet? If so what do you think of it?

I've got it but not played it enough to get good at it. When I first started playing it my upstairs neighbour came down as due to the noise she thought my boiler was away to explode or something.

Scott Manley on Youtube has some good videos on KSP - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYu7z3I8tdEm5nyZU3a-O2ak6mBYXWPAL

I've got it but not played it enough to get good at it. When I first started playing it my upstairs neighbour came down as due to the noise she thought my boiler was away to explode or something.

Scott Manley on Youtube has some good videos on KSP - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYu7z3I8tdEm5nyZU3a-O2ak6mBYXWPAL

I watch his videos regularly, his voice is a little boring at times but his builds are just outstanding, they piss over anything ive ever designed.

One of my favorite Robbaz videos. His videos are quality, his Sims 3 stuff is hillarious

I've been playing the demo all day. I've not been to the moon or anything, although I think I'm limited due to the parts available to me. Still good fun. Nippy as f**k when you're rocket turns out shite though.

I've been playing the demo all day. I've not been to the moon or anything, although I think I'm limited due to the parts available to me. Still good fun. Nippy as f**k when you're rocket turns out shite though.

Use the little grey reinforcement struts, it helps considerably. Also when your wanting to get into orbit, turn right to 90 degrees when you hit 10,000 meters, once you hit 30,000 turn your engines to half and keep that angle until you hit 100,000 turn off the engines then bring up the map with M and place a node ahead of you, pull the green Marker until it says your gonna be in orbit then go back to your rocket, angle the rocket to the blue mark on your navball and fire the engines when you hit your mark (little timer on the right of the nav)

The game shows up on the steam sales regularly aswell

Edited by EdgarusQPFC

I think Nerd3 is fantastic. I've wanted to play this game for a long time since watching his video but my laptop would struggle to run Space Invaders, never mind this!

His dad is equally brilliant. Same mad, irreverent sense of humour. Check it out, his name, fittingly is Dad3.

• 5 weeks later...

I have been playing this game for the last 2/3 days now and have one Kerbal stuck in a planetary style orbit for 1 year 157 days with no fuel to get back. I can get out of the planet's orbit but not much more and need to work on my designs and stop strapping as many rockets as I can to my craft.

I have been playing this game for the last 2/3 days now and have one Kerbal stuck in a planetary style orbit for 1 year 157 days with no fuel to get back. I can get out of the planet's orbit but not much more and need to work on my designs and stop strapping as many rockets as I can to my craft.

I've been giving the game a break for a wee while, last time I played I was driving my moon lander across to a good site to build a moonbase. Once I'm done with South park I'll be on it again.

I watch his videos regularly, his voice is a little boring at times but his builds are just outstanding, they piss over anything ive ever designed.

One of my favorite Robbaz videos. His videos are quality, his Sims 3 stuff is hillarious

That was absolutely brilliant :lol:

I've always heard about this, but having seen some of the videos, I think I'm going to be forced to pick this up. Looks great fun. Quite whether I'll get the hilarity of Robbaz videos though, I can only dream...

• 3 weeks later...

The latest update for this has been released. It finally includes 64 bit support(makes a huge difference, believe me) It also has the very thing this game needed badly. A proper career mode, you gain science from experiments(moon rocks, crew reports etc etc) have missions(get a ship into orbit, go to x moon etc) which all unlock new parts, you start with the most basic gear and research new parts etc. It stops all mods so you have to use the base stuff, but it really tests your skills in making the most of very little, you have a limited budget also. Really makes the game for me

• 4 months later...