Sportsound Watch

Don't always agree with Michael Stewart in terms of his view of the game and opinion on players, however when he's surrounded by the idiots that appear on that show it's funny listening to him tie them in knots. Not that that's particularly difficult, but he highlights just how clueless most footballers are about the game. Scott McDonald saying tonight deliberate handball doesn't have to be deliberate was a highlight. 

1 hour ago, tree house tam said:

Not seen a better Scottish right back than Richard Foster in the league this season.

Trying to think, who are the other Scottish RBs playing regular in the league?

ETA David Gray for us of course, but he has been injured a lot.

Edited by Green Day

16 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Don't always agree with Michael Stewart in terms of his view of the game and opinion on players, however when he's surrounded by the idiots that appear on that show it's funny listening to him tie them in knots. Not that that's particularly difficult, but he highlights just how clueless most footballers are about the game. Scott McDonald saying tonight deliberate handball doesn't have to be deliberate was a highlight. 

to be fair, Michael Stewart said something equally stupid and contradictory in arguing his case on Sportscene (re the McHugh penalty/sending off).....

1 hour ago, wastecoatwilly said:

It's great to here another referee coming on in support of another one it makes these decisions so much clearer.
I think Kenny Clark said nothing is black and white it's down to the interpretation of the ref creating the can of worms. 

I disagree. I thought Kenny Clark's intervention was interesting. Everyone (apart from Scott McDonald) understands that deliberate handball must be deliberate.  Kenny's view was that McHugh was deliberately making himself big like a goalkeeper would, so the handball was intentional. Michael thought that in the act of throwing himself to the ground McHugh's arm would naturally be thrown upward, therefore no intent.

Both perfectly plausible explanations for the action , and the referee on the day went with Kenny's interpretation  - fair enough. I would have gone with Michael's though because I don't think McHugh would have wanted to  risk conceding a penalty in that situation.  He's still got the goalkeeper behind him - why risk a sending-off?

Separate point - the real star of the match itself was Morelos. Managing to pick himself up  and play on after a career-threatening assault and still  having the thoughtfulness to give the referee a wee round of applause where it's due. What a gentleman.

18 minutes ago, Beano 3d said:

I disagree. I thought Kenny Clark's intervention was interesting. Everyone (apart from Scott McDonald) understands that deliberate handball must be deliberate.  Kenny's view was that McHugh was deliberately making himself big like a goalkeeper would, so the handball was intentional. Michael thought that in the act of throwing himself to the ground McHugh's arm would naturally be thrown upward, therefore no intent.

Both perfectly plausible explanations for the action , and the referee on the day went with Kenny's interpretation  - fair enough. I would have gone with Michael's though because I don't think McHugh would have wanted to  risk conceding a penalty in that situation.  He's still got the goalkeeper behind him - why risk a sending-off?

Separate point - the real star of the match itself was Morelos. Managing to pick himself up  and play on after a career-threatening assault and still  having the thoughtfulness to give the referee a wee round of applause where it's due. What a gentleman.

I agree,why would any player want to deliberately use his hands or arms to stop the ball especially after just being booked,the bit about players not thinking rationally on the park and making a wee joke about it was a concern maybe a wee bit of lack of respect to players the same way players are supposed to respect the ref.
The triple punishment last season would've been a straight red for McHugh just wondering if he needed to give him a yellow to keep 11 v 11 with a bit of common sense.  

20 hours ago, tree house tam said:

Not seen a better Scottish right back than Richard Foster in the league this season.

Can't say I've heard of this Not Seen lad  , but if he's Scottish then get him in for the Albania game , before McLeish sends the SOS for Alan Hutton.

On the McHugh incident, there is no way that was deliberate however when I played up the park many years ago that was a penalty every day of the week.
Forfar got one on Saturday for something similar, Brechin player never got booked.

Ref was correct on both counts.