The Arbroath Thread

6 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

My only slight concerns are that I worry that Reilly and Gallagher don't play a dedicated lone striker role well enough, and drop a bit too deep, 

I think this will be solved with the introduction of taylor, who seems like he’s always wanting to receive the ball either on the half turn on with his back to goal, and drive at defenders. This will hopefully make reilly stay slightly further forward and sniff out more chances in the box rather than trying to come too deep

2 hours ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Its just nice to have options again, isnt it?  For the first time in several seasons, I feel satisfied with the size and balance of the squad.  I appreciate that some people will think our squad is way too big, but this is what we need in the 5 sub era.  

We have different players who can play different roles, and who give us something different, without being worse.  We've also got a nice mix of youth and experience, which is really pleasing.

We were really critical of McIntyre, and absolutely rightly so, the man should have been fired out of a cannon before game one, only a fool would have ever believed he had a chance of turning things around, but he did sign very well.  Alienated good players and drove McKenna out of the club (I still cant believe our fans endorsed this), but he did sign a very good squad of players, which has been nicely augmented by our new management.

My only slight concerns are that I worry that Reilly and Gallagher don't play a dedicated lone striker role well enough, and drop a bit too deep, and that ToB seems to be becoming more injury prone with lots of wee niggles.  Otherwise, I've felt since the summer that our problems have always been more mental and psychological than anything to do with our signings.  We just needed a couple wins!

McKenna was terrific for us for many seasons, but when his form dropped off it was a problem that Dick saw him as undroppable because of his drive and work rate and potentially better (at that time) options at number 10 like Ryan Dow or Dylan Tait didn’t get a chance in their best position.  It was t such a bad thing that he moved on.