Does anyone here believe we can't use the pound?

gazelle

You obviously don't know how things work. Normally best to refrain from comment in such circumstances.

So the UK aren't entitled to the any assets in the BOE or the debt ? It will be the BOE who'll decide whether they'll be a currency union and not the UK ?

ETA they keep telling us it's the UKs pound.. Surely it would be the BOEs pound ?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why would the staff go a Scottish exchequer? If we are walking away from UK debts and assets then we can take nothing for granted. The buildings might be there but would the IT work?

This Scottish exchequer in the pipeline? would we not be better waiting on the sovereign will of the Scottish people before spending money on this?

Hmrc it is run by a cartel of private companies on contract. They don't care who pays them - the it will work.

Politicians are renowned for saying one thing before a vote and another after. Of course there will be a currency union. The devil will be in the detail and that's where any Scottish Government, whatever political persuasion , will have to negotiate hard - if there is a Yes vote.

The Bank of England is an institution not an asset. Scotland will not be entitled to a share of institutions.

A currency union is in the best interests of Scotland. It is not necessarily un rhe interests of the UK. There is a chance of a currency union but only in a particular set of circumstances that are unlikely to occur. If Scotland reneges on debt there will be serious consequences for the secession negotiations so anyone promoting that is not acting in Scotland's best interests. Scotland will also be denied membership of the EU if they refuse their share of debt. That of course is not necessarily a bad thing in some peoples opinion.

You surely don't know how things work, perhaps you could spend some effort in explaining the difference between an institution and an asset.

In the case of the BoE, it has a balance sheet and therefore has assets and liabilities. In the event of a Yes vote these would be part of any negotiation.

You surely don't know how things work, perhaps you could spend some effort in explaining the difference between an institution and an asset.

In the case of the BoE, it has a balance sheet and therefore has assets and liabilities. In the event of a Yes vote these would be part of any negotiation.

The £ is no more an "asset" than the kilogram is. It is a unit of measurement in a regulatory monetary framework. The RUK cannot be forced by another sovereign state to share the regulatory framework and to pool assets for the purposes of creating a functioning currency throughout the territories.

The institutions of the UK, including its central bank, governmental departments, and diplomatic groups remain the institutions of the rUK in the event of secession according to international law. What happens to the assets that belong to those institutions is a separate question, which is governed by different principles of international law concerning equitable apportionment.

Scotland can be entitled to a proportion of the reserves of the Bank of England, but it doesn't mean they will therefore be entitled to share the currency itself or the regulatory framework and institutions that sustain it.

Quite simply I believe it's because a great deal of No voters just don't give a f**k. They're voting No to protect THEIR pension, THEIR mortgage and THEIR job. They couldn't give a shit about the rest of Scotland. If everything for them is fine in the UK, why should they give a f**k about anyone else

I truly think a large swathe of No voters think this way.

Our job is to persuade soft No voters and don't knows to give a f**k and show some basic human empathy.

Whereas, to put it quite simply the majority of yessers contribute f**k all to society, and are voting yes on some vague promises about a "fairer society", which they interpret to mean they'll get more handouts and a bigger giro.

The £ is no more an "asset" than the kilogram is. It is a unit of measurement in a regulatory monetary framework. The RUK cannot be forced by another sovereign state to share the regulatory framework and to pool assets for the purposes of creating a functioning currency throughout the territories.

The institutions of the UK, including its central bank, governmental departments, and diplomatic groups remain the institutions of the rUK in the event of secession according to international law. What happens to the assets that belong to those institutions is a separate question, which is governed by different principles of international law concerning equitable apportionment.

Scotland can be entitled to a proportion of the reserves of the Bank of England, but it doesn't mean they will therefore be entitled to share the currency itself or the regulatory framework and institutions that sustain it.

Now you've covered the BT side of it, perhaps you could cover the Yes side, you know, the side you support, and confirm that they cannot force us to assume our "share" of the debt? Probably too much too ask to ask you to support the Yes argument, but I thought I'd give it a whirl.

Whereas, to put it quite simply the majority of yessers contribute f**k all to society, and are voting yes on some vague promises about a "fairer society", which they interpret to mean they'll get more handouts and a bigger giro.

I know you think you're being clever. I know that's how it appears in your head. In reality, everyone thinks you're a fanny.

HTH.

Noticeable that Yes voters keep asserting in this thread without evidence that there WILL be a currency union.

As if capital letters will make it happen.

In much the same way that we WILL get extra powers in the event of a No vote you mean?

Not back to this pish again. Repeating the same shit will not make it right.

Just to dispel this notion that the £ is the same as a Kg. Can you tell me which international standards agency determines what a pound is equal to? Does this vary dependant on external factors? Does an alternative unit to the £ exist on a fixed conversion?

For example; A farmer cannot turn 1kg of barley into 2kg just by printing a ticket that states that it is 2kg. A currency issuing government can perform this in terms of a unit of currency and indeed the UK has done so to the tune of many £blns.

The UK want Scotland to take on a share of the UK government gilts (issued in £s) without any say over the worth of the same £. If the UK were to tighten fiscal policy then Scotland (with it's own currency) would then contribute more relative to the initial debt. This is why the two issues are being linked.

Now you've covered the BT side of it, perhaps you could cover the Yes side, you know, the side you support, and confirm that they cannot force us to assume our "share" of the debt? Probably too much too ask to ask you to support the Yes argument, but I thought I'd give it a whirl.

I know you think you're being clever. I know that's how it appears in your head. In reality, everyone thinks you're a fanny.

HTH.

Thanks for proving my point about yessers, now go out and get a job, it can't be that difficult, thousands of eastern europeans have managed to do so.

One issue that doesn't seem to be raised much is the point that its not really governments that decide issues relating to currencies and monetary policies. Obviously they have an input but will the City of London not have more of a say than Westminster politicians? The banking men don't give a f**k about petty politics but are more concerned that 5 1/2 million people will still be paying mortgages, buying stuff, investing, etc.

The idea that Westminster will be able to cut Scotland off and leave them up shit creek is simply not credible.

Negotiations will take place and deals will be done. In some areas we will lose out, in some areas we will gain.

Thanks for proving my point about yessers, now go out and get a job, it can't be that difficult, thousands of eastern europeans have managed to do so.

f**k off you child. You add nothing of any value to this (or any) debate.

Ah.

Whataboutery.

Ok then.

^^^ claiming whataboutery when he has no answer

Ah so you're a racist as well as a hater of those on benefits. Yup, definite No voter.

Thanks for showing that you are a c**t. No more, no less. Reynardesque shall we say.

One issue that doesn't seem to be raised much is the point that its not really governments that decide issues relating to currencies and monetary policies. Obviously they have an input but will the City of London not have more of a say than Westminster politicians? The banking men don't give a f**k about petty politics but are more concerned that 5 1/2 million people will still be paying mortgages, buying stuff, investing, etc.

The idea that Westminster will be able to cut Scotland off and leave them up shit creek is simply not credible.

Negotiations will take place and deals will be done. In some areas we will lose out, in some areas we will gain.

Exactly this. Capitalism will make sure that there is a currency union in much the same way that it made the UK announce that it was accepting liability for all the debt.

Archived