Does anyone here believe we can't use the pound?

gazelle

The £ is no more an "asset" than the kilogram is. It is a unit of measurement in a regulatory monetary framework. The RUK cannot be forced by another sovereign state to share the regulatory framework and to pool assets for the purposes of creating a functioning currency throughout the territories.

The institutions of the UK, including its central bank, governmental departments, and diplomatic groups remain the institutions of the rUK in the event of secession according to international law. What happens to the assets that belong to those institutions is a separate question, which is governed by different principles of international law concerning equitable apportionment.

Scotland can be entitled to a proportion of the reserves of the Bank of England, but it doesn't mean they will therefore be entitled to share the currency itself or the regulatory framework and institutions that sustain it.

Who is saying that the rUK will be forced into a CU by Scotland?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its seems to me that there will 'probably' be deals done and there 'may well be' some form of CU (I've maybe missed something but I thought any new members to the EU were supposed to join the Euro but I guess not seeing as this doesn't seem to get a mention). In good old fashioned P & B style the debate seems to be along the black and white 100% one thing or the other with the assets V share of the debt. Its seems more likely to me that in the (unlikely I think) event that Scotland got independence then the deals would be started fairly quickly but there would be so many different strands to the deals and all inter connected that this would be where the problems arise. If we're say halfway down the path of getting things sorted and hit a brick wall this seems like a more likely scenario than the "gies our assets or we're not paying any debts" all or nothing approach.

Its seems to me that there will 'probably' be deals done and there 'may well be' some form of CU (I've maybe missed something but I thought any new members to the EU were supposed to join the Euro but I guess not seeing as this doesn't seem to get a mention). In good old fashioned P & B style the debate seems to be along the black and white 100% one thing or the other with the assets V share of the debt. Its seems more likely to me that in the (unlikely I think) event that Scotland got independence then the deals would be started fairly quickly but there would be so many different strands to the deals and all inter connected that this would be where the problems arise. If we're say halfway down the path of getting things sorted and hit a brick wall this seems like a more likely scenario than the "gies our assets or we're not paying any debts" all or nothing approach.

It's a myth that you need to join the Euro. See Poland and Czech Republic.

f**k off you child. You add nothing of any value to this (or any) debate.

Ah such a trenchant argument from a poster who's far too stupid to realise that "Braveheart" was not an accurate description of historical fact. I believe Jim Sillars has already described the policy you are attempting to defend as "stupidity on stilts", but you hang on in there champ and keep posting untill it's time to don your paper hat and go to work.

Ah such a trenchant argument from a poster who's far too stupid to realise that "Braveheart" was not an accurate description of historical fact. I believe Jim Sillars has already described the policy you are attempting to defend as "stupidity on stilts", but you hang on in there champ and keep posting untill it's time to don your paper hat and go to work.

Kudos for pointing out that a Hollywood movie directed by Mel Gibson is inaccurate. Fanny.

^^^ claiming whataboutery when he has no answer

As if you'd listen to any answer from the other side!

It WAS whataboutery, though. My post was about people asserting stuff that was just their own opinion BUT USING CAPS LOCK.

(See? I can assert stuff by using Caps Lock, too)

:)

^^^ claiming whataboutery when he has no answer

Ah so you're a racist as well as a hater of those on benefits. Yup, definite No voter.

Not at all, I'm just sorry that for every hardworking eastern european that comes here we can't get rid of one of our home grown scroungers, like yourself.

Ah such a trenchant argument from a poster who's far too stupid to realise that "Braveheart" was not an accurate description of historical fact.

I believe you're the fanny for thinking anyone thinks it is historically accurate.

But then you've displayed many, many examples of being a fanny that this is just another layer to your overall fanny-ness.

Fanny.

As if you'd listen to any answer from the other side!

It WAS whataboutery, though. My post was about people asserting stuff that was just their own opinion BUT USING CAPS LOCK.

(See? I can assert stuff by using Caps Lock, too)

Well done on the assertion.

As for not listening to the other side, many, many posters on this sub forum will vouch for the fact that I have asked No voters on at least a dozen occasions why we're Better Together, and have had precisely f**k all back.

I believe you're the fanny for thinking anyone thinks it is historically accurate.

But then you've displayed many, many examples of being a fanny that this is just another layer to your overall fanny-ness.

Fanny.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

On the verge of tears.

So if we vote yes, and the UK refuses a CU, Scotland would then not accept any debt. Presumably this would put relations with the UK at a state of political 'war' - so how do the Yes campaign think this would impact on EU membership? NATO membership, could we lend form markets ? and if so at what kind of rate? could the UK remove access to shared infrastructure Tax, NI, etc. this would go hand in hand with a fight over trident.

I think the walking away from debt is not a vote winner and could be the yes camps next Plan B nightmare. It might play well with existing yes voters. particularly the more militant, but the existing yes voters aren't enough.

Walking away from the debt would have an adverse effect on how Scotland was viewed by the financial markets.

It's a ludicrous suggestion.

Walking away from the debt would have an adverse effect on how Scotland was viewed by the financial markets.

It's a ludicrous suggestion.

Every bit as ludicrous, IMO, as Westminster going in the huff and sticking their petted lip out at a CU.

Every bit as ludicrous, IMO, as Westminster going in the huff and sticking their petted lip out at a CU.

I think both sides have been petulant - YES by basically telling rUK there will be a CU and NO for their downright rejection.

I personally think the issue with CU is that what would be acceptable to either side is miles apart.

I genuinely wish the SNP had had the guts of going the iCurrency route instead of what is clearly a don't-worry-the-electorate policy with CU.

Archived