Scotch Whisky revenue....the facts

russ567

We talk a lot about oil revenue and rightly so, but I discovered this online.
It is from scotchwhisky.org (The Scotch Whisky association’s own website)

Whisky is one of the UK’s top 5 export earners!!

This was dated 2013 so is very recent:

• Exports generated £4.3 billion for the UK balance of trade.
  • Exports earned £135 every second.
  • 40 bottles were shipped overseas each second.
  • 96 million cases were exported worldwide.
  • Laid end to end they would stretch more than 30,000kms - or about six times the distance between Edinburgh and New York.
  • Around 10,000 are directly employed in the Scotch Whisky industry - many in economically deprived areas.
  • Over 35,000 jobs across the UK are supported by the industry.
  • About £1 billion contributed to the Exchequer in taxes.
  • Some 20 million casks lie maturing in warehouses in Scotland.
  • To be Scotch Whisky, the spirit must mature in oak casks in Scotland for at
    least 3 years.
  • 109 distilleries are licensed to produce Scotch Whisky.

Did you know?

• Scotch Whisky accounts for a quarter of UK food and drink exports.
  • Scotch Whisky is sold in around 200 markets worldwide.
  • Scotch Whisky sells three times its nearest rival whisky.
  • Drinkers in the UK often choose to enjoy it with just a little water, but in Spain they mix it with cola. In Japan Scotch is enjoyed with lots of water and ice, and in China with cold green tea.

More Scotch is sold in one month in France than Cognac in a year

End of Copy

Please comment

The boy from Grants is part of one of the businesses which have sent a letter to the Scotsman asking for clarifications on post independence currency and EU membership. The second one is a bit funny as staying in the union doesn't provide any clarity on EU membership going on the way politics has shifted to the right down South, however I don't suppose we should read too much into them asking for clarification.

All fine and well you think until you realise Grants has donated £100,000 to the No campaign and who back in April asked the same questions and was given more or less the same answers as he'd get now. So, a justified business request or just a bit of partisan sabre rattling?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-28183123

So we cannot raise tax and we cannot lower tax? No point in having these powers then :huh:

Where did I say that?

Raising tax is not normally productive generally speaking but sometimes can be successful. But we weren't talking generally we were talking about whisky - a highly taxed commodity. It is difficult to see how placing a further burden on it is going to be good for the industry.

£1 billion in taxes is small change when looking at overall tax revenues.

I've had a little bit of experience in this sector and Asia is one of the biggest markets for whisky export......but it might not be for much longer as the Asians have started making their own, in particular Japan is apparently making whiskies which rival Scotch.

I wouldn't know though as I can't stand the stuff.

Where did I say that?

Raising tax is not normally productive generally speaking but sometimes can be successful. But we weren't talking generally we were talking about whisky - a highly taxed commodity. It is difficult to see how placing a further burden on it is going to be good for the industry.

Where did I say that you had, it was an observation. The SNP plan to reduce corporation tax has been brought up on many occasion by H_B and others as a bad move and now you are stating that raising taxes is a bad move. I am not disagreeing with your assertion but surely the ability to raise or lower taxes on Scottish business should be made in Scotland.

£1 billion in taxes is small change when looking at overall tax revenues.

I've had a little bit of experience in this sector and Asia is one of the biggest markets for whisky export......but it might not be for much longer as the Asians have started making their own, in particular Japan is apparently making whiskies which rival Scotch.

I wouldn't know though as I can't stand the stuff.

£1bln is a significant part of Scotlands tax base actually.

There are alternatives. Other whiskies, other beverages.

Scottish whisky is seen as a status symbol. Your drinking a life style etc etc. Same reason people would drink champagne over other(I'm sure just as good) cheaper sparkling wines. For the same reason I don't think you can compare Scottish whisky with other whiskies or beverages.

Archived