The Arbroath Thread

16 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Balde done for drink driving. 

Release him 

Really, why ??

If he has been convicted,  he'll have lost his licence for at least a year,  been fined, suffered the public humiliation of drink driving, and you also want him to lose his job. 

Maybe he could do with a bit of guidance and support to get him back on track.

19 minutes ago, DUAFC said:

Really, why ??

If he has been convicted,  he'll have lost his licence for at least a year,  been fined, suffered the public humiliation of drink driving, and you also want him to lose his job. 

Maybe he could do with a bit of guidance and support to get him back on track.

Iv zero tolerance for drink driving. He knew what he was doing 

8 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Iv zero tolerance for drink driving. He knew what he was doing 

All about you then....?

Most rational people might view it differently.  Also couldn't see Employment Law upholding your position. 

6 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

I'm not disagreeing with you per se, but what was your take on Swankie?

Or Sheerin

1 hour ago, JobbieSandwich said:

The board have a clear preferred candidate.

It is not Stewart Petrie.

As long as it isn’t Yogi or Dodds

33 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

Was Swankie drink driving? 
I’ve no time for it either. Nobody should get behind a wheel after having a drink 

Not condoning it, but should you take a significant punishment then lose your job.

11 hours ago, DUAFC said:

Not condoning it, but should you take a significant punishment then lose your job.

Not sure what the lad does for a job, but he wont lose his job as a footballer, even if we were to punt him, he would get picked up almost straight away.

There is all sorts of opinions on the drink driving thing and everyone has their own take and I can’t say I disagree with either end of the scale - however I’d tend to verge on the side of trying to help the guy out - he will most definitely be punished away from the football side of things. Sheerin and Swankie treated like hero’s here so…. 

It also happened in May though - he’d still be here if he never fell out with Dick down in Dumfries 

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

There is all sorts of opinions on the drink driving thing and everyone has their own take and I can’t say I disagree with either end of the scale - however I’d tend to verge on the side of trying to help the guy out - he will most definitely be punished away from the football side of things. Sheerin and Swankie treated like hero’s here so…. 

It also happened in May though - he’d still be here if he never fell out with Dick down in Dumfries 

The laddie’s made a serious mistake and been punished by the courts. I would hope he now gets the right counselling and support to get back on track.

Very quiet on the rumour mill regarding a new manager - any news on who might have applied or been approached ?

Arbroath keeping it quiet is the correct way to move forward - but we all like a good rumour which has some foundation.

I am thinking the club won't approach Montrose about Petrie as they are looking at an other option(s) - but I have not heard anything.

It's possible the club might bring in a trouble shooter to sort out things and steady the ship until the end of the season - the main remit being to stay in the Championship - if we go down that route, I would expect an older, experienced manager to arrive at Gayfield soon.

Time will tell.

5 minutes ago, clashcityrocker said:

Very quiet on the rumour mill regarding a new manager - any news on who might have applied or been approached ?

Arbroath keeping it quiet is the correct way to move forward - but we all like a good rumour which has some foundation.

I am thinking the club won't approach Montrose about Petrie as they are looking at an other option(s) - but I have not heard anything.

It's possible the club might bring in a trouble shooter to sort out things and steady the ship until the end of the season - the main remit being to stay in the Championship - if we go down that route, I would expect an older, experienced manager to arrive at Gayfield soon.

Time will tell.

Seen a Montrose fan say we might be looking at doing this but I’m not sure that would be a good idea at all - how could anyone possibly get themselves invested enough to do their best for us if they know they’re being emptied at the end of the year and it also puts the players in a funny position. 

Appoint someone that we hope will do well and someone that we hope to have here for the long term 

Just because someone has no experience as a manager does not necessarily mean they won’t do well either - Tony Docherty looks like he’s made Dundee a top 6 contender or at the very least a team that shouldn’t be troubling the relegation spots - a level they’ve not been at in a long time. 

A good guy with good contacts that everyone can rally behind is all that I ask and hope for 

Personally don’t see the point in an interim until the end of season as January window coming up and there will be ins and outs. Interim might have totally different style/ philosophy to the future longer term manager. 

rather just see us go for our target with the plan to stay in the league but if we do get relegated then they can start the rebuild straight away. 

I’ve heard that there’s a preferred candidate and it’s not SP. I guess all will become clear in the next 48 hours. I believe the chairman is away again soon so presumably an announcement shortly.

I would prefer a known face from Scottish football who would have good contacts to bring in the sort of player that clearly lack in some positions. A Xmas strengthening could save our season.

11 minutes ago, timlichtie said:

I’ve heard that there’s a preferred candidate and it’s not SP. I guess all will become clear in the next 48 hours. I believe the chairman is away again soon so presumably an announcement shortly.

I would prefer a known face from Scottish football who would have good contacts to bring in the sort of player that clearly lack in some positions. A Xmas strengthening could save our season.

Agree - also I know we’ve been absolutely rotten for most of the season but there is good players in the squad right now - good enough to be able to get some results before January anyway. 

I feel like my comments the other day are the thing that is bugging me the most - we have so many players who are similar - choking for a big physical centre mid, some defensive cover and another 1 or 2 different options going forward.

Hylton and McKenna aside, McKenna who doesn’t even do it overly often, we never have any midfield runners getting in behind and stretching other teams. Our right side is always so conservative too. 

Hoping for a wee shake up - feel like DC teams have always been so reliant on how well the striker plays or how well our main man Bobby Linn played. The whole team done a job but to win games we always feel so overly reliant on one player. 

2 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Agree - also I know we’ve been absolutely rotten for most of the season but there is good players in the squad right now - good enough to be able to get some results before January anyway. 

I feel like my comments the other day are the thing that is bugging me the most - we have so many players who are similar - choking for a big physical centre mid, some defensive cover and another 1 or 2 different options going forward.

Hylton and McKenna aside, McKenna who doesn’t even do it overly often, we never have any midfield runners getting in behind and stretching other teams. Our right side is always so conservative too. 

Hoping for a wee shake up - feel like DC teams have always been so reliant on how well the striker plays or how well our main man Bobby Linn played. The whole team done a job but to win games we always feel so overly reliant on one player. 

But what we don’t need is to spend a bogie load of cash in January, bringing in and getting rid of players, it pretty obvious where we have an aching need, DM, CB,( sorry Ricky, club legend) a left sided player , (can’t see Hylton staying if we’re struggling), still be relegated  and be stuck with these contracts in league 1, where I believe it would be easier to rebuild