The Arbroath Thread

15 minutes ago, afc_36_0 said:

Watched alloa the other week and thought he looked good, so does taylor steven on loan from st johnstone

Yeah the 3 young lads they’ve had on loan linked with really good moves to big clubs down south. 

5 minutes ago, farflung lichtie said:

Watching a lively promotion playoff first leg tie yesterday prompted bittersweet recollections of one week last September when we beat Partick 3-0 at Firhill, then strolled past Airdrie 4-0 at Gayfield.  Turned out to be somewhat of a false dawn. Still, if we can sign a few more players, especially defensive cover and midfield, it looks like we might have a squad to compete in League 1, assuming the injury crisis does not strike again.

If the signings keep up at this standard and we’ve got a fully fit ToB and Colin Hamilton we will be in much better nick than we’ve been going into the last 2 seasons!! 😂

So, Virtanen as defensive mid, Logan Chalmers for pace on the wing (he’ll go to Ayr), Wotherspoon for the creativity we lack, oh and Hanlon in defence. You can tell I’m not a potential manager. 

1 minute ago, Hammerafc said:

Jim McIntyre friendly with Dundee next month. Does that mean we will have to put up with endless posts about how they dislike him so much?

More than likely

Anyway after the squad update and Reilly and Gallagher kicking off the summer business I’m already really looking forward to next season

Looked back to last year and when the kits etc were released and it was the 19th May - that’ll be the next thing - have heard that they’re belters although someone in club shop was saying that and they’ll be biased but a return to a white and maroon away top and a decent home kit plus another couple of decent signings will already put me in the pre season full of optimism mode  

Roll on the new season - if Montrose could just stay down so we have our derby day that’ll be magic 

28 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

More than likely

Anyway after the squad update and Reilly and Gallagher kicking off the summer business I’m already really looking forward to next season

Looked back to last year and when the kits etc were released and it was the 19th May - that’ll be the next thing - have heard that they’re belters although someone in club shop was saying that and they’ll be biased but a return to a white and maroon away top and a decent home kit plus another couple of decent signings will already put me in the pre season full of optimism mode  

Roll on the new season - if Montrose could just stay down so we have our derby day that’ll be magic 

I am looking forward to the 14 or so trialosts that our outstanding recruitment team have been looking at for months and have brought them up from down south to see if they are good enough to play for us.......... oh wait

58 minutes ago, RedLichtie86 said:

I am looking forward to the 14 or so trialosts that our outstanding recruitment team have been looking at for months and have brought them up from down south to see if they are good enough to play for us.......... oh wait

As far am aware we don’t have a recruitment team or am I missing something 

1 hour ago, RedLichtie86 said:

Absolutely.  Thank god we won't have players like Jay Bird or Jermaine Hylton playing for us.  

26 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Absolutely.  Thank god we won't have players like Jay Bird or Jermaine Hylton playing for us.  

The good thing about guys like Gallagher and Reilly is they could be here for 2/3/4 years - we won’t have to be looking to replace them after 6 months or a year at most 👍🏻

25 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

The good thing about guys like Gallagher and Reilly is they could be here for 2/3/4 years - we won’t have to be looking to replace them after 6 months or a year at most 👍🏻

Unless we get relegated again of course.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Unless we get relegated again of course.

What does this mean? 

I genuinely do not understand 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

19 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

What does this mean? 

I genuinely do not understand 

Think those quality players will stick around if we're relegated to league 2?  I doubt it.  As soon as we're down, the good players will immediately be off, and come the summer, we'll be scrabbling around for signings again.  So no, as it stands, there isn't a great deal of difference.

Anyway, my *actual* point was that actually, the recruitment last summer wasn't bad at all.  2 years ago was a disaster, but last summer we had Slater, Steele, Bird, Hylton, Norey, Adams, McIntosh.  As a fanbase, if we don't try and shift goalposts, then apart from the defensive issue (which I and a few others were shouted down for going on about at the time), we were generally pretty happy with recruitment during the summer.

7 hours ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Think those quality players will stick around if we're relegated to league 2?  I doubt it.  As soon as we're down, the good players will immediately be off, and come the summer, we'll be scrabbling around for signings again.  So no, as it stands, there isn't a great deal of difference.

Anyway, my *actual* point was that actually, the recruitment last summer wasn't bad at all.  2 years ago was a disaster, but last summer we had Slater, Steele, Bird, Hylton, Norey, Adams, McIntosh.  As a fanbase, if we don't try and shift goalposts, then apart from the defensive issue (which I and a few others were shouted down for going on about at the time), we were generally pretty happy with recruitment during the summer.

They’re both already on 2 year deals though so they don’t really have any choice? 

8 hours ago, ExiledLichtie said:

😂

Seriously some AFC fans on here discussing we "could" be relegated to League 2 next season = get a grip ffs!!

That WILL NOT happen and you can bring this message up and ram it down my throat at the end of next season if it does happen.

IF we are out of the top 4 anytime during the season i will be disappointed, the AFC Board have laid down next seasons expectations to JMc and he said this at the recent Q&A and he knows he is under pressure from the first game of the season and i am sure if we are not in the top 4 after the first quarter then there could/will be changes.

I have been impressed with the re-signings and the new signings and others (if they are true which i have heard of) still to come in.

Anyway i re-newed my Red Lichtie season ticket this morning.

Smokies & Wine 36-0.    

Posted (edited)

Any player could be unhappy and want to leave at any point during their contracts - if they're unhappy at being relegated and going down a division or about literally anything else - that's the same with every other player on the planet contracted at any club so I'm not sure what is naive 

With guys like Gallagher and Reilly, part time players based in and who play in Scotland, they are here for a longer period of time and potentially a really long period of time which gives us stability and allows us to build up an actual squad and team unit - something that we have got away from in the last 2 seasons with the FT players.

The players we have had on trial all fall into that FT category and are always gonna be at most one and done. They've all been here for a year maximum. One year of living in the town, playing for us and then moving on. 

Gallagher and Reilly and other part time players based in Scotland are not short term fixes that will leave us in the lurch in 6 months or a years time when we have to go and try to find a replacement for them - they have already committed to 2 years and if they 2 years go well then they could be here for a season or two more after that. So we will have 2 years minimum and potentially more to bring in other players to compliment the squad and then maybe further down the line to replace them when they move on. 

Like how Stewart, Gold, ToB and Hammy are our continuity at the moment as the squad transitions 

That is the point I was trying to make. Relegation to L2 next season seems extremely far fetched though I agree.

Edited by 1320Lichtie

3 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Please elaborate? 

We have just got relegated there with players who signed 2 year deals last year 

If a player wants a move it matters not a jot the length of a contract they are 'tied in to'.  Your club is not going to hold on to a disgruntled / troublemaker type who wants away.

At this level contracts almost always benefit the player, not the club. Managers contract situation similar.

Doesn't work the other way ie. £1800 a week S.Allan, sure Arbroath wanted shot of him but he could hold on for the lucrative duration.

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Any player could be unhappy and want to leave at any point during their contracts - if they're unhappy at being relegated and going down a division or about literally anything else - that's the same with every other player on the planet contracted at any club so I'm not sure what is naive 

With guys like Gallagher and Reilly, part time players based in and who play in Scotland, they are here for a longer period of time and potentially a really long period of time which gives us stability and allows us to build up an actual squad and team unit - something that we have got away from in the last 2 seasons with the FT players.

The players we have had on trial all fall into that FT category and are always gonna be at most one and done. They've all been here for a year maximum. One year of living in the town, playing for us and then moving on. 

Gallagher and Reilly and other part time players based in Scotland are not short term fixes that will leave us in the lurch in 6 months or a years time when we have to go and try to find a replacement for them - they have already committed to 2 years and if they 2 years go well then they could be here for a season or two more after that. So we will have 2 years minimum and potentially more to bring in other players to compliment the squad and then maybe further down the line to replace them when they move on. 

Like how Stewart, Gold, ToB and Hammy are our continuity at the moment as the squad transitions 

That is the point I was trying to make. Relegation to L2 next season seems extremely far fetched though I agree.

As above 

21 minutes ago, speedframe said:

If a player wants a move it matters not a jot the length of a contract they are 'tied in to'.  Your club is not going to hold on to a disgruntled / troublemaker type who wants away.

At this level contracts almost always benefit the player, not the club. Managers contract situation similar.

Doesn't work the other way ie. £1800 a week S.Allan, sure Arbroath wanted shot of him but he could hold on for the lucrative duration.

You are making assumptions on how a player will feel and also on their professionalism / potential behaviour. Yes there may be an Ali Adams who refuses to turn up to training and then there may be someone on the other end of the scale who doesn’t want to leave due to the contract being beneficial to them but that’s the exception not the rule

You also completely missed the point I was making which is quoted above. 

It was on the benefits of signing part time players based in Scotland on longer deals instead of signing players who wanted to be FT, from down south or abroad, signing short term deals, living in the town for a year and then moving on. 

Edited by 1320Lichtie