Sportsound Watch

16 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I'd like one off finals at neutral venues.

1St of all i want to say this is my opinion on the matter.

I want to give Doncaster credit for the playoffs. I think he knew he had to weigh them heavily in favour of the Premiership team (unless you Hibs it) to get them introduced.

After a few years I believe we will see a change to the way they're structured but for now at least we have them.

The crowds that attend these matches the last 3 seasons and the excitement of them really shows how fucked up the SPL were not having them.

It's incredibly difficult for any team to finish 3rd or 4th and go up. The schedule last season was a shambles - Wed-Sat-Tue-Fri for Hibs is pathetic. Four high pressure matches in nine days. And that's without even going into the conflicts had they made the final alongside playing the Cup final in between.

Of course you could argue 3rd or 4th don't deserve to go up, probably fair, but if you're going to do that, don't bother putting them into the play-offs and just make it 11th v 2nd. 

In an ideal world I'd have 12-12 in the top two tiers, with two automatically up/down and 10th facing 5th over two legs, 3rd facing 4th, with a neutral venue final. 5th don't deserve to go up so get the toughest tie, but they're in to preserve the fairness of both finalists playing matches beforehand, and to keep excitement in the Championship. A neutral venue final seems an obvious improvement to me.

The play-offs in the format they are in aren't great, fair or even especially exciting but I understand it's a work in progress. Give it five more years we may see it better organised. 

Edited by Paco

But they hardly deserve promotion though.  They've only managed 4th in a 10 team league.  You'd be as well having an 8 team knockout tournament at the end with the winner joining the league champions in the Premiership.  Naturally the bottom place in the league season goes down.

It's a nonsense.  Only 1st and 2nd in a 10 team league should be rewarded.

But they hardly deserve promotion though.  They've only managed 4th in a 10 team league.  You'd be as well having an 8 team knockout tournament at the end with the winner joining the league champions in the Premiership.  Naturally the bottom place in the league season goes down.

It's a nonsense.  Only 1st and 2nd in a 10 team league should be rewarded.

I dunno. I've enjoyed it in the lower leagues. We've finished 2nd and not went up on a few occasions and finished 4th and have went up. Never even crossed my mind. Makes the league more exciting for me. Barely any meaningless games.

2 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I dunno. I've enjoyed it in the lower leagues. We've finished 2nd and not went up on a few occasions and finished 4th and have went up. Never even crossed my mind. Makes the league more exciting for me. Barely any meaningless games.

I'd be positively #seething if my team finished 2nd and lost out on a promotion chance to the 4th place team. Surely the long slog of the 9 month season should be what the prizes are handed out for?  Not how good you are in a 2 legged knockout scenario at the end of it?

It is what it is I suppose.

I'd be positively #seething if my team finished 2nd and lost out on a promotion chance to the 4th place team. Surely the long slog of the 9 month season should be what the prizes are handed out for?  Not how good you are in a 2 legged knockout scenario at the end of it?
It is what it is I suppose.

Well it's a bit different too as it's 2nd v 3rd and 4th v 9th so there's barely even advantage. This season we'll be playing Elgin in the 1st leg as things stand when I'd much rather be playing 4th or even 9th...!

Happened to us twice when in League 2 and will maybe happen again this season and it's happened to us once in League 1, Dumbarton finished 3rd and because they beat us in the play off semi and got to the final they went/stayed up along with the other finalist (9th placed Airdrie) because Rangers died. That was the one year I was seething.

But you know what the script is at the start of the year, and we've benefitted from finishing 4th too so doesn't bother me. First place deserves to go up, after that everyone is just runners up anyway.

I've never understood the argument about "4th place could finish 20 points behind 2nd" or whatever - what if 2nd place finish 20 points behind 1st, do they deserve to go up automatically? What if it's goal difference that splits the teams - is that somehow better? I suppose maybe you could have an argument for the 4th team only getting a playoff spot if they are within a set number of points (or even a percentage of the 3rd teams points total rounded up) but that would add an extra complication and uncertainty for very little reward. All teams know that a top 4 place gets you in the playoff so it's fair enough IMO. And I say that as a fan of a team with an appalling record in playoffs (three attempts, three failures to go up/stay up).

12 minutes ago, bennett said:

Spiers has more faces than the toon clock, just a few weeks after saying how much he rated Cathro, now he doesn't rate him

Sounds more like a change of opinion rather than being two-faced, tbh.

Spiers commended the appointment of Cathro but was very clear that he didn't see it being a success irrc. Wished him all the best but was cautious not to hail the decision like some others had