The Arbroath Thread

9 hours ago, SimonLichtie said:

If we have no plans to bring in further cover at the back then that is somewhat outrageous. If we don't bring in anyone further this window then I think there is a good argument that the squad that we had pre window was just as strong, if not stronger, than the squad that will be going into February.

Would not agree with all this post from Simon.

Agree that we should have had a BIG central defender to compete with both Ricky and Hammy (remembering both those can fill in at full backs if required) the reason i say BIG is because we do struggle at set pieces against BIG opposition players.

But disagree to say that we do not have a stronger squad than pre-window, we have more quality albeit fewer players, just look at the quality on the bench last Saturday Skelly/Scott/Prunty the lad from Dumbarton etc with any of them easily starting the game without making the starting XI weaker.

Honsstly can't understand the obsession with having a "big" centre-half come in. Ricky and Hammy have done a fantastic job at the back all season, and although I don't make every game, lack of height hasn't seemed to be a major issue at all.

I would agree that we need some defensive cover however, as has been said by just about everyone in this thread we can't afford to take that risk.

I would be very surprised if a decent centre half was available in January that would walk straight into our team, a centre back on loan from spl or champ club are unlikely to be better than Ricky or Hamilton. Whatley and Sukur or an emergency loan IF there was an issue.

What are the chances of getting Craig Watson back on loan for the remainder of the season. Might be a risk considering he was out for a long time through injury, but if fit and available on loan would he not be an ideal recruit?

10 hours ago, AFC360PUNK1320 said:

Would not agree with all this post from Simon.

Agree that we should have had a BIG central defender to compete with both Ricky and Hammy (remembering both those can fill in at full backs if required) the reason i say BIG is because we do struggle at set pieces against BIG opposition players.

But disagree to say that we do not have a stronger squad than pre-window, we have more quality albeit fewer players, just look at the quality on the bench last Saturday Skelly/Scott/Prunty the lad from Dumbarton etc with any of them easily starting the game without making the starting XI weaker.

Skelly, Jimmy Scott and Prunts have been with the club since the start of the season. McCallum has come in and played 5 minutes so far which is obviously impossible to judge him on so I don't think anyone can say if he is an improvement or not on what we have. Regardless, I'm talking about the overall strength of the squad, not just the striking positions, which is just 2 players out of an overall starting 11.

Current in's/ out's are as follows I believe:

In:

• Cammy Gill
  • Eddie Ferns
  • Donald McCallum
  • Bryan Hodge

Out:

• Rab Douglas
  • Robbie Mutch
  • Gary Philips
  • Michael Dunlop
  • Kane Hester
  • Liam Callaghan

In terms of the keeping position, considering it's highly likely Ricky Gomes will continue as number 1 for the rest of the season I feel Douglas/ Mutch out and Gill in is a fairly even trade.

In the midfield, Callaghan out and Hodge in seems like a fairly even trade also, potentially a slight strengthening there. Hodge is known to play a more defensive role in the middle akin to Whatley so that's good cover for him which was needed, and Callaghan never overly impressed me to be honest.

Upfront, we've brought Eddie Ferns and Donald McCallum in, and put Kane out on loan. This now puts us in a position where we have 6 players (Doris, Ferns, McCallum, Prunty, Skelly and Jimmy Scott) all fighting for 2 places. Considering Doris has to be absolutely nailed on to start every week, it's really 5 players for 1 position, which seems rather over the top to say the least in my opinion. Of course Skelly is being used more out wide than up top recently, so it could be argued this is 5 players for 2 positions, which would still be the same as our defence where we have 4 positions to fill.

Now the big one..... defence. Currently, we have 4 defenders who play every week and in my opinion 3 of them are playing very well and have been for months, a backup right back who hasn't played a competitive game since July, a defensive midfielder (Whatley) who is absolutely vital to us in the middle of the park and Bryan Hodge, who is blatantly a midfielder and I can hear the howls of laughter from Forfar/ Stirling fans at the thought of him playing at left back from here in DD2.

For me, based on the above, our squad is really quite unbalanced and even one injury/ suspension across our back 4 would be a complete disaster right now. With 15 games (plus potential play off games) to go, the chances of no injuries/ suspensions/ losses of form at the back is very very low so for me this is very worrying.

Considering Dick has spent the last few weeks trying to get a centre back in, it seems very odd that he's supposedly decided to just give up and leave us with no cover in this position. I actually don't believe what he's saying in the paper regarding no more incomings, because the budget is there, it's obvious to everyone (including the man himself) what position we need and he is an experienced manager, so I would genuinely be gobsmacked if he just left things as they are.

We could have 10 superb strikers at this level come in this window and I'd still feel the squad wasn't overall improved. Strikers take up 2 positions, the defence is 4 positions. We could have all the striking options in the world but if we leave ourselves short at the back it doesn't really matter how many strikers we have on the bench waiting to come on.

On the positive side of things - I think we're sorted in terms of keepers, midfielders and strikers. We have strength in these positions and I think what we have is as strong as pretty much anyone else in the division.

It's definitely heavy weighted at the top end of the pitch, we have a few days to go so surely he brings in a defender. 

The overall squad is better in my opinion and I'm happy that we have enough to finish 2nd, first looking like a big ask and would need Forfar to lose form which doesn't look like happening. 

2 hours ago, SimonLichtie said:

Now the big one..... defence. Currently, we have 4 defenders who play every week and in my opinion 3 of them are playing very well and have been for months, a backup right back who hasn't played a competitive game since July, a defensive midfielder (Whatley) who is absolutely vital to us in the middle of the park and Bryan Hodge, who is blatantly a midfielder and I can hear the howls of laughter from Forfar/ Stirling fans at the thought of him playing at left back from here in DD2.

You're right there Hodge isn't a defender, Campbell did occasionally use Malin as a back up right back with us though (not to any great effect though).

Think you are all getting a bit excited about nothing though Campbell loves a loan or an emergency loan.

Never seen Hodge play really or cant quite remember him but looks to have played the majority of his time as a central midfielder. Don't think anyone saw David Gold as a defender, in fact most fans didn't want him anywhere near the club and he is up there with one of our best and most consistent players.

Never seen Hodge play really or cant quite remember him but looks to have played the majority of his time as a central midfielder. Don't think anyone saw David Gold as a defender, in fact most fans didn't want him anywhere near the club and he is up there with one of our best and most consistent players.

Hodge was a cracking player 5 plus years ago but has never been the quickest of players.

When Sheerin was boss we brought in an older near retired centre half in Alan McManus who did a sterling job on the run in to the title win. Someone in a similar position might suit. Can't think of anyone offhand but DC will probably know of a few in this situation.

have to ask the question why have we arrived at this situation. that we might have to ask players to play out of position. if it was a long injury list then yes but we havent. we are overloaded up top but no cover in defence total lopsided as i have said in a previous post dc has fucked up

When Sheerin was boss we brought in an older near retired centre half in Alan McManus who did a sterling job on the run in to the title win. Someone in a similar position might suit. Can't think of anyone offhand but DC will probably know of a few in this situation.

He also brought in Chris Innes. He was an absolute disaster.