Dundee FC vs Kilmarnock - 09/08/2014

Dee still going to be top of the league ?? By sounds of it they lucky they not had a total roasting of the 2nd worst team in the league. Long season ahead

Eh? The second half was dominated by Dundee and the first was equal. We deserved to win the match on possession and chances.

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

but Dundee were going to be winning this game 3 4 or even 5 nil.... . As I said few weeks back. The league a lot tougher than you guys expect. Will stand you in good stead this result and make you realise every week a right good battle. How did ex saint dyer play ?

Which imaginary thread was this on?

Pretty decent game. Both teams played well and we probably just shaded it.

Anybody who thinks McPake and Thomson can't play is clueless because they were both immense.

Thought the young Killie forward looked a real prospect.

Points are hard fought on this league.

I enjoyed that. Good game, both teams had long spells of dominance. Killie in the first half looked far more dangerous and should have scored a couple of goals. Dundee totally dominated the second half and played some really good stuff but lacked a bit of cutting edge upfront. The second half wasn't helped by the Killie substitutions though, they were clearly going to settle for a draw with about half an hour to go. Eremenko on for Johnston was a particularly strange substitution but mainly because it should have been another player going off.

On that note, take a bow Tope Obadeyi. Without doubt one of the worst competitive debuts I have seen in a long time. He fluffed two glorious chances and looked really poor on the ball. At times it looked like he wasn't even sure what he was doing and it was a bad decision to take Johnston off and leave him on the park.

Kilmarnock relied too much on long balls towards Magennis despite then not working at all, they looked stronger when they actually played the ball through midfield.

Thomson, McGowan and Harkins all played well for Dundee and if they can keep them fit and in form they could make the difference for them this year.

On the whole I just really enjoyed the football being back!

Damn, so close to the three points. Thought we were really unlucky not to win the game in the second half. Killie played well in the first half but fell out of it in the second and from there it was one day traffic; credit to Samson who played a blinder.

Soft penalty imo for our goal but not complaining! Killie free kick was an absolute screamer. Pick it out.

Promising performance for our first league game, we certainly didn't look out of place. Roll on Wednesday, onwards and upwards.

Think we deserved a win based on the performance in the second half. First half we were a bit too casual on the ball which caused us problems. Would say most of Kilmarnock's good chances came from us giving it away. They seemed to play a lot of long balls up to the two big guys upfront. Samson kept Killie in it second half. Letheren worries me though. So slow to come off his line and looks dodgy from crossed balls.

Can't agree - looked nervous today - and I thought he was caught unawares by the free kick.

Have to say with Spud here. It seemed he didn't pick up the free kick at all and from my viewpoint, straight behind the taker, the ball hit the net at the back corner not just inside the post. Peaso's effort at the end was much better and was saved. He may well have been unsighted and these things happen, but it's his huge unwillingness to leave his line that alarms me more. Not just when there are balls coming into the box offensively but when the ball is on its way back after things have broken up for the opposition. He waits when he should come and get it. We want to play out quickly from the back and this costs us.

From Killie's Official Twitter account.

Kilmarnock FC @OfficialKillie · 36m
After an even first half Killie held on in the second half to earn a point against an impressive Dundee side. A good away point.

andyh, on 09 Aug 2014 - 14:58, said:

what an ignorant p***k willie miller is!

What did he say?

WFAANW, on 09 Aug 2014 - 15:28, said:

James McPake :lol:

Kyle Letheren :lol:

McPake was solid today. Letheren a little shaky but pulled off a great save at the start of the game.

Alert Mongoose, on 09 Aug 2014 - 15:47, said:

Mcpake feigning injury already? Never seen that coming.

Aye stitches are symptoms of feigning injury so they are.

Anyways onto the game, thought we had the better of proceedings but in the first half, Killie had the better chances with an absolute cracker of a free-kick. Harkins went down very softly for the penalty. McLean as referee had a nightmare for both sides, I had to laugh at one point when Thomson was clearly fouled, expected the whistle to blow and proceeded to pick the ball up only for McLean to be daydreaming so Thomson played straight on.

We struggled in the first half because Killie were just playing long punts to Magennis who is never a football player by the way, but was dominant in the air which allowed Killie to advance on us whilst our wing backs were still in Killie's half and with the magic of Chris Johnston it's always dangerous.

Second half and it was all Dundee, Allan Johnston bringing on Eremenko for Johnston which was a bizarre substitution as it slowed Killie's counters down and allowed us to dominate the midfield even more easily than we had been doing. Samson pulled off a range of decent saves and kept Killie in the game. We really should have picked up 3 points.

Disappointments for Dundee today was Tankulic having to come so deep that he couldn't really have an effect on the game in the position he is most effective. Letheren was shaky as I mentioned but pulled off a fantastic save from a Magennis header which I thought was going to burst the net.

In summary, Dundee dominated throughout bar a 20-15 minute spell in the first half but Killie could have been walking away with all 3 points if they'd taken the opportunities we'd given to them by being far too casual at times and passing it straight to a Kilmarnock man in a dangerous position. On another day, we could have been punished.

Couldn't make this in the end sounds like we could have won it. BBC commentators on rado were all over Dees keepers positioning at free kick goal

It was a good free kick kylie made a top save at the start of the game wish people would lay off him

Thought it was a good game. Thought we played some decent stuff at times, thought they looked decent as well. Last year I went away with my puss tripping me even after we'd won. Today I went away smiling, looking forward to seeing some decent football. Well done to Killie, played their part in what was, for me, a good game to watch.

Archived