The Arbroath Thread

Be a good chance for Arbroath to come straight back up next season. Assuming the other championship team wins the play off then there is no real favourite looking at the league for next season

1 hour ago, lichtiemike said:

Think Campbell needs a mention just now, outstayed his welcome and we’ve paid the price for that. 

This may be true but also we couldn't have guaranteed we could keep punching above our weight with a different management in place. The only hope may have been that we played a better brand of football.

11 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Be a good chance for Arbroath to come straight back up next season. Assuming the other championship team wins the play off then there is no real favourite looking at the league for next season

I mean who knows - I really cannot see it because there’s a whole lot of work to be done and things to be figured out.

We just badly need a season to get back on track in some way shape or form. This division is just too tough to try and do that as the only part time side 

3 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I mean who knows - I really cannot see it because there’s a whole lot of work to be done and things to be figured out.

We just badly need a season to get back on track in some way shape or form. This division is just too tough to try and do that as the only part time side 

Aye the reality is for teams like Arbroath that league 1 is almost certainly your level with the potential for the odd run to league above as you have done. Has allowed you to get set up off the field so should have no issue witj getting a run at it next season. 

Stil wild to think you were so close to the premiership 

1 hour ago, lichtiemike said:

Think Campbell needs a mention just now, outstayed his welcome and we’ve paid the price for that. 

Seems a bit harsh to be dragging Dick Campbell. He gave you the best season you'll ever see in your entire life supporting Arbroath.  

Part-time teams will always be up against it in this division. About 5 years is usually the upper shelf life for those teams in this division. It's incredibly hard to keep building teams summer after summer to compete with teams with larger budget. Just seems harsh to be getting the pitchforks out. 

Thinking back to last time we were relegated, we had an awful squad of players that were barely even league 2, an absolute bare bones new stand, a crumbling terracing with a limited capacity, and a huge debt.  This time round, it isn't even close.  We have money in the bank, top of the line hospitality, and a fully modernised stadium with new gates, new barriers, better segregation, repaired terracing, refurbished dressing rooms and stand, additional toilets, and a much more professional off the pitch set up.  Oh, and the memories have been amazing!  Beating the Dundee teams on the pitch as equals, seeing 5,000+ people in the ground for league games, watching Nouble cheat code his way through the league, taking Killie all the way, seeing us absolutely shitfest teams with some truly epic timewasting, its been brilliant.  This time round, being in the championship has been good for us, and I don't think that was necessarily the case last time.  I think this is what makes us different from some of the other part time clubs who have had championship runs.  We invested our money wisely off the pitch.

Yes, some aspects will need to be downsized, sponsorship income will shrink, crowds will fall, but we are in a good place as a club.  I think the key will be to make a fresh start of things in the summer, and to try and look forward to winning some games and scoring some goals in what should be a much more competitive league.  Hopefully our board will be able to look at the things that aren't working (our social media has been poor, and probably building a housing estate in Inverkeilor off of short term lets) and fix them, and hopefully they will pick a good manager.

6 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

Seems a bit harsh to be dragging Dick Campbell. He gave you the best season you'll ever see in your entire life supporting Arbroath.  

Part-time teams will always be up against it in this division. About 5 years is usually the upper shelf life for those teams in this division. It's incredibly hard to keep building teams summer after summer to compete with teams with larger budget. Just seems harsh to be getting the pitchforks out. 

We know

And second paragraph - you just don’t get it man 👍🏻

A pity we're only getting one season in the same division this time, I always enjoy a trip to Arbroath, especially if it's early or late enough in the season to get a nice day for it.  You've had a good run, much better than we've managed in our last few times in this league and had one season of the kind you'll never forget. 

Haste ye back - and I hope we'll be around when you return.

Edited by A Diamond For Me

2 hours ago, TxRover said:

Can’t believe you’ve given up! It’s only a 37 goal difference. If ICT lose 4-0 each of the last four matches and you win 4-0 you’d, er, wait…5-0…er, wait, aw, f**k it…

Nope. Not funny. 

2 hours ago, SimonLichtie said:

We are not mathematically relegated, and there is no chance of Jim McIntyre leaving the club prior to confirmation we're down.

I fully expect he'll leave the club within 48 hours of our relegation being confirmed.

Dont be silly Simon. We are relegated. 

As an aside - I notice in the Stirling 1 Alloa 5 game today that Donnelly was an unused sub for Alloa and Hilson was subbed off for Greg Spence for Albion.

These are guys that have found their level yet Donnelly and Hilson were overly used by Campbell last season and the season before. Simply not good enough for the Championship and barely good enough for L1. Today is the result of 2 years of poor signings and over reliance on sub standard players…. As well as poor managerial decisions of course.

Sad to see you go down in such a manner. See you lads next season.

Some 5 year spell in the Championship, huge achievement in itself and like many have said you're in better shape financially and with all the improvements in and around the ground.

Hopefully, and importantly, we both get rid of our existing managers and get back to some proper recruitment. Without it the stay could be much longer than we wish.

I feel a fairly substantial turnover of players coming for us both. A few aging that might be swayed elsewhere or might be pushed/moved on.

Our first year back in L1 has been truly awful. Falkirk walked it with a side that would match/beat many in tier 2 as they showed against Dundee United, likely won't be that level of side to compete with next season at least.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

1 minute ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Sad to see you go down in such a manner. See you lads next season.

Some 5 year spell in the Championship, huge achievement in itself and like many have said you're in better shape financially and with all the improvements in and around the ground.

Hopefully, and importantly, we both get rid of our existing managers and get back to some proper recruitment. Without it the stay could be much longer than we wish.

I feel a fairly substantial turnover of players coming for us both. A few aging that might be swayed elsewhere or might be pushed/moved on.

Our first year back in L1 has been truly awful. Falkirk walked it with a side that would match/beat many in tier 2 as they showed against Dundee United, likely won't be that level of side to compete with next season at least.

Please please do everything you can do keep these tinky montrose b*****ds down for next season

So...... another one down, only four to go until we can shut the door on this season....

I thought we were relatively good today in terms of our shape, but simply let down by the usual issues.... a lack of quality, a lack of team cohesion and a lack of sharpness. Boruc was excellent in my opinion, his shot stopping is superb but he obviously has huge deficiencies in commanding his box and his kicking at times (although again it was excellent today). McIntyre was entirely correct to drop Mikey, who continued to struggle today as he has done since his return to injury. Hopefully, like so many of our current squad, a good pre season can help him return to former form. A major issue is we really have nothing out wide, with Innes Murray lacking match fitness he can't take a man on properly yet and it means we keep trying to play through the middle and we don't have the pace to get in behind or the ability in midfield to play that killer pass right now.

Leighton's goal was a really good strike after excellent work from Jay Bird, but a side from that we couldn't really put Inverness under any sort of real pressure barring a few balls into the box and a couple of brief spells in control in the middle of the park. A real lack of confidence on top of everything else right now, understandably.

7 minutes ago, glasgowlichtie23 said:

Please please do everything you can do keep these tinky montrose b*****ds down for next season

Sadly they pumped us a few weeks back at Balmoral and are likely favourites to take 4th place although it will be tight and likely go to the wire.

We're a complete riot at the moment, shipping goals so can't say I'm confident. Probably only Accies, maybe Alloa, that can truly stake a genuine claim in the playoffs. I don't see a L1 side going up.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

2 minutes ago, SimonLichtie said:

So...... another one down, only four to go until we can shut the door on this season....

I thought we were relatively good today in terms of our shape, but simply let down by the usual issues.... a lack of quality, a lack of team cohesion and a lack of sharpness. Boruc was excellent in my opinion, his shot stopping is superb but he obviously has huge deficiencies in commanding his box and his kicking at times (although again it was excellent today). McIntyre was entirely correct to drop Mikey, who continued to struggle today as he has done since his return to injury. Hopefully, like so many of our current squad, a good pre season can help him return to former form. A major issue is we really have nothing out wide, with Innes Murray lacking match fitness he can't take a man on properly yet and it means we keep trying to play through the middle and we don't have the pace to get in behind or the ability in midfield to play that killer pass right now.

Leighton's goal was a really good strike after excellent work from Jay Bird, but a side from that we couldn't really put Inverness under any sort of real pressure barring a few balls into the box and a couple of brief spells in control in the middle of the park. A real lack of confidence on top of everything else right now, understandably.

Inness Murray really struggled with the step up in fitness and pace etc. Hard to come in and get that mid season. It is a massive jump in that aspect, hoping he’s like a new player in League 1.