The Arbroath Thread

8 minutes ago, Passionate said:

We will give you the 32 pence back next to time you visit  Airdrie if you want..

What I remember about that season was you were in administration, and some absolute shyster (I forget his name) put together a ludicrously expensive team including Owen Coyle, and proceeded to smash goals aplenty past us, a team who had been forced to upgrade their stand, putting us in a terrible financial position.  But we made the best of it, signing terrible players, and cutting our budget to the bone  for the next 10 years, while Airdrie rattled the buckets, bleated about how they "just wanted a club to support", got us relegated, went bust, bought Clydebank, and bounced back like nothing had ever happened.  20 years later, they're on the Arbroath thread, talking about FFP.

It really, really gets on my wick.  See also Dundee, Dundee, Partick Thistle, Dundee, and assorted others.

Edited to add, if I sound bitter, its because I had to watch a team consisting of Jim Gardner, Stevie Fallon, and Craig Feroz while bucket rattling Airdrie were off winning the Challenge Cup with Owen Coyle.

Edited by ExiledLichtie

1 hour ago, RedLichtie86 said:

I have it on good authourity Dick resigned. Didnt have to pay him or the others a penny.

He just didnt think the board would accept his resignation.

Heard he did the same thing at Forfar, but apparently he never had a contract at Forfar, and only had a contract with us, for the past couple of years

56 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

What I remember about that season was you were in administration, and some absolute shyster (I forget his name) put together a ludicrously expensive team including Owen Coyle, and proceeded to smash goals aplenty past us, a team who had been forced to upgrade their stand, putting us in a terrible financial position.  But we made the best of it, signing terrible players, and cutting our budget to the bone  for the next 10 years, while Airdrie rattled the buckets, bleated about how they "just wanted a club to support", got us relegated, went bust, bought Clydebank, and bounced back like nothing had ever happened.  20 years later, they're on the Arbroath thread, talking about FFP.

It really, really gets on my wick.  See also Dundee, Dundee, Partick Thistle, Dundee, and assorted others.

Edited to add, if I sound bitter, its because I had to watch a team consisting of Jim Gardner, Stevie Fallon, and Craig Feroz while bucket rattling Airdrie were off winning the Challenge Cup with Owen Coyle.

Answering your post( respectfully hopefully). I can understand your frustration been there myself your club is on its arse, and you watch teams spend money like a drunken sailor and signings decent on paper players at will,

Going back to our dark days we were in Provisional Liquidation not administration ( don't know the difference really TBH) basically we were fucked, We had a few CHANCERS Archibald being the biggest liar since pinnochio and for some reason the liquidator KPMG liked another wrong un who was linked to Dumbarton, as you say we got a stay of execution and somehow survived that season, yes we did have Owen Coyle  from Ross County, he wqs over 30 and considered to be 'shot' in footballing terms,  the rest of that team had some decent names but absolutely done Eddie May, Derek McWilliams, Fraser Wishart,  Landry Zahani oni,Scott Bannerman, we stayed up somehow,  and the following season we picked up some decent players Ian McCall was in his pomp back then,  picking up Mark Roberts in the exit trials, Alan Ferguson keeper thrown on the scrapheap (knees were done though) Craig McPherson freed by Morton , big Kevin James, Stuart Taylor, Lee Gardner , Colin and Stuart McDonald a 16 man squad that punches way above it's weight, it was thrown together not carefully crafted with a warchest..  

It has taken us a long time to get back to the championship, do we belong here time will tell,  

One thing I will pull you up on Craig Feroz "The Bulll" he was a great striker for my local junior team Rob Roy back a few years back.

Going back to the goalkeeping situation i felt Ali Adams deserved his chance, he kept a clean sheet and played very well against Ayr Utd in the Gayfield game, nothing against young Boruc but Ali has bide his time and deserved a run of games imo.

Also great to see a new goalkeeping coach in Stuart Garden who is very experienced.

C'Mon the Red Lichties - 36-0. 

10 hours ago, ExiledLichtie said:

I don’t think we ever really overspent on wages. It’s not like we have enjoyed huge success over the years. What killed is was the stupid requirement for a 10k seater stadium for the premier league. Obviously we thought we might need it so jumped in and, ultimately, that led to our downfall. 

Not entirely sure about this Always Arbroath scheme.

More cash out of fans pockets to fund this and future transfer budgets in order to try an compete with the Full Time teams for players. Ideally staying in the Championship is the aim but its not the be all and end all. Dropping back down to L1 will not be a disaster. 

Are we losing sight of the fact we are a Part Time team and there is a reason why we dont compete for FT players? Surely focusing on the best PT players is the best approach. After all how many players in our team over the years have started off at the bottom and have progressed to be as good or as close to some of these FT players?  ToB, Mckenna, Gold, Little, etc. Got to be more PT players out there that are more than capable of stepping up to the Championship.

To join Always Arbroath its a minimum of £120 with some eye watering sums if you want to contribute more.

The perks on offer are laughable if you joined with the minimum amount.

A scarf by the end of the first year. Over 2 for a brick. Over 4 years for a shirt and well over 6 for Hospitality. Over 8 years for a Boardroom visit.

Surely other perks could have been offered that are more attainable in the short term. Hell even a free cup ticket each year (for League Cup groups), some free pies each per year or exclusive offers on merchandise would make it look like it was aimed at the everyday fan.

I have no doubt folk will sign up for this. But on the face of it, it doesnt look all that appealing to me.

Edited by RedLichtie86

14 minutes ago, RedLichtie86 said:

More cash out of fans pockets to fund this and future transfer budgets in order to try an compete with the Full Time teams for players. Ideally staying in the Championship is the aim but its not the be all and end all. Dropping back down to L1 will not be a disaster. 

Are we losing sight of the fact we are a Part Time team and there is a reason why we dont compete for FT players? Surely focusing on the best PT players is the best approach. After all how many players in our team over the years have started off at the bottom and have progressed to be as good or as close to some of these FT players?  ToB, Mckenna, Gold, Little, etc. Got to be more PT players out there that are more than capable of stepping up to the Championship.

To join Always Arbroath its a minimum of £120 with some eye watering sums if you want to contribute more.

A scarf by the end of the first year. Over 2 for a brick. Over 4 years for a shirt and well over 6 for Hospitality. Over 8 years for a Boardroom visit.

Surely other perks could have been offered that are more attainable in the short term. Hell even a free cup ticket each year (for League Cup groups), some free pies each per year or exclusive offers on merchandise would make it look like it was aimed at the everyday fan.

I have no doubt folk will sign up for this. But on the face of it, it doesnt look all that appealing to me.

I’ve not even seen this advertised - just noticed it is from 3 days ago too 

2 hours ago, AFC360PUNK1320 said:

Going back to the goalkeeping situation i felt Ali Adams deserved his chance, he kept a clean sheet and played very well against Ayr Utd in the Gayfield game, nothing against young Boruc but Ali has bide his time and deserved a run of games imo.

Also great to see a new goalkeeping coach in Stuart Garden who is very experienced.

C'Mon the Red Lichties - 36-0. 

I think we all agree that Ali has been shown great attitude and done everything asked of him. I can’t imagine, however, that Hibs would loan us Boruc for him to warm the bench. They expect him to get game time. He’s looked pretty useful so far.

18 minutes ago, RedLichtie86 said:

Not seen anything about this 

Great idea IMO.  I want The Caley to do that too but Scot Gardiner is a fucking moron bastard and keeps saying no when fans suggest it.

I’ll be doing the tenner a month thing - completely optional too so don’t see how there can be complaints 

I’d see it as something similar to the other small subscription things I pay monthly (PlayStation / Spotify / Patreon / Netflix etc) and I’d probably rather help out Arbroath than any of the above - even if the actual benefits on the face of it are pretty minimal 

Even if there is only 300 people that take it up at the lowest option it’s still an extra £36k a year toward the playing budget - which is a decent enough chunk

My issue is there always asking for money from the loyal support. Lottery, bricks, last months raffle thing, 3 new kits a year and now this. I think overall our support is incredibly loyal to the club and back that up with their hard earned cash. Go get extra money out of sponsors instead of the supporter. 

Still hope we can bring in another striker before window shuts next Wednesday.Still think we need another goal threat even with everyone fit. probably another centre half aswell With Steele out and Ricky not back till near end of season,and Tam in and out,plus Hammy playing with a broken toe.

38 minutes ago, WHM said:

Still hope we can bring in another striker before window shuts next Wednesday.Still think we need another goal threat even with everyone fit. probably another centre half aswell With Steele out and Ricky not back till near end of season,and Tam in and out,plus Hammy playing with a broken toe.

I would say more of a winger with McIntosh / Bird and Robinson all uptop 

Definitely need a centre half though - really hope Delaney makes it back tomorrow 

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

really hope Delaney makes it back tomorrow 

Jim said in his piece in the Courier that we would definitely not have anybody back for Saturday. We will be totally running on empty.

8 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

So if Lyon and Murray are missing after going off on Tuesday we will have a squad of 13 with 2 of them being goalies 

Anyone fancy a game? Sign a few fans up as players as part of the membership scheme.