The Arbroath Thread

37 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

Absolutely not and, as I already said, I agree with your point in general. Just with that game in particular it seemed a bit unfair to single out Oakley as everyone was crap and he was left really exposed in the first half.

But ok by some, to hang Hancock out to dry, in a game when the whole team was rancid 

Edited by ecto

32 minutes ago, ecto said:

But ok by some, to hang Hancock out to dry, in a game when the whole team was rancid 

Did I say it was?

Personally, I don’t think a player should be overly criticised for a single performance as there are often mitigating circumstances.

Play poorly regularly then there’s normally more to it that blaming others. Not singling out Hancock here as he was no worse than many of the team. However, I do understand why he got criticism as he showed promise early on, had played first team football for Aberdeen and their fans seemed to rate him. Unfortunate timing for him I reckon - young guy, often playing out of position for a struggling team followed by injury.

I wouldn’t be disappointed if we had him again to see how he gets on in a better (hopefully) team. Very unlikely though imo.

Edited by Tattie36

Tbf oakley was shafted as soon as Stewart got injured never got anyone playing right sided midfield was this weird lob sided formation we played for weeks/month with oakley constantly doing doggies up and down the park with very little to no support.  

sure dick played gold and heatherington widest midfielders that day in cove with yasin coming on LW at haft time 

25 minutes ago, SmokeyJoe said:

Tbf oakley was shafted as soon as Stewart got injured never got anyone playing right sided midfield was this weird lob sided formation we played for weeks/month with oakley constantly doing doggies up and down the park with very little to no support.  

sure dick played gold and heatherington widest midfielders that day in cove with yasin coming on LW at haft time 

I think he’s talking about the 1st game at Cove. Yasin and heatherington werent signed at that point. 

talking of Heatherington, has he signed anywhere yet? 

40 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

I think he’s talking about the 1st game at Cove. Yasin and heatherington werent signed at that point. 

Yes. The only other game Oakley played v Cove was the home 1-1 where he had an excellent game but was subbed as he  was “tired” according to Campbell. A decision that cost us the win imo.

1 hour ago, lichtie23 said:

Yeah I mean the first game. Got muddled up with games as both pretty terrible.

was midfield consistent of tait gold Allan jabobs linn just looked back dick made 5 subs around the hour mark.

Back 4 of oakley little hammy Hancock 

terrible day 

41 minutes ago, SmokeyJoe said:

Yeah I mean the first game. Got muddled up with games as both pretty terrible.

was midfield consistent of tait gold Allan jabobs linn just looked back dick made 5 subs around the hour mark.

Back 4 of oakley little hammy Hancock 

terrible day 

Might be the worst performance of the season…..and there were plenty really bad ones. Don’t think we ever looked like scoring and couldn’t string more than 2 passes together 

If we don't sign a left sided defender to fill Hammy's role I get the feeling that Steele will be played out of position at left back with Goldie or Stewart filling in at right back.

Hope I'm wrong about that but it could be the sort of thing Dick would do so that he could sign another midfielder instead.

9 minutes ago, SotesBornalichtie said:

If we don't sign a left sided defender to fill Hammy's role I get the feeling that Steele will be played out of position at left back with Goldie or Stewart filling in at right back.

Hope I'm wrong about that but it could be the sort of thing Dick would do so that he could sign another midfielder instead.

Realistically we need another 7 or 8 players in. I would hope a left back would be one of them… or at least a player who could comfortably cover any position across the back line.

15 currently signed, imagine we will go with a squad of around 20-21, of that 3 will be probably be loans so think we will see another 2 permanent signings. As mentioned, one has to be a left sided defender unless there is better news on Hammy.

Should know soon if Heatherington is signing - would imagine he has been offered a contract ?

We still need to sign another striker - a half decent, Championship level striker will do the trick.

Would expect maybe 3 more signings and perhaps 3 loan players.

These things might take time to get over the line - so could be a waiting game.

12 minutes ago, clashcityrocker said:

Should know soon if Heatherington is signing - would imagine he has been offered a contract ?

We still need to sign another striker - a half decent, Championship level striker will do the trick.

Heatherington was announced as signing for Alloa today. 

24 minutes ago, clashcityrocker said:

Hetherington was confirmed at Alloa today and was never ever going to come back after we had announced him as leaving

1 hour ago, Smokerson said:

15 currently signed, imagine we will go with a squad of around 20-21, of that 3 will be probably be loans so think we will see another 2 permanent signings. As mentioned, one has to be a left sided defender unless there is better news on Hammy.

We currently have one striker and 2 wingers, one winger who is Scott Stewart - who really doesn’t give much going forward and is probably more of a wing back and the other is Ryan Dow who is a steady and reliable player but not a game changer, someone to run at players or score a goal.

Aye we need someone to play left back until Hamilton returns however we will be as powderpuff as last year if we do not put full focus into strikers and wingers. I feel like Dicks not signed a good out and out attacking winger in his whole time here and has been saved by the fact we have had Bobby. 

ETA - would also like the left back to be a loan - a permanent signing left back seems a waste of time cause as soon as Hamilton is fit he’d be benched. 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

Absolute minimum we need a decent winger, a striker (preferably two) and a left back/defender. Absolutely hate the possibility of having to wait for loans to fill these positions as it’s a total lottery. Yes, we’ve been very fortunate with some loans in the past but you really can’t rely on them. It’s also harder to get decent loans now with the increase in subs and match day squad sizes. Teams just aren’t putting the same quality of players out on loan anymore.

I’ve said this before but I would much rather have as strong as possible a squad of signed players with a loan or two as the cherry on top.

Aye for me 

left back / defender - preferably on loan 

5 more players in attacking third 

Goalkeeper - covered 

Defence - Steele, Little, Hamilton, ToB - new player (Stewart comfortable at right back) 

Centre Midfield - Jacobs, Balde, Slater, McKenna, Allan, Gold 

Wide midfield players - Dow / Stewart 

Striker - McIntosh

A great goalkeeper and a back up - defence looks solid 

Centre midfield - plenty of options

Ahead of that we are light though and that was the same situation last year. 

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

Heatherington was announced as signing for Alloa today. 

When Jacobs was re-signed it was obvious Hetherington wasn’t coming