The Arbroath Thread

Full time team against a part time team lacking in any confidence whatsoever in a midweek game. A relatively solid first 45 minutes and second half we were totally overrun. Hardly a huge surprise overall and pretty much to be expected given the circumstances.

Just now, 1320Lichtie said:

Yes - and bring different players in - that bench was utterly depressing tonight again - nothing against the guys on it but it’s just like for like - there’s nothing different - which was my point 

Sending Balde on loan an absolutely horrendous decision - Dicks left us in a mess 

Turan has been absolutely fine for us.  Norey has had one solitary game, and did really well, then never got another sniff.  But aye, down the road with them.  Who needs a bench?  Turan and Norey are not the problem here.

Agree about Balde, but then it was the same with every player we had under 29.  Too many players were wasted.   

I just hope we can get someone in soon and get this mess sorted.  Forget punting our meagre bench, priority number one has to be in defence.  We need defensive reinforcements, both first team and on the bench.  I said this last season, and nothing has changed.

Another month of pain to go before we can bring anyone in.

And i got a few pelters earlier this season for saying we lacked depth in the squad. Folk claiming 20 players was plenty.

Yet we pretty much lack anything on the bench that can challenge the players on the pitch. 

Next manager has a mountain to climb in terms of recruiting players.

1 minute ago, lichtie23 said:

So looking towards Ayr we could be without McIntosh, Gold, McKenna & Dow. Does that leave us with 3 on the bench? 

Yep but yet again - me and RedLichtie86 got pelters here for saying our squad was too light on numbers. We had 4 on the bench (3 outfield) v TNS and I was told “it’s fine” when I said it was embarrassing.

A couple of training knocks, a suspension or two and we could literally be unable to fulfil a fixture or have a single outfield player on the bench. Has that ever happened before?

2 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

Yep but yet again - me and RedLichtie86 got pelters here for saying our squad was too light on numbers. We had 4 on the bench (3 outfield) v TNS and I was told “it’s fine” when I said it was embarrassing.

A couple of training knocks, a suspension or two and we could literally be unable to fulfil a fixture or have a single outfield player on the bench. Has that ever happened before?

If only we had a youth/development team to fall back on have options on the bench.

5 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Turan has been absolutely fine for us.  Norey has had one solitary game, and did really well, then never got another sniff.  But aye, down the road with them.  Who needs a bench?  Turan and Norey are not the problem here.

Agree about Balde, but then it was the same with every player we had under 29.  Too many players were wasted.   

I just hope we can get someone in soon and get this mess sorted.  Forget punting our meagre bench, priority number one has to be in defence.  We need defensive reinforcements, both first team and on the bench.  I said this last season, and nothing has changed.

The whole squad is fine though - it’s all on the whole very meh I see no point in having the likes of both Dow and Turan or Norey and Jacobs and Lyon - it just seems pointless.

Hylton will be away too - Bird and McKenna are really the only players you’d fancy to score a goal. McIntosh too if he gets fit.

We absolutely need defensive  reinforcements I agree but we also need a whole load of other things too - the squads bloated with central midfield players and guys in midfield who just don’t offer enough going forward, if push come to shove I’d keep Turan over Dow but Dow won’t be going anywhere. 

2 minutes ago, RedLichtie86 said:

If only we had a youth/development team to fall back on have options on the bench.

I would make this a priority. We’ve recently started up a women’s team so why not boys - youth - development squads? Even Elgin City have agegroup teams from very young. Ok you could argue that it’s not worked for them but our youth team produced quite a few first team players in the past.

3 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

our youth team produced quite a few first team players in the past.

Unfortunately youth football at our level has changed massively since then. We would only be able to compete at the Advanced Youth Level, and realistically the chances of producing players that would then go on to play first team football for us in the Championship is incredibly low. I don't really see filling a full bench with a load of kids who aren't up to the required level as being any better than having less players than we can name on there. You're likely to end up with the same sort of quality as you could get signing the top amateur players in the region tomorrow to fill a bench.

Having some youth teams to integrate the town further with the club and build on the excellent work the Trust have done with the player pathway would be something I'd really like to see - but ultimately it'd have no real relevance/ effect on the first team at all.

You can't just have 24 players with no reserve or youth team and have the budget for them all to be decent enough to play when there are injuries and happy enough never to play and sit about waiting all season.

The size of the squad has not been the big problem excluding loaning Balde out. 1320 is correct it is the make up of the players we have. It's not a balanced squad for the numbers.

Just now, SimonLichtie said:

Unfortunately youth football at our level has changed massively since then. We would only be able to compete at the Advanced Youth Level, and realistically the chances of producing players that would then go on to play first team football for us in the Championship is incredibly low. I don't really see filling a full bench with a load of kids who aren't up to the required level as being any better than having less players than we can name on there. You're likely to end up with the same sort of quality as you could get signing the top amateur players in the region tomorrow to fill a bench.

Having some youth teams to integrate the town further with the club and build on the excellent work the Trust have done with the player pathway would be something I'd really like to see - but ultimately it'd have no real relevance/ effect on the first team at all.

Aye agree - a total waste of time and money - if we didn’t have the injuries I think we’d be alright - but the squads so unbalanced that it’s making it a total nightmare. 

Dick rightly paid the price for this and now we just need to get on with it 

3 minutes ago, mo83 said:

SP could be on...After the game tonight instead of going up the tunnel he walked round the pitch clapping the fan's first time ever he has done that.

He’d be the safest and most sensible option - all I want is some semblance of stability and normality. We’ve been a shambles forever it feels like 

But if we have no injuries and play the same folk all the time how does a player get match fit?

They cant do that sitting on a bench every week or the occasional bounce match.

A reserve/development team offers players a chance every week to play if they dont play in the first team. Keep themself ready to step in at a moments notice.

How do we get a player returning from injury up to speed?

How do we develop a player to make an impact in the first team with sporadic sub appearances?

Sick and tired of us constantly having barely anything on the bench. Lack of players in key areas especially when 1 or 2 get injured. And most of all.........

Not having enough players challenging for places. Too many knowing they will be playing next week regardless of how poor they play as there is no one to replace them with. A youth/development player would be eager to step in if a more exerienced player is getting complacent.

This small squad mentality is far too narrow minded.