The Arbroath Thread

17 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Lets not be too hopeful on the loan market eh?  With 5 subs and huge benches, players are hanging on to their youngsters.  The players they do loan out are often very raw, not very good, or are more likely to have their pick of clubs that play actual football.

This ‘actual football’ stuff - honest to f**k 

What exactly has been wrong with the way we’ve played the last 2 games? 

How many teams in Scotland actually play good passing football? f**k me man you could count them on one hand 

Also were looking for defenders - I think they’ll get plenty of experience of defending here ffs… also have the benefit of being part time so the better younger players at the bigger clubs can still train with and be around their first teams

2 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

How many teams in Scotland actually play good passing football? f**k me man you could count them on one hand 

Also were looking for defenders - I think they’ll get plenty of experience of defending here ffs… also have the benefit of being part time so the better younger players at the bigger clubs can still train with and be around their first teams

Did you watch any games last season?  

For what it’s worth I think DC will make a signing tomorrow or Friday. Is it the type of player we need? Who knows. 

I also noticed that Kenan Turan made the team of the week for his performance on Saturday. That must make a few in Heres blood boil 

Edited by Anotherlichtie

4 hours ago, clashcityrocker said:

Transfer window closes on 1st Sept for Premier League clubs, once they complete their signings they will release a few players to go out on loan ( thats the theory, what happens in practice could be a different matter).

I would expect 2 new incoming players very soon.

So adding another 2 players to your expected amount since the summer must take us to around 46 players you are expecting to sign 

9 minutes ago, Anotherlichtie said:

I also noticed that Kenan Turan made the team of the week for his performance on Saturday. That must make a few in Heres blood boil 

On the contrary I think everyone will actually be delighted for him and about that..  

😂

3 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Boy wants DC gone. Fair dos opinions are fine. The dismissal of the Morton result on the basis ‘it was only Morton’ was a far out take though. 

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Last season is now as irrelevant as the season before it 

I'm sure that when clubs make decisions on who to loan players to, they consider only the last 2 games.   Perception matters.  Was it not on here recently that Aberdeen didn't want to loan players to Arbroath as we didn't pass it about enough?

8 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

I'm sure that when clubs make decisions on who to loan players to, they consider only the last 2 games.   Perception matters.  Was it not on here recently that Aberdeen didn't want to loan players to Arbroath as we didn't pass it about enough?

Well they’d definitely consider the current situation so yeah I don’t see why they wouldn’t - last season is not applicable.

We’ve got plenty of attacking players now and while we’re not making Derek Gaston pass the ball to Ricky and Tam on the edge of the 6 yard box we have never been as bad as we were last year. We play like the majority of teams in the country, direct, second balls and play in opponents half.

I could understand why clubs would maybe not like to loan us a small striker who’d have to play upfront on his own or even a small ball playing centre midfielder but I see no reason why clubs would be against loaning us a left back or a defensive minded player.

We are known to be pretty robust and solid at the back and to have some of the best defenders in the division.

It would be a great place for any young player to gain experience. 

On 18/08/2023 at 20:31, 1320Lichtie said:

Would also prefer a younger manager if it all goes Pete Tong. Noticed an Aberdeen fan mention that they had been to a Q and A with Neil Simpson and they said they encouraged their loan players not to come to Arbroath as they’d prefer their players to go to teams who play football on the deck…. can’t think they’re the only team who think that way, think Dicks tactics or lack thereof are definitely coming to an end in a modern football sense 

This was you 12 days ago, saying the exact thing you're now having a go at me for saying.  Twelve days!

9 hours ago, ExiledLichtie said:

This was you 12 days ago, saying the exact thing you're now having a go at me for saying.  Twelve days!

I’m not having a go at you and I stand by what I said then.

It had all been and looked like a shambles up until then!!!!!! There’s no denying that 

That’s why I was so impressed at how big a turnaround there had been for the QP game even though we got beat!!! 

Also can understand why certain players wouldn’t suit us and why some clubs wouldn’t want to send they certain players here but surely that’s applicable to everyone - clubs will be wanting to send players to a place that suits them as a player. No sure why that would apply to a left back or players we require though.

Edited by 1320Lichtie

On 30/08/2023 at 22:17, 1320Lichtie said:

I’m not having a go at you and I stand by what I said then.

It had all been and looked like a shambles up until then!!!!!! There’s no denying that 

That’s why I was so impressed at how big a turnaround there had been for the QP game even though we got beat!!! 

Also can understand why certain players wouldn’t suit us and why some clubs wouldn’t want to send they certain players here but surely that’s applicable to everyone - clubs will be wanting to send players to a place that suits them as a player. No sure why that would apply to a left back or players we require though.

But we’ve been told all august to expect signings 

10 hours ago, TheRoundO said:

And meanwhile matches get played and we play a right winger at left back. God help us if we have any defensive injuries. 

Understand this but at same time 

8 hours ago, b ross said:

Hud the bus, it’s the piss my pants brigade! 

Kind of understand this - gave me a wee laugh too 😂

Obviously it’s through no lack of trying and I’d rather have Stewart there in meantime (been pretty good there last 3 weeks) than just sign any old left back who is maybe not actually any use

Watched the courier clip with Turan there - what a lovely big chap. Know it’s only 2 nights a week training and they’ll have a gym day they’ll need to do on top of that but Arbroath must be quite a nice place to come and stay for a year if you’re from London or wherever (Düsseldorf in his case). 

Fingers crossed for a good result today.