Living on your own

I'll soon be needing to sort out a place to stay, and I've realised that in an ideal world I'd probably rather have my own place. I'm thinking back to a mate who came back to uni after six months away and got his own flat for a term. He could still go round friends houses or have people round his, but still enjoy the freedom to have his place like he wanted it. Let's be honest too, who's ever came in the door to find nobody home and actually been disappointed about it?

Has anyone on PnB had their own flat at a reasonably young age (say under 25), and how was it? Am I underestimating the isolation of it? More importantly, is it possible for someone unlikely to be on a big wage any time soon? I don't really care where it is as long as it isn't a proper scheme, so I was hoping the money saved from living somewhere dead cheap would counteract the burden of not being able to share costs.

Ta.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm 23 and have been living in a one bed flat for just over a year. I love it. No need to agree what time you're going to shower in the morning before you go to bed at night, no need to plan when you'll make your dinner and no need to watch someone else's pish on the TV.

In terms of loneliness I haven't found it an issue at all. I work in an office doing team based work so I'm speaking to people all day there. I've got a girlfriend who I see 2-3 times a week and I'm at the football/out most Saturdays. I've got Sky Sports and BT Sport which I'll happily watch the rest of the time.

For affordability it really depends on your own circumstances and where you want to live. Edinburgh seems to be more expensive than Glasgow for rent in general, although it obviously depends on individual areas (I'm in the Merchant City).

In conclusion, if you can afford it and can get a decent flat in a decent area I wouldn't have any hesitation.

If I lived on my own it would be great. I'd watch whatever I want in the telly, cut around the place in my pants and have a procession of slags of dubious quality through the door

That's pretty much how I did it although sometimes I didn't bother with the pants.

Be prepared to have the masturbation habits of a zoo monkey for the first couple of months - the novelty wears off eventually however.

Go for it (if you can afford it!).

I have my own two bedroom house (which was bequeathed to me as part of my divorce settlement).

You can have "distance" relationships, were you can piss-off back home if things get a bit heated.

My partner, for the past 10 years, has her own house (no kids), which I go round to at weekends. The rest of the week I can live my own life. Works for us me (but she keeps hinting I should sell up and move in with her :unsure: ).

Best of both worlds.

Downside: more expensive than a mixed flatshare and no female flatmates (or their friends) to shag.

Upside: No untidy flatmates hanging about the place. Peace and quiet. You and the girlfriend can wander around naked without worrying about bumping into flatmates.

Let's just get straight to the core of this argument: what the f*** is "dee do de de?" all about???

Eta: A mate of mine has a flat of his own and says it's ace. Can do what he wants when he wants and says far too many jump to the untrue conclusion that alone = lonely.

I moved into a flat by myself about a month before my 24th birthday after sharing with a couple of guys I went to uni with for four years. I got lucky in finding a big flat in a nice part of town for just shy of £500, but I looked at a lot of flats which were more money and smaller/further out of town/in a shittier area. I loved it for the same reasons people are listing above, but I did have the occasional moment where it would have been nice to still live with someone else. It wasn't the lack of company that bothered me, more that if I did want to hang out with anyone it wasn't just a matter of nipping through to the living room to see who was about. After a year of that I started seeing my current girlfriend and another year later we got a flat together, but I don't think I could go back to living with someone else outside of a relationship situation.

Archived