Celtic European Campaign 2014-15

TheGreenMonster

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Salzburg & Dinamo are at least on par with Legia. Both are undeniably better than Maribor as well.

Salzburg are easily the weakest of the top seeds though, Malmo stuffed them 3-0 through the week. Dinamo one of the weakest of the third seeds as well.

Zagreb away would be a tremendous match for the fans. Croatian women and Croatian beer are both phenomenal.

Just noticed that Astra put Lyon out in the last round. Maybe not to be under estimated.

Salzburg are easily the weakest of the top seeds though, Malmo stuffed them 3-0 through the week. Dinamo one of the weakest of the third seeds as well.

Oh, absolutely. Neither side are great by any means and it's probably a decent draw over the piece for Celtic, but if they're getting pumped by Legia and Maribor, then they'll struggle against this lot as well. You've only got to look at Wolfsburg who were in Celtic's pot to see how difficult it could have been for them.

I'm loving the in-depth knowledge of the Austrian, Croatian and Romanian leagues and their Champions' respective quality compared to sides from other leagues in Europe.

Presumably if we got Lyon rather than Astra we would have a harder group, because they're fae France and we've all heard of them?

I appear to be the only one who thinks Celtic might struggle here. Salzburg and Zagreb are both good teams. Never heard of the Romanian lot bit given the teams they have come up against, they can't be discounted. Celtic are poor right now, we can't judge them on performances of 10 years ago (or even last year for that matter).

Agree to an extent, there should be something in place that means a % of any European prize money is given to the FA for general development of the game in the domestic country.

This is the case already - the SPFL and SFA receive some money and had Celtic reached the CL groups every other Premiership club would have received £110k or something similar. Problem is that while the money is nice to have it's fairly trifling compared to the sums the CL clubs get. But that's UEFA's decision, ultimately.

I disagree that they buy up half decent players from Scotland. Celtic at least, haven't done that for quite some time.

The biggest problem with Scottish football is the constant comparisons with the English game, despite there being very little basis for any comparison ever being favourable on Scotland. We are a 10th of the size of England, of course we are going to have less.

Perhaps if the media hadn't bought into David Murray's "10er for every 5er" spending policy and put pressure on other teams to do the same, it might not have hit the levels it did a few years ago. Despite this years European results, the domestic game is healthier than it has been for a while.

Agreed.

As for Celtic's draw: it's a decent draw, although it won't excite the fans to turn-out, and if they can get themselves organised they can definetely aim to progress given 2 of 4 do.

Legia blaming Celtic for a mistake they made which brought a decision from Uefa to expel them is tear-stained, clutching at straws behaviour. Both from officials of the club and their fans.

If it winds up a few of the scheme goblins among the Celtic support, though, then I'm all for it.

They weren't expelled fwiw

I'm loving the in-depth knowledge of the Austrian, Croatian and Romanian leagues and their Champions' respective quality compared to sides from other leagues in Europe.

Presumably if we got Lyon rather than Astra we would have a harder group, because they're fae France and we've all heard of them?

No, I think everyone knows that no matter who Celtic drew they will manage to humiliate themselves under their comical management team.

I disagree that they buy up half decent players from Scotland. Celtic at least, haven't done that for quite some time.

They haven't done it since the last time a team looked like threatening the top two, and wont do it till it happens again.

They haven't done it since the last time a team looked like threatening the top two, and wont do it till it happens again.

Who was the last player we signed for the sole purpose of weakening another team?

Archived