The Arbroath Thread

1 hour ago, SmokeyJoe said:

Jacobs was fit towards the end of last season so had time for the extra rest and get himself in top condition for the new season starting. With all the games he played last season he was never up to speed and always looked miles off it and that’s exactly the same this season so far. He’s had bad injuries in his career and it looks like as he’s not cut out for this level anymore. Seems like he’s been signed on again for the type of guy he is in the background I’d say

as for turan he’s purely a centre forward possibly drop him behind the striker centrally but that’s at a push 

I wonder if we might have to “eat”a bit of Jacobs wages and try and punt him out on loan, for the season 

12 hours ago, SmokeyJoe said:

Jacobs was fit towards the end of last season so had time for the extra rest and get himself in top condition for the new season starting. With all the games he played last season he was never up to speed and always looked miles off it and that’s exactly the same this season so far. He’s had bad injuries in his career and it looks like as he’s not cut out for this level anymore. Seems like he’s been signed on again for the type of guy he is in the background I’d say

as for turan he’s purely a centre forward possibly drop him behind the striker centrally but that’s at a push 

Absolutely the reason for it it’s all good and well but can’t carry passengers in this league - and we’ve already got a couple 

No interview after Saturday for some reason so fingers crossed Steele injury isn’t too bad and he can play tonight. One of the main positives so far. If we’d beat Cowdenbeath then imagine a good crowd would’ve went through tonight and possibly winning tonight would’ve set it up for a good crowd on Saturday too. Not now though 

However just got to use the 2 games to sort out all our issues and get some match fitness and hopefully positivity going into the league season.

Edited by 1320Lichtie

Aye no sure if I’ll go tonight or not think I’ll wait to see what team is before I make my decision could see something wild being picked. 

id go for

adams 

Stewart little tob gold

slater McKenna 

stowe Allan balde

mcintosh 

Agree I think the next 2 games will be used as nothing other than friendlies now, when the group was drawn there was a lot of hope we could at worst qualify as one of the best runners up, 

Think Adams, Allan, Turan, Mcintosh, Jacobs will all be among the starters tonight,

Hopefully Gold starts at Left back as teams are having a field day taking advantage of Scott Stewart, 

1 hour ago, lichtiekev said:

Turan, Jacobs will all be among the starters tonight,

Enough to put anyone off. I think general consensus is that Jacobs is just finished but surely he can be ok against Forfar.

With Turan I just really want to see one positive aspect of his game, he’s a striker - try and make something happen that helps us going forward as a team please. That’s all I would like to see from the guy. I know I’m picking on him and maybe being overly harsh but after last year and even the year before we’ve had so many attacking players who are just completely pointless and bring absolutely nothing to the table. It’s infuriating.  

Again tonight is against League 2 opposition so it’s going to be much harder come the start of the league games. Would hope that we put in a much better performance and look more robust. We need that mentally more than anything, the previous 2 games must have put a big element of doubt in to the players minds, don’t want to carry that into the league season. 

Also would like to see a degree of professionalism back. Hope Rab is back too now he seems to have gone missing, he’s a massive character and I hope we have a sports scientist lined up to take Kevin Milnes job. 

1 hour ago, lichtiekev said:

Agree I think the next 2 games will be used as nothing other than friendlies now, when the group was drawn there was a lot of hope we could at worst qualify as one of the best runners up, 

Think Adams, Allan, Turan, Mcintosh, Jacobs will all be among the starters tonight,

Hopefully Gold starts at Left back as teams are having a field day taking advantage of Scott Stewart, 

Being Realisic we were always likely to loose away to St Mirren. We took 2 points from Cowden game so only 1 point less than  was expected. Surely we can still win the next 2 games ??

3 minutes ago, Hayshead2 said:

Being Realisic we were always likely to loose away to St Mirren. We took 2 points from Cowden game so only 1 point less than  was expected. Surely we can still win the next 2 games ??

Only the 3 best second placed teams go through - usually need 9 points and a good goal difference 

28 minutes ago, Hayshead2 said:

We should have comfortably beat Cowden regardless if they have improved on last season or not. We are a championship side and they are lowland league. That manner of performance was also very worrying as we weren’t great and they looked better than us at times. 2 points or not it should have been 3 and few goals to help the GD if it was to be important or not. 

defeat to st Mirren was probable but again the manner of defeat was rubbish.

Forfar and Montrose have already shown they are in decent shape with a couple decent results so we really need to show up and massively improve performances.

we won’t qualify now but we definitely need to play to win and gain confidence and momentum for the start of the league campaign because it’s a difficult start. 

Highly doubt we will make the next round - can't see us finishing as one of the second best teams - if anything, we might concede more points.

Really frustrating to miss out on a decent cup run ( along with the 27k funding for reaching the next round - which will now go to some of our rivals).

I won't be going tonight -unfortunately I think we are out of the competition ( failing to beat Cowdenbeath has now only given us a very slim chance of qualifying).

35 minutes ago, Hayshead2 said:

This.  We have realistically dropped 1 point so far.  St. Mirren this summer were a very different proposition to St. Mirren last summer,so I'm not too bothered there.  

You'd hope that even our more experimental line ups would have enough to take care of business, as long as we take it seriously.  There was maybe some complacency regarding Cowdenbeath, certainly was from the fans on here, so you have to hope that has been crushed out of our players and management.

So no doubt we will use the next couple of games to try things out, but if we take it seriously, we should be able to win.  

I think we’ve got to take these seriously not just for the players but for the fans too - after how bad last season was I’d hoped we’d look to absolutely go for it against Cowdenbeath to try and provide a bit of entertainment and excitement after how turgid last year was so for us to set up the way we did and then play the way we did was even more frustrating due to all of the above

Should be taking these seriously, even though it’s now meaningless if we get beat off Montrose and Hester scores it will majorly piss me off 😂

Edited by 1320Lichtie

Our first league game is in just over a week, against the favourites for the league and live on tv, we cant afford to not take this seriously. Speaking of which not having a proper left back to start the season is sunday league stuff, especially since we’ve known this for about 4 months.

48 minutes ago, Lichtie78 said:

Even Dick Campbell must realise he is running out of credit in the bank and not be so stupid as to treat two derbies (against teams who will be choking to beat us) as friendlies.

I think he’s untouchable mate.