The Arbroath Thread

We have 15 games left and will probably need to win at least 7 of them to avoid relegation / play offs.

Last season Ayr finished 3rd bottom with 39 points - winning only won 9 games, Morton finished 4th bottom also winning only 9 games.

We have only won 3 games - so based on the above, we roughly need to win 7 games to reach safety.

Hamilton are breathing down our necks and if Cove start winning games we are in deep trouble.

We do however have some of the best players in this league and a very good manager who lost his way with the summer signings - much of this has been addressed in the January window.

We need to start winning games - no ifs, no buts, no nothing. 

After a number of years of great success based on a stable squad the start of the inevitable transition has arrived this season. It's quite a change.

Remained at the club from last season -

Gaston, Gold, Hammy, Hilson, Linn, Little, McKenna, O’Brian, Stewart

Left -

Antell, Craigen, Donnelly, Henderson, Low, Swankie, Thompson

Left at end of loan -

Dowds, Chris Hamilton, Jack Hamilton, Wighton

In then out -

Corfe(?), Fosu, Hancock (loan), Isiaka, Oakley (loan),Paterson (loan out), Shanks (loan out)

In -

Adarkwa, Allan, Balde, Bitsindou (loan), Dow, Gill, Hoti, Jacobs, El-Mhanni, Tait (loan), Hetherington (loan)

Of our current squad of 20 -

9 remain from last season

6 arrived earlier this season

5 arrived in January

and we're apparently not finished yet.

It's not surprising that we've become very inconsistent. 

This year and next (if we can stay in the Championship) will be tough ones.

Edited by stan3600

6 hours ago, clashcityrocker said:

We have 15 games left and will probably need to win at least 7 of them to avoid relegation / play offs.

Last season Ayr finished 3rd bottom with 39 points - winning only won 9 games, Morton finished 4th bottom also winning only 9 games.

We have only won 3 games - so based on the above, we roughly need to win 7 games to reach safety.

Hamilton are breathing down our necks and if Cove start winning games we are in deep trouble.

We do however have some of the best players in this league and a very good manager who lost his way with the summer signings - much of this has been addressed in the January window.

Not sure Hamilton are breathing down any necks. They must have lost something like 6 or 7 in a row. Cant seem to score a goal for love or money. We're shite but not as bad as them.

1 hour ago, Tattie36 said:

I’m really struggling to see a way out of this

The only way out of this is to win 7 games out of the remaining 15 fixtures and hope that Cove continue to lose games.

If we agree that 40 points is the safety zone then Raith are only 3 wins away from achieving this - we won't be catching them.

We are now at the stage where we are running out of games with little margin for error.

We have the squad who can achieve this ( with perhaps 1 or 2 more new signings soon) - but we are now at last chance saloon.

Every game between now and the end of the season is a cup final.

6 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

You have some of the most epic mood swings of any of the lichties on here.  Its properly up and down stuff!

I take it your talking about Clash? My mood has been permanently down this season 🙂😆😆

Edited by Tattie36

9 hours ago, clashcityrocker said:

If we do have some of the best players in the league and a very good manager then we wouldn't be in the position we are in.

But you are spot on regarding winning games, draws won't keep us up.

What is needed for the remainder of the season is some consistency in team selection although with the amount of new players brought in this month I do not know how we achieve this a lot of questions being asked about poor performances from our usually reliable defence but out of our 21 league games the back four has been changed in 11 games thats not counting the the 3 changes in one game against ICT on Saturday we have 17 games to save our season the manager must quickly decide on his best team and stick with it 

12 hours ago, clashcityrocker said:

The murmurings of a mad man. I’d like to know who exactly in our team is one of the “best players in the league” 

12 hours ago, clashcityrocker said:

If you had a very good manager and some of the best players in the league you wouldn’t be second bottom. 

However you are because your manager is a stubborn git and made a balls up with recruitment in the summer. He’s wrong to say that Arbroath fans need to be realistic as it’s more than realistic to expect more than a relegation battle in this league but it’s also a mess of his own making and the squad you have right now is absolutely bottom two. 

I have to say, I do find the reactionary comments people make after every game fairly wild at times..... Dick was not a hero after the Dundee game, and he isn't a terrible manager after the Inverness game....  As I have said previously, I'll be judging things fully come mid February when the new signings have settled in and played half a dozen games, and we know what we've got until the end of the campaign. 

I also feel there's a lot of 'well SOMEONE must be to blame' for every single thing that's gone wrong this season. Sometimes players lose form, lose confidence, lose a yard of pace etc..... also, as I'm sure we're all very aware, things change as we age..... The reaction to these things is 'well whose fault is it?' and in some situations the answer can acceptably be that it's no-one's fault as such? Gats made a couple of howlers on Saturday, while Tam and the rest of the defence were also poor..... They're not suddenly shite players, and it's certainly not Dick's fault for playing two players who have been superb for us over the years. Yet after individual errors by them and others who have previously been extremely reliable appears to be Dick's fault. He's fucked up many things this season, but I don't understand the need to blame him for things that're quite clearly not his fault.

Like the above, the whole 'things changed when Scott Allan came in' line is just absolutely horseshit and putting 2 + 2 together to get 100. Nicky Low leaving had absolutely nothing to do with Scott Allan.

Every player we've signed this window looks to be an improvement on what they've replaced.... we've quite clearly improved the starting 11/ squad and given ourselves a good chance of staying up in my opinion. We're definitely going to score more goals between now and the end of the season than we were previously and we're in a much better position than we were two weeks ago.

Finally the whole 'people would prefer we were relegated under Dick than sacking him' line is utter shite. People would prefer we keep Dick rather than sacking him because they think keeping him is still the best option to stay up. No-one is happy to go down, regardless of who is in charge. However some people (including myself) think it would be absurd to sack a manager who has done so well for the club, around a transfer window after lining things up for months (as we saw in the opening days of the window).