The Arbroath Thread

32 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

On next season - as far as I can tell 

Signed -

ToB - CH - if fit a great player to have here. I feel like he will end up at East Fife with his second Da however.

Aaron Steele - CH - very good player to have 

Gordon Walker - RB - hmmm, think he will probably be decent in L1

Craig Slater - CM - think he will be a good player in L1

David Gold - CM - the one real player who gets it - if ToB leaves then captain material for me

Inness Murray - Midfield - I think if he gets match fit he will be a really good player for us next season

Mark Stowe - Winger - I think in L1 he could really come on and be a decent player for us 

Leighton McIntosh - ST - as good as you could want as striker PT level 

That’s a decent core to build from. Already discussed at length but if Gaston / Little / McKenna / Stewart and Darren Lyon signed on top of that (no idea how many if any will be here) then we would be in a good place squad wise.

ToB contracted until 2028 so highly unlikely he is leaving unless someone stumps up a big fee.

Still not seen anything to say Slater is signed up for next season. At the time of his arrival the club just stated he was signed for the season.

49 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

On next season - as far as I can tell 

Signed -

ToB - CH - if fit a great player to have here. I feel like he will end up at East Fife with his second Da however.

Aaron Steele - CH - very good player to have 

Gordon Walker - RB - hmmm, think he will probably be decent in L1

Craig Slater - CM - think he will be a good player in L1

David Gold - CM - the one real player who gets it - if ToB leaves then captain material for me

Inness Murray - Midfield - I think if he gets match fit he will be a really good player for us next season

Mark Stowe - Winger - I think in L1 he could really come on and be a decent player for us 

Leighton McIntosh - ST - as good as you could want as striker PT level 

That’s a decent core to build from. Already discussed at length but if Gaston / Little / McKenna / Stewart and Darren Lyon signed on top of that (no idea how many if any will be here) then we would be in a good place squad wise.

I don’t think Leighton is a done deal. Options I was told.

He should be an absolute priority for a L1 campaign. Also a striker to replace Jay who will surely be moving on.

57 minutes ago, RedLichtie86 said:

ToB contracted until 2028 so highly unlikely he is leaving unless someone stumps up a big fee.

Still not seen anything to say Slater is signed up for next season. At the time of his arrival the club just stated he was signed for the season.

True - I think Dick / Pink could source a fee and if ToB doesn’t want to be here then unfortunately clubs hands are tied. Would definitely well and truly sour the opinion of him which would be ashame.

Slater - also true however for this kind of deal and the player think it would be strange for it to be a season only. 

39 minutes ago, timlichtie said:

I don’t think Leighton is a done deal. Options I was told.

He should be an absolute priority for a L1 campaign. Also a striker to replace Jay who will surely be moving on.

Interesting - 2 years was stated when he signed. Hopefully he stays around he’s been a solid signing and obviously local to us so imagine he’d want to. 

8 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

If McIntyre stays past this weekend then the board better be prepared for season ticket sales to take a nose dive in the summer. 

Certainly going to be an interesting week after relegation is confirmed on Saturday… 

Unfortunately I can see us losing most or all of our un-contracted players.

Arbroath is a club going in the wrong direction and with a less than positive feel about the place. Plenty of ambitious L1 and even L2 teams that could be an attractive proposition for players looking for a new challenge.

A new manager and clean slate is the only way we can avoid this imo.

Sticking with McIntyre is just delaying the inevitable.

Surely the club can see that McIntyre just hasn't worked on and off the field, There has been nothing that gives a glimmer of hope that will change either,

Things have been a mess on pitch for a while, buy at least when DC was here there was a still a connection odd the field and you got interaction and interviews and so on, now it's a mess on and off the field,  

Would be absolutely ridiculous of we go into a new season like this....

McKenna, Gold, Gaston, ToB, McIntosh, Steele,  That's half of a very decent starting 11

Then if you have the likes of Slater, Dow Murray, Stowe, Delaney and even Walker who would all be more suited to league 1 we would be in a at a good starting point,

However under the current management you would be lucky if any stay. 

I said this before but can anyone, especially the “give him more time” brigade, ever remember a manager - at Arbroath or anywhere else for that matter - go from having an atrocious record to turning things round? I can’t.

Yes, there have been guys who’ve had a less than spectacular start at clubs who have eased into it given time and money to spend on their own players, but I can’t think of anyone who’s ever been backed with a record like his - P20 W2 D5 L13 F18 A47 pts 11 (out of 60)

32 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

I said this before but can anyone, especially the “give him more time” brigade, ever remember a manager - at Arbroath or anywhere else for that matter - go from having an atrocious record to turning things round? I can’t.

Yes, there have been guys who’ve had a less than spectacular start at clubs who have eased into it given time and money to spend on their own players, but I can’t think of anyone who’s ever been backed with a record like his - P20 W2 D5 L13 F18 A47 pts 11 (out of 60)

I know what you mean but just until a couple of weeks ago and about 4 games ago I was all for that - I think the record isn’t really entirely fair because there are massive factors that have contributed to that record being so poor

I was all for giving him more time

I just feel like in recent weeks it seems clear that the fans and more importantly the players just are not having the guy and that for me is a massive worry. If the fans saw the players give their all and look like they were behind the guy it would be more reassuring and in time things could change for the support

When it gets to the stage it’s got to with the support then there’s no real coming back from it and if the players feel the way it looks like they do then you’re in trouble of losing any real identity and connection fans had with the team if all of these guys go

Going into a new season with that feeling around the place is what has scared me a wee bit and made me feel so strongly about having to go ahead and make a change - the above lingering over the club from now until the start of next season which is a long time away is a worrying thought 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

The atmosphere at Gayfield amongst the home support is apathetic at best just now with some parts even being toxic. What’s it going to be like if we start the new season with a loss to a league 2 side in the league cup group stages followed to a thumping away to Aberdeen who don’t need to get out of 2nd gear? 

3 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

The atmosphere at Gayfield amongst the home support is apathetic at best just now with some parts even being toxic. What’s it going to be like if we start the new season with a loss to a league 2 side in the league cup group stages followed to a thumping away to Aberdeen who don’t need to get out of 2nd gear? 

I've absolutely got the fear.  We can't go into the new season with McIntyre, we just can't.  It seems almost like willful self sabotage.  I mentioned a few days back how we went with continuity with Brownlie and Kirk after we got relegated, and it was a disaster.  We just can't do that!

On another note, that's Booner away, new company in:

https://www.arbroathfc.co.uk/peter-clark-and-pac-garden-services-thank-you/

1 minute ago, ExiledLichtie said:

I've absolutely got the fear.  We can't go into the new season with McIntyre, we just can't.  It seems almost like willful self sabotage.  I mentioned a few days back how we went with continuity with Brownlie and Kirk after we got relegated, and it was a disaster.  We just can't do that!

On another note, that's Booner away, new company in:

https://www.arbroathfc.co.uk/peter-clark-and-pac-garden-services-thank-you/

From what I was told he didn’t choose to leave the position. Wording in statement says otherwise 🤨 

all the best to him pitch has been in great nick for seasons considering the pish weather we get 

2 minutes ago, SmokeyJoe said:

From what I was told he didn’t choose to leave the position. Wording in statement says otherwise 🤨 

all the best to him pitch has been in great nick for seasons considering the pish weather we get 

People who don’t want to leave, still choose to leave in the right circumstances. 

Up until a few months or so ago I would have put as down as one of, if not THE best run club in Scotland. Even when we started to struggle on the pitch it still seemed like things were going very well off it.

How times change. A really bad feeling around just now. The board need a big period of introspection in the summer as they are in serious danger of losing a lot of what has been built up over the last few years.

Edited by Tattie36

5 hours ago, Tattie36 said:

P20 W2 D5 L13 F18 A47 pts 11 (out of 60)

In any level of football that is SHOCKING stats.

I agree McIntyre came into a hard job given the way DC left and the injuries but he has had a window to sign players and been backed by the AFC Board (who i think for 90% has done a great job on and off the Gayfield pitch for the last 7/8 years) he has brought in at least 10 new players and i would go as far to say we are in a worse position now than when he took over and there is far more dismay in the Red Lichtie support than at the end of the DC era.

We 100% need a new fresh Manager in to boost the AFC support and to keep our loyal established players and the AFC Board must see that if we do not do this then AFC as a club will lose a lot of finance with a lot of the support not renewing their season tickets (you will always get the older loyal support buying a season ticket every season) but the "newer" AFC fans and younger kids who are used to success plus a Manager they could relate to (i.e. although DC had mistakes he was very charismatic which was good for the fans young and old)  but sadly it is clearly obvious McIntyre is the total opposite with no fan engagement.

For this i would ask Goldie to take charge of the team until the seasons end, i am sure the vast majority of players would be happy with this and the vast majority of the AFC fans including the youngsters who love him as a player and probably been to his coaching classes would as well, if Goldie is interested to take on the job permanent then let him throw his hat in the ring at the end of the season and take it from there, the other thing is if Goldie did get the AFC job i am sure the vast majority of the fans would be happy with consolidation next season (top half of League 1) and he would get a bit of time to find his feet.

I would go as far as to say we need to take a "gamble" even if it cost the club £20-£30k as a "pay-off" for McIntyre as if not we will lose far more than that in season tickets/AFC Corporate and other things that AFC fans fork out for which would be a disaster for the club.    

This is the last i am saying on this subject as i have made my feelings known what i want my club to do (as have loads of other Red Lichtie fans) and i will still support my club through thick and thin regardless who our Manager will be next season but the above is my view on it.

1 hour ago, Tattie36 said:

Up until a few months or so ago I would have put as down as one of, if not THE best run club in Scotland. Even when we started to struggle on the pitch it still seemed like things were going very well off it.

How times change. A really bad feeling around just now. The board need a big period of introspection in the summer as they are in serious danger of losing a lot of what has been built up over the last few years.

Agreed

12 hours ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Its a sad day when I find myself not trusting a word the club says.  

It is sad because these last few years have seen a real connect between the board and the support mostly due to the chairman's approach being very welcoming. There was a distance in the past between the board and fans in the past and it would be a real shame if this happens again. 

Dick Campbell was one of the "old school" managers who would tear strips off players for not doing what they were telt, but he had what can only be described as "bizzaz". Okay he blethered a lot of hot air sometimes but he could get a shift out of ordinary players, that JMac seems unable to do. I expect a resurgent EF under Dick and Pink similar to the bounce we got. If we "bomb" next season, we could see the Fifers in Lg1 and us back in the basement. Worrying times

16 minutes ago, relichtie said:

It is sad because these last few years have seen a real connect between the board and the support mostly due to the chairman's approach being very welcoming. There was a distance in the past between the board and fans in the past and it would be a real shame if this happens again. 

Dick Campbell was one of the "old school" managers who would tear strips off players for not doing what they were telt, but he had what can only be described as "bizzaz". Okay he blethered a lot of hot air sometimes but he could get a shift out of ordinary players, that JMac seems unable to do. I expect a resurgent EF under Dick and Pink similar to the bounce we got. If we "bomb" next season, we could see the Fifers in Lg1 and us back in the basement. Worrying times

To be honest good luck to Dick Campbell but couldn’t really care less about how East Fife are getting on or how he does there. Dick does the same everywhere he goes, suppose the only difference this time is he can’t have many years left at it and the fall will come around quicker than it did here or at Forfar but his time here was well and truly up and I still feel kind of sour about the way it ended.

I have nothing but respect for Pink and Rab and Youngy, Pink one of my favourite people in football but Dick was a bit of a bellend for quite a long period of time, and that stuff about the end of the game at Spartans really annoys me - in time I’ll come to respect him as probably the greatest manager we’ve had in my lifetime but for just now we’ve got to focus on ourselves. AFC and Dick parting ways was best for both parties. 

I cannot see a bomb next season I just think there’s too much about us and our budget should be up there so it would have to be a pretty disastrous season but as has been said a million times on here the last week I really hope we clear all negativity out of the building and have a fresh start going into next season otherwise maybe the disastrous outcome does happen. 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

12 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I mean atleast it is an Arbroath company taking over it - fair play to the guy for doing the job for so long too. Pitch been immaculate at times. 

IMG_3481.jpeg

The pitch always looks great at the start of the season then cuts up a fair bit over the winter months. I don’t think it really recovers last season from the Motherwell game. It took a real battering that game after the covers were lifted.