Older No voters....

Confidemus

It seems to me that a vast majority of older people are voting No. Why should they vote Yes, when their life is comfortable? They've had decades of the Union and it hasn't served them individually too badly. Own house, savings, pension, comfortable life.

The question is, should they feel the weight of responsibility on generations to come, or are they quite right to stick two fingers up to everyone else?

That's the beauty of democracy, but it would be if these people gave some thought to this Greek proverb:

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems to me that a vast majority of older people are voting No.

I don't believe that to be the case. In general you can consider those of the elder generation to be less radical than when they were younger, and that would by abstraction suggest they would prefer the status quo, but I have not found that to be the case for the referendum. There is a large pool of voters who have seen the way Westminster has treated Scotland over the generations and hold quite strong pro-independence views.

In short, show your working. What proof do you have to back up your claim?

Here is a quote ideally suited ot the No camp:

False words are not only evil in themselves, but they infect the soul with evil. ~ Socrates.

http://cdn.yougov.com/cumulus_uploads/document/n9xblv6gc0/Sun_Results_Scottish_Independence_140807.pdf

This poll from earlier in August shows a Yes / No / DK split in the 60+ age group. of 32 / 63 / 4

For comparison

16-24 - 34 / 48 / 12

25-39 - 32 / 55 / 11

40-59 - 31 / 51 / 9

Of course, these are a subset of a larger poll so aren't truly reliable indicators of voting intention. I do think that most polls show a roughly similar result, although the differences aren't that big between age groups. Older people are far likelier to vote, although given the nature of the referendum that gap might close.

http://cdn.yougov.com/cumulus_uploads/document/n9xblv6gc0/Sun_Results_Scottish_Independence_140807.pdf

This poll from earlier in August shows a Yes / No / DK split in the 60+ age group. of 32 / 63 / 4

For comparison

16-24 - 34 / 48 / 12

25-39 - 32 / 55 / 11

40-59 - 31 / 51 / 9

Of course, these are a subset of a larger poll so aren't truly reliable indicators of voting intention. I do think that most polls show a roughly similar result, although the differences aren't that big between age groups. Older people are far likelier to vote, although given the nature of the referendum that gap might close.

Older people are no more likely to vote in this referendum than anyone else, this isn't going to be a 55/60% turnout, it just shows up poor judgement when commentators spout that shite in the context of this referendum.

:lol: YouGov!

You have to love their ridiculously slanted polling.

Still I suppose I did ask for evidence and this is probably as close as we'll get.

It's the first one I found on the polling thread.

The recent Panelbase poll that put the No lead at 4% has the following figures

Male 55+

37 / 55 / 8

Female 55+

37 / 46 / 16

It seems to me that a vast majority of older people are voting No. Why should they vote Yes, when their life is comfortable? They've had decades of the Union and it hasn't served them individually too badly. Own house, savings, pension, comfortable life.

The question is, should they feel the weight of responsibility on generations to come, or are they quite right to stick two fingers up to everyone else?

That's the beauty of democracy, but it would be if these people gave some thought to this Greek proverb:

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.

For me, I am voting for others (in my case my daughter). I'm fairly well set up and that shouldn't change much either way the vote goes. As I've posted before I'm not against the concept of an independent Scotland but I'm not convinced by what's on offer. One thing my age has taught me (I'm 46) is you don't have to rush into things and while it might be another 20 years or whatever to the next referendum, I'll wait and see (if I'm still about). I've posted before that if the UK goes down the route of another term of Tories, Big Boris becoming PM and the UK pulling out of Europe then the YES campaign would probably win hands down. They've maybe gone for the referendum a few years too early.

Older people are no more likely to vote in this referendum than anyone else, this isn't going to be a 55/60% turnout, it just shows up poor judgement when commentators spout that shite in the context of this referendum.

The YouGov poll gives the following percentages for age groups being absolutely certain to vote

16-24 - 75%

25-39 - 76%

40-59 - 84%

60+ - 91%

Again these are a subset of a larger poll.

For me, I am voting for others (in my case my daughter). I'm fairly well set up and that shouldn't change much either way the vote goes. As I've posted before I'm not against the concept of an independent Scotland but I'm not convinced by what's on offer. One thing my age has taught me (I'm 46) is you don't have to rush into things and while it might be another 20 years or whatever to the next referendum, I'll wait and see (if I'm still about). I've posted before that if the UK goes down the route of another term of Tories, Big Boris becoming PM and the UK pulling out of Europe then the YES campaign would probably win hands down. They've maybe gone for the referendum a few years too early.

I don't understand this mindset. The Union is fucked. Westminster corruption abounds, their politicians threaten us with what will happen if we secede, we're in record levels of debt, rich people are rolling in it whilst the poor are suffering more.

What's going to be so different in 20 years.

I say we should get out while the getting's good.

It's the first one I found on the polling thread.

I wasn't knocking you for posting it, just laughing at YG. As it is, I genuinely don't believe the polls reflect what the final result will be and YG are one of the worst offenders for that.

I just don't think that the "vast majority" of older voters (and do we consider them to be 60+?) will be pro-Union. If this was the first time independence had been brought up then perhaps but as it's an issue that has been rumbling on since those in their 60's were in their 20's then there will be a lot of long held views (on both sides).

The YouGov poll gives the following percentages for age groups being absolutely certain to vote

16-24 - 75%

25-39 - 76%

40-59 - 84%

60+ - 91%

Again these are a subset of a larger poll.

There's nothing in those small samples that would make me change my mind, the poll has a high % of people that usually vote.

Older voters have greater experience of the union. If, after considering the options based on that experience, they decide to vote no then the younger generation would be better heeding the example of senior wisdom instead of arrogantly pronouncing all those with whom they personally disagree flawed.

Older voters have greater experience of the union. If, after considering the options based on that experience, they decide to vote no then the younger generation would be better heeding the example of senior wisdom instead of arrogantly pronouncing all those with whom they personally disagree flawed.

It's the older generation that have fcuked it up not the youngsters, the youngsters will be expected to pay for their mess and keep them in the manner they're accustomed to.

I don't understand this mindset. The Union is fucked. Westminster corruption abounds, their politicians threaten us with what will happen if we secede, we're in record levels of debt, rich people are rolling in it whilst the poor are suffering more.

What's going to be so different in 20 years.

I say we should get out while the getting's good.

You don't have to understand my mindset but at least respect the fact that I've looked into it and made a choice. You've come up with a list of reasons why you want to vote NO and fair enough. Whatever way the vote goes, there's going to be a fairly large minority that aren't happy, it's not like 95% one way or the other and I'm the loony in the 5%. I get that you're passionate about it but at least try and see it from the other side. We're all going to have to get along after the vote.

Would not be too sure about that.

UK findings supported by the British Election Study, based on pre- and post-election surveys with voters and non-voters. Table One shows turnout at the 2010 general election.

Table One: Turnout by age group, 2010 UK general election

Age group Turnout

18-25 62%

26-35 68%

36-45 75%

46-55 82%

56-65 82%

65+ 89%

Archived