The Arbroath Thread

2 hours ago, Smokerson said:

yeah Josh Campbell a very poor example, he didnt do anything at all during his time with us to think he would go on to do as well as he has. Whether he was playing in the right position or not.

I think all this gets totally over thought and over played, like most clubs we have had around a 50% success rate with loans, some work out, some don't. Mangers cant win, if we have 4 or 5 loans playing, everyone moans that "they are not our players" and then this season the moan is "why dont we have any fucking loans"

Need to get the balance right, lets hope mcintyre does this in Jan.

Josh Campbell is a bad example why? Because it doesnt suit your opinion?

He didnt do anything, as he wasnt given a chance to do so, do you think loan players are picked like some kind of pick n mix? One might be good and one might be rotten.

Id make the assumption Hibs know Josh well, they know his strengths and weaknesses, and this is then given to DC or any other manager, and they can agree whether they are a good fit for the team and style of play etc, DC was clearly just taking bodies, not giving a shit about their skills or trying to get the best out of them, and leaves them on a bench. There is a reason DC is now jobless, he struggles to get the best oout of his players and team, he got fired for it, so the proofs in the pudding.

Noone can be sat on a bench for 8 weeks at a time, then thrown in because of injuries and expect to be a one hit wonder.

But lets agree to your narative, Josh is a poor example ok

Your not telling me, of all the players we have had over DC's time in charge who havent performed are bad players?

Scott Allan ( clearly doesnt suit DC's tactics )

Neymars stunt double, didntt suit it

Bobby Linn didnt fit in

Seems that creative players dont fit in, and i think its quite clear that DC wouldnt change to utilise a lot of these people, he wanted to stick by the hoofball tactic and struggled.

And to add to the mix players from the 9th tier on trial and handing out contracts, didnt work well either between that, and leaving anyone with any creativity on your bench, it was never a recipe for success. 

4 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Well they might have but they all left in January when Hartley come in…. 😂 only big McClelland was in the squad when we drew 1-1 away to them at the end of the season and he was on the bench. 

There absolutely will be loans to be had that would be good players for the squad right now - saying there are no loans to be had from Scottish Premiership teams any more when there are 16 of them, a full team and subs bench, in other Championship squads doesn’t make any sense

It is definitely harder you are right but I think for all the reasons given Premiership clubs didn’t really like sending their players here - hopefully with McIntyre it will be a fresh starter 

We shipped McClleland back to Hibs in January. He was terrible for us sadly, completely out of his depth and is looking fairly similar in L1 for QoS.

McIntyre has connections and i'd be amazed if he doesn't lean on Killie. One or more of big Innes, Sanders or even Stephen Warnock or Bobby Wales could be inbound. 

I hope Jack comes back to us. Did my bit talking to him on Wednesday night at Pittodrie!

1 hour ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

We shipped McClleland back to Hibs in January. He was terrible for us sadly, completely out of his depth and is looking fairly similar in L1 for QoS.

McIntyre has connections and i'd be amazed if he doesn't lean on Killie. One or more of big Innes, Sanders or even Stephen Warnock or Bobby Wales could be inbound. 

I hope Jack comes back to us. Did my bit talking to him on Wednesday night at Pittodrie!

McClelland fell away big time I’m sure he actually featured for Hibs a bit either in pre season or start of the season and he looked like he could be a player and they’d keep him around but it’s really not worked out. Him and big Sanders had a very easy day that day though. Sanders would be great with how we’ve been at the back. 

I think his contract is out at the end of the season but wouldn’t surprise me to see him move to another Scottish Prem team he’s quite unlucky with the quality Killie have at the back. 

I genuinely am not overly arsed but I would like to see us use that loan system better than we’ve done last season and this season. Don’t have to be game changing players or guys to hang your hat on but they can be very handy as squad players.

Charlie Reilly from Dens and Tony Doc also something I’m hopeful for in January

Edited by 1320Lichtie

6 hours ago, ExiledLichtie said:

It brings to mind Olusanya.  After watching him throw himself to the ground every time he felt a breath of wind, I am stunned that he's actually playing in the premier league for St. Mirren.  We never saw anything at all like that from him!

Actually totally forgot all about him because he was that rubbish for us. Appears to do a job for st Mirren this season. 

11 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Well they might have but they all left in January when Hartley come in…. 😂 only big McClelland was in the squad when we drew 1-1 away to them at the end of the season and he was on the bench. 

There absolutely will be loans to be had that would be good players for the squad right now - saying there are no loans to be had from Scottish Premiership teams any more when there are 16 of them, a full team and subs bench, in other Championship squads doesn’t make any sense

It is definitely harder you are right but I think for all the reasons given Premiership clubs didn’t really like sending their players here - hopefully with McIntyre it will be a fresh starter 

Agree, that probably will be suitable loans available in January, that we’re not available at the start of the season, players on expiring contracts, with no future at their current clubs

14 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Neil Simpson said at a Q&A early this year that they don’t send players on loan to Arbroath as they like to have players at teams who play in on the deck and not have the balls going over their heads.

unsure if this will change now Campbell is away. 

I see McIntyre was droning on at half time at the Raith game about how part time clubs have to ‘heavily rely’ on the loan market.

To me that’s just lazy management. Yes use it but surely you should be heavily relying on investing time and resources in talent who will go on to play for several season, who kids will want to put on the back of their shirt etc etc. 

Of course I’m not his biggest fan.

12 hours ago, Watson Nimrod said:

I see McIntyre was droning on at half time at the Raith game about how part time clubs have to ‘heavily rely’ on the loan market.

To me that’s just lazy management. Yes use it but surely you should be heavily relying on investing time and resources in talent who will go on to play for several season, who kids will want to put on the back of their shirt etc etc. 

Of course I’m not his biggest fan.

No he never said that part time teams ‘heavily rely’ on the loan market you just made that up. 

He said the loan market is really important and it is important to utilise it properly - which is true 

It is still on Sportscene on the BBC iPlayer if you want to watch it again 

ETA - it’s also as clear as day that he was asked a question about the loan market and that was his response 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

Unfortunately today went as I expected since McIntyre's appointment. He's a manager who plays 4-4-2 with wingers fairly religiously, and as I've argued over the past few years we absolutely do not have the players to play that way. Until he gets his own players in, if he plays a 4-4-2 for the rest of this month we're gonna get absolutely demolished in the midfield against any other team in the division.

In the mid-long term I've no issue with us playing with that as our shape, but we cannot do so until we've got several players in to cover key positions. I like both Gold and Slater, but they're not a midfield two at this level, and with most teams playing 3 in the centre of the park they're onto a hiding to nothing before the game starts. With the squad we have currently, I'd look to play the next 4 games with a fairly defensive 4-5-1 with another body in alongside Gold and Slater until at least January when we can make proper changes.

6 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

No he never said that part time teams ‘heavily rely’ on the loan market you just made that up. 

He said the loan market is really important and it is important to utilise it properly - which is true 

It is still on Sportscene on the BBC iPlayer if you want to watch it again 

ETA - it’s also as clear as day that he was asked a question about the loan market and that was his response 

He is still a dud 👍

didn’t mind the look of how we set up but I thought it would of been hylton wide with LM9 up top how it never changed through the game I’ll never know cause it didn’t work. 

don’t think we played the conditions well at all today and I hope to never see slater on corners again delivery's were awful 

26 minutes ago, SmokeyJoe said:

didn’t mind the look of how we set up but I thought it would of been hylton wide with LM9 up top how it never changed through the game I’ll never know cause it didn’t work. 

don’t think we played the conditions well at all today and I hope to never see slater on corners again delivery's were awful 

Totally agree with about Slater and his corners, absolutely pathetic, we had 2 before they scored their second and they were identical and poor, they went up the park had 2 corners which were varied and scored. 

Slater for me is not of Championship level and is poor overall. 

57 minutes ago, SimonLichtie said:

Unfortunately today went as I expected since McIntyre's appointment. He's a manager who plays 4-4-2 with wingers fairly religiously, and as I've argued over the past few years we absolutely do not have the players to play that way. Until he gets his own players in, if he plays a 4-4-2 for the rest of this month we're gonna get absolutely demolished in the midfield against any other team in the division.

In the mid-long term I've no issue with us playing with that as our shape, but we cannot do so until we've got several players in to cover key positions. I like both Gold and Slater, but they're not a midfield two at this level, and with most teams playing 3 in the centre of the park they're onto a hiding to nothing before the game starts. With the squad we have currently, I'd look to play the next 4 games with a fairly defensive 4-5-1 with another body in alongside Gold and Slater until at least January when we can make proper changes.

Central midfield is woefully inadequate 

35 minutes ago, SmokeyJoe said:

corners needed to be fizzed in

18 minutes ago, Housecaptain said:

Totally agree with about Slater and his corners, absolutely pathetic, we had 2 before they scored their second and they were identical and poor, they went up the park had 2 corners which were varied and scored. 

Slater for me is not of Championship level and is poor overall. 

Slaters a good player I think one of our better ones today aswell but his set pieces let him down massively 

For me that was an ideal introduction for Jim McIntyre. A result today would have papered over the cracks. He now needs to focus on the major surgery required to the squad. If Ricky is out along with Mikey and ToB is due a suspension then we’re totally up against it. Only a serious injection of quality to defence and midfield will save our season.