The Arbroath Thread

8 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Aye your keeper kept the score down. I thought Arbroath were very poor. Hardly any football played by you. Would think that is you guys down

We’ve been down for a long time - what is more concerning is the atmosphere around the place - I suppose it already felt like that with Dick and it’s hard to come in and change that mid season especially in a tough division and with all the injuries we have had to content with but I don’t think last night could’ve really gone worse 

Bigger picture - we need someone everyone can rally behind (including the players like Mikey who are important to us) and after that shambles last night it cannot be McIntyre

L1 will be a big step down and we should be able to regroup and do reasonably well if someone like the above comes in and everyone is behind him 

I must admit, I really thought McIntyre would have done better. He clearly no longer has what it takes in the modern game. Sir Alex recognised that and hung up his tracksuit, or perhaps he seen himself in said tracksuit and decided it was time? 

39 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

We’ve been down for a long time - what is more concerning is the atmosphere around the place - I suppose it already felt like that with Dick and it’s hard to come in and change that mid season especially in a tough division and with all the injuries we have had to content with but I don’t think last night could’ve really gone worse 

Bigger picture - we need someone everyone can rally behind (including the players like Mikey who are important to us) and after that shambles last night it cannot be McIntyre

L1 will be a big step down and we should be able to regroup and do reasonably well if someone like the above comes in and everyone is behind him 

18 month contract was he it he signed? Heard he is on a very good wage too, do you have the money to let him go?

1 minute ago, mo83 said:

18 month contract was he it he signed? Heard he is on a very good wage too, do you have the money to let him go?

Got enough to bin him and come take petrie without even making a dent in the account 😉

Just now, lichtiekev said:

Got enough to bin him and come take petrie without even making a dent in the account 😉

Mmmm I smell 💩.

And we all know the chances of that happening are a big fat 0%.Why go from a well run club at the moment to a circus it doesn't make sense.

Big Jim on 18 month contract and on  a bigger wage than Dick was....Let's see what your board is made off 😉

8 minutes ago, Wacky said:

I must admit, I really thought McIntyre would have done better. He clearly no longer has what it takes in the modern game. Sir Alex recognised that and hung up his tracksuit, or perhaps he seen himself in said tracksuit and decided it was time? 

Has he ever had what it takes? Dunfermline and Ross County the only two jobs he's achieved anything and he had plenty cash to play with. He's been absolutely shite and lasted a year or less everywhere else he's been. It was a honking appointment.

I’ll be sorry to see Arbroath go down. I think having a part-time team in the league is an interesting dynamic and Gayfield (and the steak and black pudding pies) will be a real miss to the league.

All of this is probably quite obvious to the fans who watch Arbroath every week but I was amazed at how gutless and ineffective they were last night. Other than a penalty and a deflected free-kick I don’t think I ever felt like Arbroath were going to score. Even in the 5-2 game recently I thought Arbroath looked quite handy in the opening 20 minutes until Charlie Reilly went off and while Airdrie ran over the top of them after that, Arbroath did keep fighting. Last nights performance was so weak though, even when they finally conceded I don’t think Arbroath ever had a minute or two spell in possession hemming Airdrie into their own half. That’s before you even start on the antics around the penalty taker.

With the right manager there’s probably still enough left in a core of Little, Gold, McKenna etc to form the basis of a competitive League One side. The concern is obviously who is going to be in charge and whether any of the old guard defect to East Fife.

Edited by Mr November

44 minutes ago, mo83 said:

If that’s the case? Then you never know what could happen, going backwards to come forward is sometimes a good thing. Maybe when he builds his own team from the ground up they could both evolve into a stronger Arbroath? 

5 minutes ago, Wacky said:

If that’s the case? Then you never know what could happen, going backwards to come forward is sometimes a good thing. Maybe when he builds his own team from the ground up they could both evolve into a stronger Arbroath? 

Anything can happen in football I'm well aware of that but McIntyre getting punted and SP coming in won't happen....In my opinion 😉

1 hour ago, mo83 said:

@ecto mentioned that it would only be two months wages we would have to pay if we got rid. Either way it’s not really important is it? If we want to get rid of him we obviously could. 

1 hour ago, lichtiekev said:

Mckenna 100% shouldn't of got involved on socials but at least it shows he still cares,

The players arguing on the pitch is embarrassing but I'd say everyone in the ground apart from McIntosh and McIntrye knew McKenna should of took the penalty, 

I was already wanting a change for next season but last night sealed it, 

How he thought to start with pretty much the same team that was so bad on Saturday is beyond me, then in the 2nd half playing with nobody on the left, you could see the players asking what was going on, 

Then his Interview after the game, no personality, there's just something not right and there is absolutely no connection between him and the fans, 

In regards McKenna he obviously wrote stuff "in the heat of the moment" which EVERYBODY has done but at least it shows you he CARES about the Red Lichties and was very frustrated and i will tell you between McKenna, McIntyre and McIntosh i know which one i would still want at the club next season and that is Mickey.

On the subject of the penalty EVERYBODY in the ground last night apart from 2 folk knew it should have been taken by McKenna ffs this surely was discussed at training or before the game and McIntyre's post match interview was a joke.

I really was hoping he was the Manager to save us after been left a mess by DC but he has signed double figures new players (which of 99% of them i would not keep) and apart from 2 or 3 games it has been dreadful and he shows no motivation.

My fear is we are going to lose the core of our team in Gaston, Ricky, McKenna, Goldie and Stewart if we keep McIntyre and i am also now in the camp of speaking to the senior players to see if they would stay if we put someone like Goldie (who must have the specific football badges) in charge with the likes of bringing on board Craigen, Swanks, Keith Gibson and even Bobby back in some capacities just to boost the fans and get the feelgood factor back to Gayfield.

Goldie must have loads of connections through his Coaching Schools so would surely know experienced folk he could bring on board who he trusts, as someone else has previously said it has worked with Airdrie, Peterhead and Spartans and with us in the past with the great man John McGlashan (RIP) who had only brief experience Managing The Violet and Tayport so i think the AFC Board should seriously think about this as i think if we stick with McIntyre we will lose a lot of players who care for our club plus a lot of the "newer" fans who have bought season tickets over the last 5/6 seasons.

LOVE MY CLUB AND LOVE BEING A RED LICHTIE 36-0.     

I found the Facebook comments in question, looks like McKenna deleted some of them.  As said last night, absolutely indefensible, but also a sign that the manager is presiding over a shambles.  If the manager was properly in control of the team, we'd never see McKenna in a maroon shirt again.

However, if it comes down to backing the players vs backing the manager, and that's what it should come down to, in this case, McIntyre has absolutely no credit in the bank.  His position is surely untenable.  I was previously of the view that the results this season and our inevitable relegation were not necessarily a reflection on McIntyre's ability, but wanted a fresh face in for next season, but some of the absolutely shambolic events of the last few weeks have changed my view.  

Sure, we might be running effectively with half a defense, and we might be basing that defence on a Ricky Little who's legs have long since gone, and sure, half our midfield is still rusty as hell and trying to get back up to fitness, all that is allowable.  All I ask is that we look organised, like there's a plan there, and there just isn't.  We looked organised at the start of his tenure, and even through the injury crisis, but in recent weeks, it has got worse and worse.  

Sadly, it hasn't worked.

18 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

@ecto mentioned that it would only be two months wages we would have to pay if we got rid. Either way it’s not really important is it? If we want to get rid of him we obviously could. 

Na no really hope he stays to be honest!

Seeing the number of shouts to sack McIntyre and offer him it, has Gold ever expressed any interest in becoming a manager? I know he's got his A Licence and runs his own academy but maybe that means he wants his focus to be youth coaching rather than first team management? If management is actually something he wants to do and feels the time is right then fair enough, but it feels like a club heading for relegation who've already gone through two managers in a season going down the route of "just ask one of the more experienced players who has their badges if they fancy it" can be the start of a spiral where they're out of ideas of what kind of manager they want and are just taking a shot in the dark.

19 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Seeing the number of shouts to sack McIntyre and offer him it, has Gold ever expressed any interest in becoming a manager? I know he's got his A Licence and runs his own academy but maybe that means he wants his focus to be youth coaching rather than first team management? If management is actually something he wants to do and feels the time is right then fair enough, but it feels like a club heading for relegation who've already gone through two managers in a season going down the route of "just ask one of the more experienced players who has their badges if they fancy it" can be the start of a spiral where they're out of ideas of what kind of manager they want and are just taking a shot in the dark.

I am not sure. I would agree that that’s kind of exactly what it is like, however I do feel like now, after the shambles that was last night that the players are absolutely not having McIntyre and if he stays there is zero chance of important players being here next season that probably still want to be here if things were different.

Gaston / McKenna / Stewart for example. For next year there is a decent enough core of guys signed. that if built upon with the likes of the above, should be at minimum pretty comfortable enough to have a decent season in League 1.

I really do not think being a manager in the lower leagues of Scottish Football requires too much for a manager to be successful, don’t think it’s Pep level of tactics but being a likeable c**t that players want to play for goes a very long way. Maybe it’s kind of like that with Imrie? If someone like Gold got a shot at it he absolutely ticks all the boxes for that. The guys a diamond that is so important to have around the place. Would also imagine a player / manager wage would be very good… that incentive would definitely be a factor.

I think all that it will take to be a reasonable success here next year is to be a likeable guy that everyone can get behind - the league is much poorer and more forgiving than this one - the budget will be there and right up there if not the best in comparison to other PT teams and he will know plenty of players himself he’d maybe like to get on board - whether he wants to try it I do not know and whether it’s even a long term solution or not is another question. 

I think every single Arbroath fan would happily take 5th next season and just a reasonably enjoyable season where there are good people at the club that fans can get behind.

I couldn’t stand Dick by the end in hindsight, the guy had been a walloper for a solid year by the time he left but the guy was still a hero. That stuff happening last nights really left a sour taste in the mouth, the feeling of negativity around the place as big as it’s been but that feelings kind of been in and around the place for a solid 18 months now.

All I would like and what I would judge as a success is a relatively decent season to try get back on track.

Edited by 1320Lichtie

Normally I am not in favour of chopping and changing managers as it creates unstability at a club, but the decisions by JMac in team selection and tactics are indefensible. His after match talk was as much gibberish as some of the stuff DC used to spout, but at least DC had passion and positivity about him. As said above we could lose a huge chunk of the best bits of our squad if the board persevere with McIntyre. Still think we were not ambitious enough when appointing successor to DC as a manager with better contacts could have brought in some real quality loanees instead of the run of the mill guys we got. We are all but down now and the board needs to look at if JMac is the man to get us back, I fear not.

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Has he ever had what it takes? Dunfermline and Ross County the only two jobs he's achieved anything and he had plenty cash to play with. He's been absolutely shite and lasted a year or less everywhere else he's been. It was a honking appointment.

Exactly this , he’s been awful at every club since Ross co which he just got lucky with , I actually couldn’t believe he could replace McCanns dudes with even worse loan dudes that really couldn’t give a 💩 as long as they were getting paid , he totally destroyed that Dundee team which has taking till this season to turn around , , and I thought would be his last job , but he shat all over Cove as well , and now he’s shat all over my second team , I really hope he just goes back to being a PT to all the old grannies again after tonight , and Arbroath appoint a proper manager and bounce straight back up again