Sportsound Watch

4 hours ago, Pens_Dark said:

. . . all you get from the commentators is 'a poor game this is, nothing to see here'. It's so fucking frustrating . . .

Those of a certain age will remember Alastair Dewar reporting on the Edinburgh games in the 70’s. He never, ever saw a good game. 

To quote The Scotsman, ‘Alistair Dewar reporting from Edinburgh was pulpit-dour even after 5-5 draws’

43 minutes ago, oldbitterandgrumpy said:

Those of a certain age will remember Alastair Dewar reporting on the Edinburgh games in the 70’s. He never, ever saw a good game. 

Goodness gracious, yes. Hearts in particular were epically terrible then and you could see it in his face.

On 07/04/2024 at 21:40, joewarkfanclub said:

Sportsound has become a dumbed down magazine show akin to Superscoreboard.

Im sure they've done their focus groups who all agree this is what the public want.

But listening to Mikey Stewart disgreeing with whatever anyone else says is extremely tiresome and a total turn off.

Quality public broadcasting, it is not....

Used to quite like Mikey Stewart as he was wiling to discuss topics such as the sectarian singing at Ran Celt games. Also gave good comment on games from the players point of view on commentary. However the current version comes across as just arguing for arguings sake, almost as it is a policy decision by the programmes directors. Did see him covering for McCoist or Sutton in the BT Scottish football preview show once and he had a nice selection of malts in the background so def has some good points.

On 06/04/2024 at 19:07, Darren said:

I've managed to stop listening to Sportsound, although it's difficult to avoid the clickbait clips on social media.

Next step is to wean myself off the BBC Football site, which is also terrible.

You can do it !

26 minutes ago, Rael Rover said:

the current version comes across as just arguing for arguings sake, almost as it is a policy decision by the programmes directors

My feeling is you may not be far wrong there.

40 minutes ago, Rael Rover said:

However the current version comes across as just arguing for arguings sake, almost as it is a policy decision by the programmes directors. 

Superscoreboard pioneered that. Every Saturday before kickoff there'd be a fabricated rammy, usually between Davie Provan and Hugh Keevins.

1 hour ago, Rael Rover said:

Used to quite like Mikey Stewart as he was wiling to discuss topics such as the sectarian singing at Ran Celt games. Also gave good comment on games from the players point of view on commentary. However the current version comes across as just arguing for arguings sake, almost as it is a policy decision by the programmes directors. Did see him covering for McCoist or Sutton in the BT Scottish football preview show once and he had a nice selection of malts in the background so def has some good points.

I got the impression when I listened on Saturday that he is basically in there to provide click-bait soundbite arguments with anyone else on the show that day, mostly Tom English...who is a complete and utter tool. 

Much like you, I used to like Stewart also.

56 minutes ago, gannonball said:

I don't think we're too far off tuning in one day and Michael Stewart is arguing with himself.

I’m pretty sure there’s already been occasions he’s forgotten what he was arguing about.

5 hours ago, gannonball said:

I don't think we're too far off tuning in one day and Michael Stewart is arguing with himself.

He’s pretty much done it already. I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but a couple of weeks ago he spent 10 minutes arguing that by going for a manager from the English Championship / League 1 level Aberdeen would be showing a massive lack of ambition.

He then immediately pivoted to shouting loudly that managers at English Championship / League One level were way out of Aberdeen’s league and they couldn’t possibly hope to appoint someone like that. 

9 hours ago, Pens_Dark said:

I got the impression when I listened on Saturday that he is basically in there to provide click-bait soundbite arguments with anyone else on the show that day, mostly Tom English...who is a complete and utter tool. 

Much like you, I used to like Stewart also.

Wasnt he having a tedious argument with Rory Loy he wouldnt let go even at half time too?  I was half asleep unwell so could be wrong.

5 hours ago, Hoose Rice said:

Wasnt he having a tedious argument with Rory Loy he wouldnt let go even at half time too?  I was half asleep unwell so could be wrong.

He was. About player insurances and basically clubs negating them if both teams rebelled against the referees postponement and decided to play the game anyway. Rory Loy was equally as culpable of making such a desperately boring argument. 

19 hours ago, Junior_Arab said:

He’s pretty much done it already. I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but a couple of weeks ago he spent 10 minutes arguing that by going for a manager from the English Championship / League 1 level Aberdeen would be showing a massive lack of ambition.

He then immediately pivoted to shouting loudly that managers at English Championship / League One level were way out of Aberdeen’s league and they couldn’t possibly hope to appoint someone like that. 

He's just a total tosser.

On 09/04/2024 at 19:48, gannonball said:

He’s just so contrary. His views have me rolling my eyes. I did assume he was just doing this for ratings but maybe he is just a massive bellend.

21 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

He’s just so contrary. His views have me rolling my eyes. I did assume he was just doing this for ratings but maybe he is just a massive bellend.

Like others have said Stewart was a very good pundit.  Used to love his arguments with Levein and he came across well and said a lot of things that people were probably screaming at the radio.  However, I think this was the catalyst for his more recent demise.  Lots of people were talking about Michael Stewart and how he put Levein in his place........the BBC clearly loved it as people were tuning into Sportsound.  As a result he is now clearly encouraged to have a rammy whether or not he believes what he is saying.......and with his arch-nemisis Levein gone it all comes across as far too contrived.

Incidentally, I used to listen to Sportsound through the week whilst making my tea- i am right in thinking it was on four or five nights a week (not including weekends)  - when Get-It-On was on another frequency.  I dont think it is ever on mid-week now unless there is a match? 

On 10/04/2024 at 07:42, Pens_Dark said:

He was. About player insurances and basically clubs negating them if both teams rebelled against the referees postponement and decided to play the game anyway. Rory Loy was equally as culpable of making such a desperately boring argument. 

Thanks mate, I thought so.  Was tedious.  Loy's turned into a bit of a w****r too.

Mikey was a breath of fresh air when he first joined, used to take the usual suspect to task when they spouted the usual crap and they hated the status quo being disrupted He's turned into a parody of himself though and sounds like although he wouldn't go as far as arguing with himself he would 100% argue an answer Alexa gave him.   It seems like wind of Stewart into an argument is now a weekly part of the show. .