The Arbroath Thread

43 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Like who though? I think we have signed some of the best part time players available? 

McIntosh been at the best level and scored the most goals of any part time striker last season? 

Slater up for L2 player of the year and was absolutely raved about by Forfar fans? 

Who would’ve definitely been better than they 2 that’s went to a PT L1 club? 

Steele was described as the one player EF fans wanted to keep, in a position we needed, young and had 2 full seasons of football in L1 and L2 under his belt. 

Stowe had plenty of interest and doing things not many players at all could do yes it’s at a lower level but it’s definitely a punt worth taking. 

Its easy to be negative but if you look for the positives and realise the actual market we are in then the only player I’m really disappointed in losing out on is Hetherington and he obviously had his own personal reasons for going to Alloa.

This is where I am at currently, it looks like we have signed East Fife and Forfar's best player and one of Cove's best players along with taking a punt on two unknowns. In addition despite what Dick says about loans, I predict we will see loans from prem clubs in our squad by mid to late August. 

If he is saying we need 5 then that means he will bringing in 3 new players, I didnt see much from Saturday to suggest they would all come from the trialists that played.

14 hours ago, Smokerson said:

If a few taysode teams made the highland league plus Brechin it may turn out ok, I think Banks of Dee are highland now also?

Banks o’ Dee, in spite of the name, are from Aberdeen and not Tayside.

28 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

Banks o’ Dee, in spite of the name, are from Aberdeen and not Tayside.

I was making a point that they weren't exactly in the highlands so an away game for the likes of Brechin and Lochee that wouldnt be too far.

5 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Checked and he has went to a Full Time team… 😂

Again shows how hard a market it can be for us, aye part time has its pros but it makes it difficult too. So many FT clubs now it feels like. There are only 17 Part Time clubs out the 42 I think. 

Who was it, McMullan?

49 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

Who was it, McMullan?

No he’s well out our league surely, I had heard Scott Robinson but he’s went to Thistle. Todorov went to Airdrie. If I’m guessing I’m sure we would’ve been wondering about O’Hara who’s went to Hamilton too…. It’s no easy finding guys good enough and who want to be Part Time. It’s a very niche and small market which is why we have had to look at different options. 

5 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

No he’s well out our league surely, I had heard Scott Robinson but he’s went to Thistle. Todorov went to Airdrie. If I’m guessing I’m sure we would’ve been wondering about O’Hara who’s went to Hamilton too…. It’s no easy finding guys good enough and who want to be Part Time. It’s a very niche and small market which is why we have had to look at different options. 

Would have loved Todorov or O'Hara at the Red Lichties but totally understand players wanting to stay full-time albeit on the lower scale wage as long as they can.

I am sure DC/IC/BS has an experienced strike lined up to partner McIntosh who i rate highly, 36-0. 

10 hours ago, Smokerson said:

This is where I am at currently, it looks like we have signed East Fife and Forfar's best player 

Sorry but no way was Steele our best player last season. That would be Alex Ferguson from St. Johnstone.

I rated Sam Denham as better centre back than Steele.

Steele only moved to right back when Stewart Murdoch got injured and to his credit was fairly effective against limited opposition.

7 hours ago, Beachcomber said:

Sorry but no way was Steele our best player last season. That would be Alex Ferguson from St. Johnstone.

Steele only moved to right back when Stewart Murdoch got injured and to his credit was fairly effective against limited opposition.

Alex Ferguson is a St Johnstone player though so not really relevant. Denham also out for up to a year with an acl injury so wouldn't be a target for many clubs at the moment. 

7 hours ago, Beachcomber said:

There was more than one person who said that Steele would be at the top of your list for trying to keep a hold of… And aye Ferguson is a St Johnstone player.

It’s trivial anyway that’s just your opinion, fact is that he is a younger player we’ve obviously seen potential in and fits the mould of someone we should be going for 

On the trialists I honestly do not know why the club just don’t say who they are. Brechin said that Naglik boys name on Saturday and he was a trialist 

10 hours ago, AFC360PUNK1320 said:

Would have loved Todorov or O'Hara at the Red Lichties but totally understand players wanting to stay full-time albeit on the lower scale wage as long as they can.

I am sure DC/IC/BS has an experienced strike lined up to partner McIntosh who i rate highly, 36-0. 

Why would you have "LOVED" them? Just Because you have actually heard there names  before.

18 minutes ago, Lichtie2710 said:

Does anyone in here go to the AGM meetings? Just curious as to what would be talked about 

They ask for everything that’s said to be kept in house and not put on social media/internet 

3 hours ago, Hayshead2 said:

Why would you have "LOVED" them? Just Because you have actually heard there names  before.

Tbf I agree with him, maybe not as arsed over Todorov but I really like O’Hara.

Think we’ve got a good striker in Leighton though so wouldn’t write that off, he seems to have come on as a football player, and a good scoring record last year considering how poor Cove were, he looks extremely fit (always has) and quick. Think he could be perfect for us and the way we play. 

2 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

They ask for everything that’s said to be kept in house and not put on social media/internet 

That’s a shame, I’d be interested to know what reason, if any, they give for why Kane didn’t go back to Arbroath.

1 hour ago, Aidan said:

That’s a shame, I’d be interested to know what reason, if any, they give for why Kane didn’t go back to Arbroath.

It’s a running joke, every single Q and A or whatever that happens there is always someone who asks about Hester. Hester had his own wee fan club here since the day he left.