The Arbroath Thread

45 minutes ago, afc_36_0 said:

When i started reading this i thought it was a nice gesture from the club to give something back to the season ticket holders or something, but no they’re wanting £100 each for a kick about at gayfield

IMG_1845.jpeg

I get the club is trying to increase income but just like Always Arbroath this will go down like a lead balloon. Right idea but poorly timed. 

After 2 season of shite on the pitch and now relegated this was a time to get fans, young and old, into Gayfield for some light hearted entertainment. 

Set the pitch up with a number of 5-aside pitches and get a tournament set up with prizes organised. Have stalls. Have entertainment. Do something free for the fans as a big thank you. 

1 minute ago, RedLichtie86 said:

I get the club is trying to increase income but just like Always Arbroath this will go down like a lead balloon. Right idea but poorly timed. 

After 2 season of shite on the pitch and now relegated this was a time to get fans, young and old, into Gayfield for some light hearted entertainment. 

Set the pitch up with a number of 5-aside pitches and get a tournament set up with prizes organised. Have stalls. Have entertainment. Do something free for the fans as a big thank you. 

It might not be popular with a faction of the support but I’m pretty sure this will be sold out by tonight or tomorrow at the latest. Especially with only 30 spots. 

10 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

What worries me more is that we have Dow, ToB, Gold and Hammy as the managers.  That's yet another sign that Jim McIntyre is going nowhere.

If that means Gold, ToB, Hammy and Dow are signing up for next year it sounds like good news - well maybe not Dow...

4 minutes ago, TheRoundO said:

If that means Gold, ToB, Hammy and Dow are signing up for next year it sounds like good news - well maybe not Dow...

I don’t mind Dow and feel he could be a real asset in league 1 

13 minutes ago, TheRoundO said:

ToB and Goldie already signed

6 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

I don’t mind Dow and feel he could be a real asset in league 1 

I agree, I think he gets a tough time on here because he doesn't get headline goals, but he always plays a much more withdrawn role.  He's more of a midfielder than a winger.  I think he helps provide balance to the midfield.  For example, if we have someone like Stowe on the wing next season, then we need Dow on the other wing for balance reasons.

Just now, ExiledLichtie said:

I agree, I think he gets a tough time on here because he doesn't get headline goals, but he always plays a much more withdrawn role.  He's more of a midfielder than a winger.  I think he helps provide balance to the midfield.  For example, if we have someone like Stowe on the wing next season, then we need Dow on the other wing for balance reasons.

I am still waiting to see Dow actually play on the wing. Far too often you see him drift inside and play as an AM.

48 minutes ago, airdrieoldboy said:

I have a name for you - Calum Gallagher from us, top scorer League 1 last year with 24 goals !

Rumour quite strong in Airdrie on Saturday, we would hate to lose him but, he does need more game time.

What rumour was quite strong - that he’s leaving you or that he’s maybe coming here? 

I would be over the moon with him 

Ryan Dow reminds me of some recent, now departed, "attacking" members of our squad who were favourites of some fans.  1 goal and 4 assists in a season and a half is not an adequate contribution for an attacking player.  We've got defenders who score more than that.  And don't underestimate league 1..

Just now, TheRoundO said:

Ryan Dow reminds me of some recent, now departed, "attacking" members of our squad who were favourites of some fans.  1 goal and 4 assists in a season and a half is not an adequate contribution for an attacking player.  We've got defenders who score more than that.  And don't underestimate league 1..

Nobody is under estimating it but it is absolutely a poorer division - that’s just common sense 

It is, but we have to accept the fact that we start with the remnants of a very poor championship squad.  With ToB and McKenna injured or just poor this season we have no players who will stand out in League 1.  Well, maybe Bird but he'll be off.

17 minutes ago, RedLichtie86 said:

I am still waiting to see Dow actually play on the wing. Far too often you see him drift inside and play as an AM.

Exactly!  That's the role he plays!  Its sensible tactically.  If you have someone on the other wing playing as a pure winger, then when that player pushes forward, its Dow's role to tuck in a bit and keep the balance of the team.  Teams very rarely play 2 wingers.  If you're playing a line up with say, Linn on the wing and McKenna pushing forward, then Dow is not supposed to push forward like them.  Its the same role James Craigan often played for us.

1 minute ago, TheRoundO said:

It is, but we have to accept the fact that we start with the remnants of a very poor championship squad.  With ToB and McKenna injured or just poor this season we have no players who will stand out in League 1.  Well, maybe Bird but he'll be off.

Well I mean it has been a while… not sure we will really know until we are in it 

At the end of the day it will be a majority PT league and we have plenty of good PT players who have had some great experience playing in a higher league than L1

I mean what or who would you class as a standout L1 player in L1 just now for example? Barring anyone from Falkirk who have absolutely steamrolled it and will be promoted and not playing in the league next season- and why is it important to have a stand out L1 player anyway 

We have also got no idea who we will sign 

17 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

What rumour was quite strong - that he’s leaving you or that he’s maybe coming here? 

I would be over the moon with him 

Yes, Arbroath is his destination as per a fairly reliable source.

18 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Exactly!  That's the role he plays!  Its sensible tactically.  If you have someone on the other wing playing as a pure winger, then when that player pushes forward, its Dow's role to tuck in a bit and keep the balance of the team.  Teams very rarely play 2 wingers.  If you're playing a line up with say, Linn on the wing and McKenna pushing forward, then Dow is not supposed to push forward like them.  Its the same role James Craigan often played for us.

Nah. If he is on the left and the ball is on the right, he cuts in. Then cuts in some more. Then some more. Until he is on the right following the ball.

We get the ball and look to play it to the left and who is there? No one as Dow isnt anywhere near the left and no on. Same is true when he is ment to be on the right. Done it the whole time is here.

He does the opposite of provide balance.

He sees himself as an AM and will gravitate to that position as often as he can during a game.