FAO No Voters

loyal-blue

If this has been done before then feel free to delete it or merge.

I've tried asking a few people who they're voting no in the referendum, but I've yet to hear any reason which I can really understand or that would inspire me.

Could any of the no voters explain why they are voting no on here? I'm genuinely interested to hear the reasons that some people give.

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

f**k me, another Highland Hamish thats been watching Braveheart too many times and who cant accept that the majority of people in Scotland are happy as they are.

I look forward to your tear filled seethe posts on September 19th.

I've tried asking a few people who they're voting no in the referendum, but I've yet to hear any reason which I can really understand or that would inspire me.

Could any of the no voters explain why they are voting no on here? I'm genuinely interested to hear the reasons that some people give.

Why are you voting Yes?

f**k me, another Highland Hamish thats been watching Braveheart too many times and who cant accept that the majority of people in Scotland are happy as they are.

Ok...

Wow that's some pretty sharp analysis right there drs. I will admit that the majority of people in Scotland are yet to be convinced of the arguments but there's still a long way to go.

I feel sorry for anyone called Hamish who is from the Highlands who has just been tarred by your ridiculous slur.

You don't really need a reason to keep the status quo - and I don't see a good reason for change....

IMO, the way things are going, we are heading for a United States of Europe and if that's the case I would rather we were part of the UK rather than Scotland on it's own... ( the UK still carries weight on the world stage ) ( I would rather we remained the UK without further integration into a European superstate )

Some smaller points would include..... the £ / Euro ? ( I would rather keep the £ ) / Passports - I was not born in the UK but have a UK passport, I do a lot of travelling and am happy with my UK passport - Do I really want a Scottish one ? no, not really as it seems like an unnecessary hassle..... My GF is from Asia, here in Scotland on a permanent UK visa - Yes, I suppose she could get a Scottish one but is it really worth it ? How many people on those sort of visas would stay in Scotland rather than move to London ? and so it goes on...... My old mother gets free prescriptions and free bus travel ( should she need it ) these all happen NOW and in general, I don't think we are too badly off. We are part of a stable union with our neighbors the way things stand - why change ?

I could be convinced to vote yes - but I've never heard any good reason to.....

You don't really need a reason to keep the status quo - and I don't see a good reason for change....

IMO, the way things are going, we are heading for a United States of Europe and if that's the case I would rather we were part of the UK rather than Scotland on it's own... ( the UK still carries weight on the world stage ) ( I would rather we remained the UK without further integration into a European superstate )

Some smaller points would include..... the £ / Euro ? ( I would rather keep the £ ) / Passports - I was not born in the UK but have a UK passport, I do a lot of travelling and am happy with my UK passport - Do I really want a Scottish one ? no, not really as it seems like an unnecessary hassle..... My GF is from Asia, here in Scotland on a permanent UK visa - Yes, I suppose she could get a Scottish one but is it really worth it ? How many people on those sort of visas would stay in Scotland rather than move to London ? and so it goes on...... My old mother gets free prescriptions and free bus travel ( should she need it ) these all happen NOW and in general, I don't think we are too badly off. We are part of a stable union with our neighbors the way things stand - why change ?

I could be convinced to vote yes - but I've never heard any good reason to.....

I may be wrong and others will provide more detail but I don't think the passport and visa stuff will be affected - I'm pretty certain the British passports will still be valid until they expire anyway.

Your point about the benefits that the parliament have established should surely suggest that given full powers they will be able to continue to improve the lives of those who need it? The cuts that are in the pipeline are going to put all of these things in question.

The question I would ask is: are you happy with the current political set-up in Westminster? I don't just mean the current government, I mean the state of the Labour Party, the increasing threat of UKIP, the FPTP way of electing MPs that has helped force the two main parties to only chase certain floating voters in certain constituencies (mainly in middle England). Was the expenses scandal a surprise to you? And do you trust them to fix it?

These are the issues that (above all others) are driving me to vote Yes in September. I think we've got a chance to build a new political set-up in this country, and although there will be problems and difficulties, it surely can't be any worse than the cesspit that is Westminster. And if it is just as bad then we'll only have ourselves to blame.

I would like our country to be governed by the people who we vote for, first and foremost.

It's already governed by the people "we" vote for. Not that I've ever voted for the Scottish National Party.

Point being there will always be people in Scotland who don't get the government they vote for. :)

That's just the way it is.

A nation, with more powers on the way after the independence referendum, whilst remaining part of the UK, is what's best for Scotland.

That, or an independent nation which would likely cost around £2bn (not £250m) to set up the infrastructure, with higher taxes, an unstable currency, less international political power, less investment in Scottish businesses, higher export costs etc..

There's a few logical reasons to vote No.

What other reasons have you got for voting Yes?

It's already governed by the people "we" vote for. Not that I've ever voted for the Scottish National Party.

Point being there will always be people in Scotland who don't get the government they vote for. :)

That's just the way it is.

A nation, with more powers on the way after the independence referendum, whilst remaining part of the UK, is what's best for Scotland.

That, or an independent nation which would likely cost around £2bn (not £250m) to set up the infrastructure, with higher taxes, an unstable currency, less international political power, less investment in Scottish businesses, higher export costs etc..

Just type too wee too poor

The question I would ask is: are you happy with the current political set-up in Westminster? I don't just mean the current government, I mean the state of the Labour Party, the increasing threat of UKIP, the FPTP way of electing MPs that has helped force the two main parties to only chase certain floating voters in certain constituencies (mainly in middle England). Was the expenses scandal a surprise to you? And do you trust them to fix it?

I said this on another thread. I was shocked that UKIP and other 'further right than they should be' parties got close to 14% of the Scottish vote. This is a big number (although still smaller than England). It's large enough to make me think that, if you're trying to avoid the Westminster swamp,, you're headed for a Holyrood swamp.

This would be reasonable, of course, because Westminster and Holyrood are basically elected by the same people and if Scots try and say, "Naw, we're different" then they are deluded.

Archived