The Arbroath Thread

11 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

If you had a very good manager and some of the best players in the league you wouldn’t be second bottom. 

However you are because your manager is a stubborn git and made a balls up with recruitment in the summer. He’s wrong to say that Arbroath fans need to be realistic as it’s more than realistic to expect more than a relegation battle in this league but it’s also a mess of his own making and the squad you have right now is absolutely bottom two. 

I agree.  But hopefully the weakness of the Squad is now being addressed 

1 hour ago, SimonLichtie said:

Finally the whole 'people would prefer we were relegated under Dick than sacking him' line is utter shite. People would prefer we keep Dick rather than sacking him because they think keeping him is still the best option to stay up. No-one is happy to go down, regardless of who is in charge. However some people (including myself) think it would be absurd to sack a manager who has done so well for the club, around a transfer window after lining things up for months (as we saw in the opening days of the window).

I think he's going to take us down.  Evidence shows just how hard it can be for a manager to turn around a run of sustained poor form.  Sometimes you just need a fresh face.  Even looking at Dick's past record shows that.  So I think that by keeping him, we are going down.  It would make sense to bring a fresh face in.

However, once we get relegated, then Dick is probably the best man to have a crack at getting us promoted again.  Again, looking at his record shows that.  So it also makes sense to keep him. 😂

13 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

If you had a very good manager and some of the best players in the league you wouldn’t be second bottom. 

However you are because your manager is a stubborn git and made a balls up with recruitment in the summer. He’s wrong to say that Arbroath fans need to be realistic as it’s more than realistic to expect more than a relegation battle in this league but it’s also a mess of his own making and the squad you have right now is absolutely bottom two. 

Dick campbell has more or less had a stable squad for the last 3 seasons but evidently it’s starting to break up this season with guys moving on , As an outsider looking in Campbells always stating in interviews recruitment is key you have to bring in better players than you already which he hasn’t as results speak for themselves . The best part time team in Scotland only lasts so long in the championship  as your full time clubs last season had a battered nose a few times from playing Arbroath and these teams will just go on to strengthen further , My club are just a shambles on / off the park at the moment due to chancing the dream of the play offs and chucking money at something it’s rarely achievable but that the quandary Arbroath are in ! happy to survive or happy to compete ? If you want to compete it will come at a price .

1 hour ago, ExiledLichtie said:

I think he's going to take us down.  Evidence shows just how hard it can be for a manager to turn around a run of sustained poor form.  Sometimes you just need a fresh face.  Even looking at Dick's past record shows that.  So I think that by keeping him, we are going down.  It would make sense to bring a fresh face in.

However, once we get relegated, then Dick is probably the best man to have a crack at getting us promoted again.  Again, looking at his record shows that.  So it also makes sense to keep him. 😂

If campbell was a good manager he wouldn’t have spent the majority of his career managing Angus clubs in the lower leagues hence why bigger teams have never offered him a job , However I do agree he’s good at what he does regarding managing anywhere below championship level he knows the teams, players inside out and what’s required to achieve promotion with limited resources , As his record shows he has limited coaching ability at Dunfermline Bert Paton was the main man and at Patrick the fans drove him out due to poor results , Also where is Arbroaths youth development ? Do they have one ? Is there any youngsters coming through ? 

11 minutes ago, basher brash said:

If campbell was a good manager he wouldn’t have spent the majority of his career managing Angus clubs in the lower leagues hence why bigger teams have never offered him a job , However I do agree he’s good at what he does regarding managing anywhere below championship level he knows the teams, players inside out and what’s required to achieve promotion with limited resources , As his record shows he has limited coaching ability at Dunfermline Bert Paton was the main man and at Patrick the fans drove him out due to poor results , Also where is Arbroaths youth development ? Do they have one ? Is there any youngsters coming through ? 

Did dick campbell pump your missus?

Oh look, the club are being laughed at on social media Because if the annoying, loud and useless commentator. Iv had to suffer one match this season with him and it was torture. It’s a real shame because the co-commentator (Fraser?) seems a really knowledgable guy but he couldn’t get a word in.

4 hours ago, TASC_1878 said:

Today marks 5 years since we sadly lost John McGlashan. 

Heroes get remembered, but legends never die. John McGlashan is a legend

🇱🇻❤️🇱🇻

408B9048-057E-48D2-AB9B-05FCE0D1CE62.jpeg

Terrific player and always seemed a nice man on the few occasions our path’s crossed. Didn’t realise it has been 5 years since he passed. 

2 hours ago, basher brash said:

He's won league 2, league 1, and done 4 seasons in the championship with us.  He's clearly not a bad manager.  Are you just bitter because Raith have spent the last few years sat on our mantlepiece?

46 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

He's won league 2, league 1, and done 4 seasons in the championship with us.  He's clearly not a bad manager.  Are you just bitter because Raith have spent the last few years sat on our mantlepiece?

He's also been and probably still is a better manager than some of the utter diddies that Raith have had in charge over the last few years. Locke, McKinnon, Smith to name a few. If he keeps us up this season, I think it may be time for us to move in another direction, ironically, if he takes us down I would 100% keep him, seems a bit strange to say that. There's no doubting the job he has done at Arbroath from where he has taken us has been phenomenal. Hopefully he can turn this season around but we need to get a momentum going, seems to be one step forward two steps back.

1 hour ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Personally think DC is a good manager and your stats back that up.I,d have taken him at Starks before some of the right diddies we,ve had

Old school say it as it is manager

3 hours ago, Anotherlichtie said:

Oh look, the club are being laughed at on social media Because if the annoying, loud and useless commentator. Iv had to suffer one match this season with him and it was torture. It’s a real shame because the co-commentator (Fraser?) seems a really knowledgable guy but he couldn’t get a word in.

He's not my cup of tea for commentating and I much prefer Fraser but don't think he deserves to be called useless. Not a professional commentator as far as I know. The main issue when they both commantate is that they both seem to be doing the same role. One should be the lead commentator (Fraser) with the other offering some summary. 

21 minutes ago, Hammerafc said:

He's not my cup of tea for commentating and I much prefer Fraser but don't think he deserves to be called useless. Not a professional commentator as far as I know. The main issue when they both commantate is that they both seem to be doing the same role. One should be the lead commentator (Fraser) with the other offering some summary. 

100% this. 

51 minutes ago, Hammerafc said:

Do you enjoy being shouted at by the commentator while watching a game of football? I certainly don’t. I feel sorry for the “audio only” streamers. Must be a long 90 minutes for them

At least we can look back and put things into perspective a bit - today is the 19th anniversary of our 1-4 home pumping by Spartans in the Scottish Cup. Infinitely better getting pumped by the same score line in the Championship.

Shows how far we’ve come.

Rather poignantly, John McGlashan opening the scoring for us that day and it was also 5 years ago today that he died.

I actually thought for 35/40 minutes we played well against ICT on Saturday and if we never lost a daft goal bang on half-time things might have been different.

When you are down at the bottom your luck is out and look at all the breaks of the ball on Saturday 95% of them seemed to land at a ICT player plus their right back (who was playing no 8 )   was superb plus Billy McKay is still a quality striker, add to that some of our BIG players are off form (Gatts, TOB, Ricky, Hammy, Mikey) players that it is hard to have a go at because in the main they have been heroes for us over the past seasons, we are also getting "punished" when opposing teams get a chance whereas in the past (either good defending or luck) we managed to clear our lines.

Positives - there is no doubt we now have a stronger squad than 4 weeks ago and hopefully an experienced big striker still to come in, just look at the bench on Saturday, it was far superior to a few weeks ago, so we have 15 games to go and lets be honest we are now in a mini-league of 3 teams so our aim is to finish above both Hamilton and Cove Rangers and i am confident we can do this. 

Mistakes have been made by D.C. this season there is no doubt about that but we have 15 games to save our season and this is the time for all Red Lichtie fans to back the club and the players.   

12 hours ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Sitting on Arbroaths mantelpiece doesn’t define a football clubs season does it , Bitter get a grip it’s a forum for opinions you have yours I have mines no bitterness from me I couldn’t careless about Dick campbell nor Arbroath ,