Celtic European Campaign 2014-15

TheGreenMonster

I'm not saying we should be losing to Legia or Maribor, however in the last two seasons we have competed amongst our peers in Europe

Well, last season Celtic scraped past another minnow in the woeful Shakhtar Karagandy, before performing embarrassingly badly in the actual group stages.

This time out you have been utterly destroyed by Legia Warsaw, a club with nothing like Celtic's resources, and then papped out by Slovenian minnows.

That isn't "competing amongst your peers" m8.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perhaps at some point you'll explain the relevance of comparing Celtic to Premiership sides who don't play in the Champions League at all, or do so at a level far beyond Celtic and against whom Celtic, due to the Champions Route, don't have to play against?

In your own time.

Well, last season Celtic scraped past another minnow in the woeful Shakhtar Karagandy, before performing embarrassingly badly in the actual group stages.

This time out you have been utterly destroyed by Legia Warsaw, a club with nothing like Celtic's resources, and then papped out by Slovenian minnows.

That isn't "competing amongst your peers" m8.

Winning 3 qualifying rounds, making the group stage and winning a game against Ajax.

We were unfortunate against AC Milan, but given the respective wage bills 3 points from Ajax seems about right.

You were the one who brought up the Premiership btw, cuntybaws.

Im sorry but Celtic have nobody but themselves to blame for going out of the UCL. Wee McGregor was the best Celtic player on the park last night and hes came from the youths, Celtic more interested in spending over the odds on a load of foreign dud squad players and punting guys like Watt from the club.

Im sorry but Celtic have nobody but themselves to blame for going out of the UCL. Wee McGregor was the best Celtic player on the park last night and hes came from the youths, Celtic more interested in spending over the odds on a load of foreign dud squad players and punting guys like Watt from the club.

I am sure lawell has someone in mind who he can blame at marribor and get them reinstated.

It wasn't the worst result ever because it wasn't really unexpected was it?

Nuechatl Xamax was, for my money, the worst.

No-one had heard of them and Celtic had a pretty decent side at the time and that result was totally unexpected.

It was back in 1991 and Celtic were stuffed with dross like Stevie Fulton and Mark McNally in their line-up. And it was only in the UEFA Cup anyway. Granted, the current Celtic side is also packed full of utter dross, but it is dross signed and paid for with a much, much larger budget than any of their opponents - far bigger in 2014 than the gulf between themselves and European dross they got humiliated by, regularly, in the 1990s.

Perhaps at some point you'll explain the relevance of comparing Celtic to Premiership sides who don't play in the Champions League at all, or do so at a level far beyond Celtic and against whom Celtic, due to the Champions Route, don't have to play against?

In your own time.

Relevant in terms of attracting players, we could attract premiership level players (Sutton, hartson etc) 10 years ago, now we cant even match the wages of bottom EPL/ top of championship. There for we have to go further down the leagues or further afield where there is more chance of duds. Its one of many problems we face now getting in any sort of quality and if we do,we cant keep them for long.

To be quite honest I'd be fucking delighted if the rest of Scottish football was in someway responsible for Celtic's absolute and utter humiliation. I'd wear that as a badge of honour.

Us, the diddies, got Celtic papped out of Europe twice. Get that fucking up ye.

Fingers crossed we can contribute to the 3rd elimination.

Natural justice has prevailed (which, as we know, is unusual in football). Under the circumstances, Celtic fans can't be too upset.

They will still win the league, IMO, which doesn't say a lot for Scottish football. Hope I'm proved wrong. Scottish football needs a strong Somebody Else.

Scottish football could do with two strong Somebody Elses (with the Somebody Elses changing every few seasons, à la the old Highland League), and less emphasis on two clubs in Glasgow with huge supports, IMO

What was the story regarding crowd trouble at park head last night?

Some of our fans decided to get all upset at Maribor fans waving a Norn Iron Fleg. Then said idiots from Maribor set fire to a Celtic scarf and thought a Birmingham palace flag would upset us, not sure why?Basically our ned element and the entire 16 maribor fans where a total disgrace. I noticed it in the Warsaw game too, a real underclass, Celtic and Rangers have always had that element but to me the underclass seems to be growing? Maybe our glory hunters will not be back, good for the true fans if that is the case. One of our fans made a racist comment about ambrose. I was at the game and clapped my team off the pitch, even though to do so risked someone giving me a thump to be honest. And yeah I'm not a Glaswegian but my family are all from that sort of area passed on from my father so you can't say it is unreasonable to support the same team that your parent did. To me I am faithful through and through. Those fans of Diddy clubs saying he is Mowbray are wrong, Deila does know his stuff he just was to swayed by the media on Commons,and the attack minded philosophy, a negative strategy would have seen us through but thanks to Legia debacle he had a lot of calls to play commons, 2 up front and all the usual backward, antiquated strategies that the top European teams don't use, not to mention Mowbray got a fortune to spend on Keane and others and did he haw, all we give Ronny is Buttons. Not because of personal but because Maribor tend to play 4-4-2 even though that switches to 4-6-0 without the ball, I think their tactics will seem the defeated heavily in Europe just as we would have been, and folk will over look the god awful strategy Maribor use and say it was all down to average players, average players playing 4-4-2 results in hammering, average players play 4-3-2-1 results in narrow losses, the odd draw and maybe a flukey win here and there.

I think my girlfriend is voting "yes" in the elections..............When i f**ked her last night .......she kept saying....."yes yes yes" lol

Do they have speaking inflatable women now?

:lol:

Aye, it's all the league's fault.

Celtic would clearly be a more appealing prospect for potential signings if they played in a better league, that is undeniable. That's not saying it's the league's 'fault' per se, it's just the reality of the situation.

The thing to do in that situation seems to be to develop youth, but we don't have many aside from McGregor who could make the grade at the moment.

To be fair, it'll probably work out better for Tony Watt to have left Scotland at this stage in his life/career. I wish more Scottish players were willing to take that gamble rather than hang out in the stagnant goldfish bowl.

Wasn't that Ambrose abomination of a player also touted for a big move?

Struggling to decide who is worse between him and that Mohni character Rangers have.

Moshni clearly. Moshni cant make 5 yards passes, does as many bomb scare things as ambrose gives away more fouls and doesn't have the pace of Ambrose to correct his own feck ups. Ambrose is made to look crap by full time journey men European teams, Moshni looks bad vs plumbers etc in the Petrofac/Ramsdens cup.

celtic supporting mate text me earlier saying there is a strong anti board/lawell feeling growing more apparent at parkhead lately and that talks of boycotts for the europa are being discussed on their forums , howver i refuse to look :lol: supposedly a couple of hundred were out protesting last night .... with not a candle in sight.

Just out of interest, are you able to provide an accurate figure for the wage bill at Celtic and the top 20 clubs in England?

I've said it a few times on here, but Celtic seem to get terrible value for money for what they pay.

I agree with this. We seem to go to the same agent time and time again....

Celtic would clearly be a more appealing prospect for potential signings if they played in a better league, that is undeniable. That's not saying it's the league's 'fault' per se, it's just the reality of the situation.

The thing to do in that situation seems to be to develop youth, but we don't have many aside from McGregor who could make the grade at the moment.

But as had been pointed in out numerous occasions your "peers" in the Champions qualifying section all face similar problems on a grander scale with even less of a budget, they still manage to outperform you without attracting these mythical players.

Salzburg are the only possible team that could rival your financial strength in this section.

Archived