England v Costa Rica

banana

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never going to happen, too big a TV audience, too much advertising revenue for UEFA/FIFA to allow.

It won't happen, but not for the batshit mental conspiracy reasons you suggest. It won't happen because despite not being very good, England are still comfortably in the top 10-15 in Europe. I'm not sure how you'd expect UEFA or FIFA to fix something which is based on a predetermined set of criteria driven by results and results alone.

The Ireland that competed pre WW2 included the Republic of Ireland, of course that counts as part of their footballing history :lol:

They did terribly, obviously, compared to Scotland but they still competed.

Does the GB Olympic team count as part of Scotland's footballing history?

Ireland already had their own international team, competing in Olympic games and World Cup qualifying before WW2. They've never competed at the British Championships (the clue really should be in the name).

Among the drivel I've seen posted on the web in the last couple of hours.

"How come nobody is talking about the fact that England were the only team to take a point off Costa Rica?"

:lol: Clutch those straws with both hands pal.

Surely no one is actually trying to suggest that England performed better in a World Cup in which they were fucked out at the group stage garnering a solitary point against a Costa Rica side (who played for the point they required) and "unluckily" losing to a woeful Italy side (who lost their other games), and Uruguay (whose half-fit striker single-handedly won the game)?

Utterly ridiculous. Granted not qualifying has at least saved them from a repeat of the sort of arse-fucking Germany gave them last time round. Always a positive.

Gordon Strachan suggested it.

Does the GB Olympic team count as part of Scotland's footballing history?

Ireland already had their own international team, competing in Olympic games and World Cup qualifying before WW2. They've never competed at the British Championships (the clue really should be in the name).

Er, no Scottish players played in the Olympic Games whilst Irish players were selected to represent Ireland in the British Home Championship.

That is the second horrendous error you have made, will you ever learn :1eye

I'm not sure how you'd expect UEFA or FIFA to fix something which is based on a predetermined set of criteria driven by results and results alone.

One idea would be to stop counting friendlies. Base the rankings on competitive matches only and England's artificially high placement would soon suffer, along with their favoured seeding. Does anyone 'really' think they were the 10th best side in the world going into this competition? Or that they were 3rd best only 2 years ago?

Er, no Scottish players played in the Olympic Games whilst Irish players were selected to represent Ireland in the British Home Championship.

Are Kim Little and Ifeoma Dieke not Scottish like? :huh:

Scots (including Scottish internationals) have represented the British mens team at previous Olympics as well.

It won't happen, but not for the batshit mental conspiracy reasons you suggest. It won't happen because despite not being very good, England are still comfortably in the top 10-15 in Europe. I'm not sure how you'd expect UEFA or FIFA to fix something which is based on a predetermined set of criteria driven by results and results alone.

One idea would be to stop counting friendlies. Base the rankings on competitive matches only and England's artificially high placement would soon suffer, along with their favoured seeding. Does anyone 'really' think they were the 10th best side in the world going into this competition? Or that they were 3rd best only 2 years ago?

A combination of the two, FIFA/UEFA will still count England friendlies against international sides significantly inferior in their favour, and there's always the "Wembley" factor for teams that still seem to be "overwhelmed" playing there.

Are Kim Little and Ifeoma Dieke not Scottish like? :huh:

Scots (including Scottish internationals) have represented the British mens team at previous Olympics as well.

This is so fucking desperate, bringing in womens football :lol:

But, yes, of course it's part of Scottish womens footballing history - that topic I was absolutely, clearly, not discussing. And if Scottish internationals played in Olympic mens football in the distant past then so is that - I'm hardly going to totally discount it because it goes against my point of view. That's your shtick remember? No Scottish players represented the GB Olympic team in the most recent opportunity, and I highly doubt they ever will.

Do you really think the Republic of Ireland is a better footballing nation than Scotland? :lol:

I think a major problem is that they always seem to attempt to copy other nations set ups tactically, when they aren't good enough for it.

They don't have the range of players, especially in defence to play a possession based game, nor do they have the pace and tactical discipline for a purely counter attacking game.

They pretty much should play 4-4-2, and play direct. Their players are technically or tactically developed enough when they come together as a team for anything else.

^^^ Sepp Blatter imo

You made a tit of yourself and your response was to try and pretend we were actually discussing womens football all along, despite the enormous evidence to the contrary.

Oh Carl, will you ever catch a break? :(

You made a tit of yourself and your response was to try and pretend we were actually discussing womens football all along, despite the enormous evidence to the contrary.

Oh Carl, will you ever catch a break? :(

I'm not pretending anything. We're discussing footballing history and footballing nations. Let's just remind you of what you said:

Kim Little is a highly decorated professional footballer. She's got nearly 100 Scotland caps and she's only 23. She plays at the vey highest level of the game in the USA, and she's the only Scottish footballer for a long long time that could possibly described as 'World class'. To say it's "f*cking desperate" to point out that she is a Scottish player who played at the Olympics is not only moronic, it's demeaning and sexist.

You should start ghost-writing Tam Cowan's columns.

Archived