The Arbroath Thread

51 minutes ago, Hammerafc said:

If we don't sign another defender Hamilton will definitely be playing left back.

Hope we get a LB, would like to think, that Hammy and Ricky would be given the opportunity to continue their partnership in the league above, last seasons performances have earned them the right to that, surely

8 minutes ago, Leicesterlichtie said:

It's all well & good saying bring a LB in but how many decent ones are there available. DC may need to delve into the loan market but needs to make sure it's a bit of quality.

Still think Eddie can do a job there. :whistle

Surely the same can be said for a decent CB, as for Ferns he is a very lucky boy to get a new contract

So you are advocating breaking up our league winning centre back pairing, move one of them to left back in the "hope" we can get a player as effective?

Hamilton will be left back. He's a great left back. And you can already tell he will and the two centre halves will be under extra scrutiny from folk every single game and goal. Great.

Hamilton will be left back. He's a great left back. And you can already tell he will and the two centre halves will be under extra scrutiny from folk every single game and goal. Great.

Am not so sure your right, we will wait and see, Dick might just pull something out of the "bunnet" before the season gets going

I'm not fussed how the defence lines up whether hammy is centre back or left back. I trust The Bunnet's judgement of players and he knows what he is doing. Let's just get behind the whole team and support them rather than criticise any decisions. Fans encouragement to players helps them do better rather that f'in and c'in because they play poor. That won't help a player who might lack confidence.

In DC we trust and in AFC we support.

Mon the lichties! Let's reach the promotion play offs this season!

Am not so sure your right, we will wait and see, Dick might just pull something out of the "bunnet" before the season gets going

Nah. He was brought in to play LB all along. Even Sukar was played at centre half before him with him out left when he first joined, until Sukar turned into a bit of a bomb scare and he got shifted out wide again for damage limitation.

Nah. He was brought in to play LB all along. Even Sukar was played at centre half before him with him out left when he first joined, until Sukar turned into a bit of a bomb scare and he got shifted out wide again for damage limitation.

Am beginning to think, this is being driven by your overriding need to be right, and has very little about what is actually best for the team, but then again I could be wrong

4 hours ago, relichtie said:

Seem to remember posts like this about David Gold last pre season. How did that turn out again?

Spot on.

I wish some Red Lichtie "supporters" would give Fearns a chance rather than get on his back before a ball is kicked this season, if he is reading some of those posts how do you think he is going to feel? 

As has been said the majority of AFC fans wanted Goldie punted before last season started yet he turned out one of our best players, i also think a division up will suit Bryan Prunty as he is a quality player rather than playing in the frantic 2nd division the 1st division should be a more skillfull league.

I would welcome another center-half to partner Little and have Hammy at left-back as with Goldie that would be a strong back 4.

I think there's some clear differences between Gold and Ferns. Gold was awful during the 15/16 season, let's not pretend anyone thought otherwise. It didn't help that our other players in his position were poor (Jamie Clarke) or very injury prone (Kieran Stewart). I don't think he has the bite to play centre midfield at this level-And when you're playing poorly a player who doesn't go in for 50/50s etc will stand out much more. This, unfortunately, is typical of players who perform brilliantly for big teams youth sides (Gold was Hibs u20s captain). They struggle with the physicality and speed of senior football. But he showed glimpses of his ability-His goal against Forfar in the Forfarshire Cup final for example. Ferns is completely different. He will give you 100% every game he plays, but doesn't have anywhere near the same amount of ability as Gold. When you've got a player like Gold who has ability, it's understandable to see how DC thought he could develop him. As I've said, Ferns doesn't really seem to have much ability. His game is based around being quick, and I'm not sure how much you can do with a player who is very limited technically and relies on his pace so much.

So Ferns and Gold are different because Ferns is fast and Gold isn't.. Gold got slaughtered, and it wasn't because of his physicality. He was playing in a 3 with Bobby Linn and Jamie Reid ffs.

This Ferns stuff is so OTT it's ridiculous, it's boring as f**k tbh.

I for one will give Fearns the chance to come good I think DC does actually know what he is doing.Nothing like slaughtering your own players though some fans just love it,mainly very negative souls.

That's not what I said, is it?They are completely different players wth completely different skill sets so comparing their situations like some people are is stupid.

No it's not because one guy got loads of stick for being gash and getting kept on by some people and another guy is now getting it for being gash and being kept on. It couldn't be any more comparable. If Ferns is gash in a game slaughter him after it then wipe the slate clean before the next one, totally fair.

What's happened is some people have went way OTT with criticising him, others have came in and been OTT sticking up for him, then everyone else has weighed in with their own good or bad opinions either way which has made it seem like a massive deal when it really really isn't.

I've worked it out....i think. DC is a genius!! He's kept Eddie as he knows some Lichties like someone to have a pop at. Can't think of anyone else currently in the squad who can be regularly picked on (not including Gibson as don't think he'll play enough to be slaughtered).