Sportsound Watch

3 hours ago, AMMjag said:

I much prefer the time Walter Smith did him. Listen closely and you can just make out the sound of his tears splashing on the floor

Not remotely amusing.

The p***ks concerned are even more despicable than the object of their bullying and the daft wee scrote has dined out on it since anyway.

On 4/8/2018 at 10:54, Hammer Jag said:

Shout out to big Davie Currie. This man deserves enormous credit for holding down a job with a publicly funded broadcaster for as long as he has. Especially as he seems unable to complete a sentence without stuttering or giggling.

Sons fan 8)

Les Gray referred to the guy that got his throat slit after an old firm game at Parkhead.

The only case that I can think of was that of Mark Scott, who got his throat slit after a Celtic - Thistle game, by a bloke standing outside a pub.

12 hours ago, williemillersmoustache said:

This Les fella is McCabe IMHO.

As much as folk moan about the matchday coverage, the weeknight "discussion" shows are brutal. Just bin those already and focus resources on the actual football.

Guest Moomintroll
Les Gray referred to the guy that got his throat slit after an old firm game at Parkhead.

The only case that I can think of was that of Mark Scott, who got his throat slit after a Celtic - Thistle game.

Jason Campbell was its name, remember that he actually tried to be reclassified as a terrorist category prisoner. Without coming over all Lovejoy, what actually goes through these peoples minds when they equate a game of football to that sort of response.

22 hours ago, virginton said:

Pretty sure that BBC Scotland's London paymasters don't actually insist in Sportsound employing useless clowns in the programme. Nice try though at presenting yet more mewling, irrelevant drivel to cover up for piss poor broadcasting. 

It's a silly comparison to make. 

Small town clubs like Queen of the South , or indeed Morton would be unlikely to get mentioned until the classifieds On Radio 5 Live.

Morecambe, for example,  will be covered by the journalist at Radio Lancashire who's deemed not yet ready for Blackburn Rovers or Oldham Athletic games

They announced last night's show by stating they would start by discussing the post-split fixtures.

What transpired was a discussion about ONE FIXTURE. The final village idiot contest of the season.

The pundits, on the back of Rodgers' comments, stated that this wonderful world-renowned showpiece match should have something riding on it, so it could be sold to the world.

Some drunk ex-cop, Gray, stated that it was inconceivable this could be such a meaningful match as people in west-central Scotland will go around stabbing each other and beating up their wives etc etc

Meanwhile, these two sides play on Sunday at a neutral venue  in a much more meaningful match for both clubs - and all the other clubs still don't know who they'll be playing a week on Saturday a whole week after the top six was confirmed.

4 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

It's a silly comparison to make. 

Small town clubs like Queen of the South , or indeed Morton would be unlikely to get mentioned until the classifieds On Radio 5 Live.

Morecambe, for example,  will be covered by the journalist at Radio Lancashire who's deemed not yet ready for Blackburn Rovers or Oldham Athletic games

Morecambe are something like 85th in the English league system; the two Scottish clubs that you mention are usually around 17th or 18th in the Scottish game. Their comparative standing in the respective national games isn't even close, so the only person making silly comparisons around here is yourself.  

There are no good logistical or financial reasons why BBC Scotland and Sportsound cannot source ten to fifteen competent reporters to cover matches in Scotland on a Saturday afternoon. They do not use dross like Sandra Brown, Chick Young, Allan Preston and Pat Bonner due to either merit or necessity, but rather because BBC Scotland's sports production is chiefly an old chums' network for the same rotating cast of regulars. And so the quality of output is rapidly circling the drain. 

Edited by vikingTON

They do not use dross like Sandra Brown, Chick Young, Allan Preston and Pat Bonner due to either merit or necessity, but rather because BBC Scotland's sports production is chiefly an old chums' network for the same rotating cast of regulars. And so the quality of output is rapidly circling the drain. 

Derek Ferguson. You forgot Derek Ferguson.

The comparison to Clyde is totally inaccurate.  folk love to complain.  i listen to clyde ocassionally as it's so cringe it's good.  BBC is step above.

open all mics works.  and if some shriek about their team so be it..it's all a laugh. what do people want,,a sermon?  giees peace man.  knowing where some of the commentators loyalties lie is all part of it..but they do a neutral job.

The comparison to Clyde is totally inaccurate.  folk love to complain.  i listen to clyde ocassionally as it's so cringe it's good.  BBC is step above.
open all mics works.  and if some shriek about their team so be it..it's all a laugh. what do people want,,a sermon?  giees peace man.  knowing where some of the commentators loyalties lie is all part of it..but they do a neutral job.

I agree.

It could certainly be better - but folk don't half like a moan.

Morecambe are something like 85th in the English league system; the two Scottish clubs that you mention are usually around 17th or 18th in the Scottish game. Their comparative standing in the respective national games isn't even close, so the only person making silly comparisons around here is yourself.  

There are no good logistical or financial reasons why BBC Scotland and Sportsound cannot source ten to fifteen competent reporters to cover matches in Scotland on a Saturday afternoon. They do not use dross like Sandra Brown, Chick Young, Allan Preston and Pat Bonner due to either merit or necessity, but rather because BBC Scotland's sports production is chiefly an old chums' network for the same rotating cast of regulars. And so the quality of output is rapidly circling the drain. 

I'm sure resources could be better applied

Resources could always be better applied 

And I would hate to be seen as a Chick Young apologist so I should make it clear that I agree that surely there must be some better talent out there than that. 

However

I chose Morecambe because they get about as many people turning out to watch on a saturday as Queen of the South and it's relatively isolated. Dumfries is a bit bigger so maybe Grimsby would have been a  better choice. The 17th and 18th in the English League system are Southampton and Crystal Palace  so your method of comparison seems to risk drifting  into further silliness. 

You, or one of our Dumfries  based correspondents, could haggle my comparison up from  Morecambe and I could presumably haggle you down from Southampton till we meet somewhere in between which might prove to be an interesting diversion (but let's be honest it  probably wouldn't)

But the point that I was trying to illustrate that the English league system is far, far bigger and deeper so such comparisons are inevitably flawed.

And that's why comparing Radio 5 to Radio Scotland is either useless or of very limited use. 

Sportsound isn't a shite version of 5 Live

It's shite version of what Sportsound could be

Women's football live tonight. No live commentary of the game in Dundee.

That must be for contractual reasons (ie. they don’t have rights for live commentary outwith the Premiership) rather than their choice surely?

1 minute ago, H Wragg said:

That must be for contractual reasons (ie. they don’t have rights for live commentary outwith the Premiership) rather than their choice surely?

They have the rights to any and all SPFL games. 

Were money no object, they would be entitled to do commentary from all 21 fixtures per weekend. 20 on weekends Sevco are at home. 

Chic Young claiming that 99.99% of fans at all Celtic vs Sevco/Sevco vs Celtic games are fine and it's only 1 or 2 nutters who 'ruin it'.

Obviously this wasn't challenged at All, despite the fact they were discussing it in the context of Police Scotland saying the game shouldn't be a title decider.