The Arbroath Thread

8 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Everything I've heard about hughes is he is absolutely not a good guy, complete bully toward players and anyone he considers his lesser.  He hides behind his joker character but he's not the positive character he loves to try portray.  

Watched his body language at Gayfield when he was Pars manager,  devoid of  any motivation or inspiration.  Sat with his head in his hands and added nothing. 

Not for me thanks  !!

7 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Always stuck up for John Hughes on here - think he’s a good lad who has done some great things as a manager and I find him funny - however if things started to go wrong under him, like they have elsewhere, then it does seem to end up becoming a crazy shitshow due to his character and that’s the fear.

Good guy and lad and done some good things as a gaffer, could maybe be good who knows… but the down side of it not working seems like such a massive risk to take.

Heard a few stories from his time at Dunfermline that would say his funny guy persona doesn't quite match how he is ad a gaffer, not a great guy by some accounts. 

11 hours ago, clashcityrocker said:

I spoke to Bobby Linn a few months ago and he is keen to get his coaching badges and said that eventually he would like to manage Arbroath - this opportunity has come too soon for him, but further down the road I could easily see him back at Gayfield.

This would be amazing. David Gold gaffer and Bobby assistant. 😂

I have heard a name - someone who’s managed a big club in Scotland (didn’t do overly well at it mind you), is a young guy, someone that comes across to me as a good guy too and someone I could imagine would have very good contacts.

Would be all for it if it happened. 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

53 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I have heard a name - someone who’s managed a big club in Scotland (didn’t do overly well at it mind you), is a young guy, someone that comes across to me as a good guy too and someone I could imagine would have very good contacts.

Sounds like the name Iv heard 4 times in the last 24 hours 

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

That description absolutely stinks of Ian Cathro

13 hours ago, DUAFC said:

John Hughes gtf.

Kennedy worth consideration 

No Yogi, Dodds, MacIntyre

8 minutes ago, Aidan said:

That description absolutely stinks of Ian Cathro

no sure about him

There are definitely some exciting names being rumoured. My concern would be matching the expectations of a young, high profile manager with the level of signings that would necessary. On balance I would definitely prefer that to the journeyman approach with Hughes or similar.

Heard no rumours, but here is a list of some Scottish managers without a club - Liam Fox, Tam Courts, Graham Alexander, Callum Davidson, Steve Hammell, Steve MacLean, Jim McIntyre, John Hughes, Jack Ross, Robbie Neilson ..........................

It's highly possible a few of them would have applied ( others will want a bigger full time club).

Throw in a few wild cards and we could have an announcement soon.

Some interesting names being suggested so far - some who will definitely have applied, also no doubt some unexpected left-field applicants… but there’s also some absolutely wild shouts.

I take it that’s the Graham Alexander who manages Bradford City? Calum Davidson who turned down Dundee? Steve Hammell head of Celtic’s Academy? Robbie Neilson head coach of Tampa Bay Rowdies? Jack Ross - no chance.

Just because they’re out of the public eye or out of the game in Scotland doesn’t mean they’re sitting twiddling their thumbs waiting for the call from Mike Caird..