The Arbroath Thread

"Bryan Prunty

Dick Campbell has again been active again in the transfer market and has agreed terms with experienced striker Bryan Prunty.

Bryan has spent the last two seasons at Airdrieonians but after they announced they were moving to full time football, Bryan prefered to stay part time and Dick is delighted that he has chosen to move to Gayfield where he will link up with Steven Doris and Kane Hester up front.

Bryan has found goals at all the clubs he has played for and can list Celtic, Aberdeen, Inverness Caledonian Thistle, Ayr, Alloa and Dumbarton as his previous clubs. Bryan will bring this wealth of experience with him and a hunger to succeed at Gayfield.

Welcome to Arbroath FC! "

2 really good strikers on board and the makings of a brill midfield. Get the Keepers and defence sorted and it's looking like a good season ahead. Dick keep up the good work and the title is on.

Edited by blooby321

Rumour has it we have some really tasty pre season friendlies being negotiated. Be good to see them announced.

Probably a good wee tactic to boost the funds ever so slightly. Pure guess but guessing one will be Aberdeen, they must've took 2-3000!odd to the last one.

I'm delighted with Prunty. DC obviously got the gift of the gab, after hearing him at the Sportsmans I'm sure he could bag a date with Mila Kunis if he wanted. Players obviously wanting to play for him, obviously helped with the club backing him here. It's great, there's just no way Lumsden could pull signings like this off.

Colin Hamilton is heavily rumoured and just rejected Alloa so maybe see him in next. Never thought we would improve on Lowden but if we got him I'd say we definitely had.

Good times. In enjoying this summer so far anyway.

Probably a good wee tactic to boost the funds ever so slightly. Pure guess but guessing one will be Aberdeen, they must've took 2-3000!odd to the last one.

I'm delighted with Prunty. DC obviously got the gift of the gab, after hearing him at the Sportsmans I'm sure he could bag a date with Mila Kunis if he wanted. Players obviously wanting to play for him, obviously helped with the club backing him here. It's great, there's just no way Lumsden could pull signings like this off.

Colin Hamilton is heavily rumoured and just rejected Alloa so maybe see him in next. Never thought we would improve on Lowden but if we got him I'd say we definitely had.

Good times. In enjoying this summer so far anyway.

All I have been told by two good sources is they are going to be good hopefully the club will announce soon.

Prunty is a good signing. Not the player he once was but stick him in the box and give him good service and he'll score you goals. Don't play him upfront on his own or expect him to create chances for himself though. Played a few times for the U20s this year too and possibly did a bit of coaching with them too, with good reviews about how helpful he was to them, so he'll be a great player to work with for any youngsters.

Looks like you guys mean business this year.

Edited by airdrieman

Right, as I promised 1320 on the other thread, here's something I made earlier when Bryan Prunty left us in 2014.

The term legend is chucked about meaninglessly nowadays. Players who have scored one decent goal are instantly labelled as one from over excited fans. Bryan Prunty is no such player.

Signing for Dumbarton in May 2011 nobody could surely have predicted how much of a hero the hitman would become with the Sons faithful. Bryan's first goal for the club came against East Stirlingshire in the Ramsdens Cup, it wasn't the greatest goal you'll ever see but in his celebration you could see just how much it meant to him, it was this that most endeared the former Alloa man to us- the ordinary fans. Whenever he took to the pitch he looked genuinely proud to be wearing the Elephant on his chest and that showed in his never-say-die attitude on the pitch. He scored 16 goals in the promotion winning season of 2011/12, including one in the home leg of the playoff final against hometown team Airdrie which caused me to rip my leg open falling down three rows of seats celebrating! 

Of course one aspect of his game will be remembered above all other, his legendary overhead kicks. In each of his three seasons with the Sons 'Prunts' notched one. His first came after only 45 seconds in a 3-0 victory over Stenhousemuir at the Rock. He became a cult hero in my Standard Grade Computing class earning the nickname Robin Van Prunty and thanks to that goal against Stenny he was a regular topic of conversation in the class. In 2013 he fancied going one better with, undeniably, one of the best goals ever scored by a Dumbarton player.

It was February 2013, Sons had lost 3-4 to Livingston the previous week at home and now faced them at Almondvale. 4 minutes in Paul McGinn (making only his second start for the club) swung in a cross to the edge of the box, what happened next will never be forgotten. Prunty took the ball on his chest, jumped backwards and unleashed a wonderful overhead bicycle kick from the edge of the box into the top corner of Andy McNeil's net (ironically McNeil will now be his team-mate at Airdrieonians) The goal went viral and even featured on Sky's Soccer AM.

Last season it took until the 75th minute of a game before he scored his trademark goal. It was a cold, miserable December night against former employers Alloa when he struck with a low effort from the edge of the box. The goal rescued a crucial point for the Sons.

His final goal came in a pre-season draw with Premiership Partick Thistle in July 2014

The thing many people will remember most about Prunty's time with Dumbarton isn't actually his performances on the pitch, it would be his son Liam who became the most famous ballboy in the stadium. 'Mini Prunts' as he was nicknamed was an ever present at the Rock and was always involved in his Dad's celebrations. Seeing both celebrating goals was a brilliant sight which would even have touched the heart of even seething away fans.

This morning it was revealed on the official website that Bryan had rejoined his former club Airdrieonians. The lack of game time recently meant that moving on would be best for both parties and that afternoon he (and 'Mini Prunts') were given a hero's send off as the home end applauded him down the tunnel for one final time.

'Prunts' leaves the Sons with a record of 75 starts, 36 substitute appearances and having hit 33 goals. He will go down in history as the man who scored 'That Goal' as well as a true Sons legend for his loyalty, ability, attitude and personality. All the best in the future Bryan, hopefully we'll see you back at the BBS soon!

I mean everything I wrote there, even a few years on. He's probably my favourite ever Dumbarton player, and an absolutely tremendous guy off the pitch. I guess most Lichties will know what they're getting on it. A hardworking goalscorer at this level, but off the pitch he's an outstanding ambassador for the club.

He's also capable of things like that^^^
Edited by Sonsteam of 08