The Arbroath Thread

10 hours ago, Smokie_Bacon_crisps said:

It was the Arbroath physio who treated Ricky, and Alloa's treated their player that went down.  Thomas and Ricky signalled the severity of it and the Alloa Doctor came on.

Ewen is a fitness coach and sports scientist and there are very few people in Scotland with his qualifications and education and we were very lucky to have him. He got a deserved full time move to England in February.

The same warm up routines by coaches with years and years of experience won us the league.

Find me a Sunday Pub team that did that.........

Spot on just the usual saddos wanting to moan for moaning's sake.

I felt, like every pre season game bar Hill O' Beath, there were more positives than negatives to come out of Tuesday's game. Most of the negatives, things like certain players struggling for fitness and our lack of control in the centre of midfield, will be rectified in due course so again aren't massive issues at all. One of the biggest/ only worries for me right now is our struggle for fitness. We've got several players carrying knocks, some which have been longer term, and half a dozen players currently way off the pace fitness wise. Due to this, I'd expect us to get hammered by both Ross County and Hibs and if we can keep things respectable in both of these games I'll be happy enough. I think we need to be rotating the squad for the game on Saturday, and really think we need to play the guys who need match fitness more than the others or else they'll never catch up.

Our warm up's under Todd were extremely professional.... just another positive attribute he had that the fans never gave him any praise for  :whistle:whistle

There's no way you were fishing to start with, novels being written and all the statistics in the world dug up. [emoji6]

Wonder if we'll announce a back up keeper today or tomorrow before the Mo.

Not sure when we will start looking to bring loans in, when did we do it last year?

Would also add that I have no issue with our pre-match warm up whatsoever, I was in early on Tuesday and spent 20 minutes watching it and it seemed totally fine to me. If BigLichtie is referring to the half time 'warm up' then I agree with him. Last season we had Ewen Greenhill doing proper drills with them at half time up until he went down to Yeovil, whereas at Alloa the subs just punted the ball about at half time aimlessley. It was summed up by Josh Skelly sarcastically turning round to Kane and asking him if he thought he was a ballboy as he'd spent most of the 15 minutes collecting the ball from wayward shots/ passes. It's certainly an area we could improve/ get back on top of and I expect the management are looking to get another coach in with similiar credentials to Ewen Greenhill. As mentioned we were very lucky to have him last year and he'll be very hard to replace.

Am I a 'saddo' for 'moaning' about the above or do I want the best for the team/ club and feel this is a small area we could improve in? I'd much prefer people to be pointing out and discussing things that could be perceived as negative rather than just focusing on positives, ignoring any issues and hoping they go away. When people do that, nothing gets resolved and over time you end up with a whole range of problems needing fixed. Problems should be discussed as they arise and looked at/ discussed as quickly as possible for the benefit of everyone involved. Why should we ignore things we think could be improved/ could become a problem?

Just catching up on the chatter as I've been away for the last couple weeks (I'm a teacher :P)

I'm extremely surprised to see the flack in the direction of last season's (joint) top-scoring midfielder in his league (Denholm) but not surprised at the praise for young Yule. I ventured up north to watch Edinburgh City defeat his Cove side when all the Doncaster-chat was flying around - well justified chat too!

I think both players will (unfortunately) be strong assets to your mob this season!

11 minutes ago, George W BUSH said:

Just catching up on the chatter as I've been away for the last couple weeks (I'm a teacher :P)

I'm extremely surprised to see the flack in the direction of last season's (joint) top-scoring midfielder in his league (Denholm)

:D

I think any flack towards Denholm is solely frustration at him lacking match fitness currently - I'm sure he'll be up to speed by the end of the League Cup group stages. I think/ hope everyone accepts he's a superb addition and will be a real asset for us this season.

[emoji3]
I think any flack towards Denholm is solely frustration at him lacking match fitness currently - I'm sure he'll be up to speed by the end of the League Cup group stages. I think/ hope everyone accepts he's a superb addition and will be a real asset for us this season.

Absolutely cracking signing and will be a real asset for us.

He was abysmal on Tuesday tho

Aye Denholm is a class signing and proven to be very good at this level.

Looking off the pace just now though which is to be expected considering, looking forward to see him in full flight once the season gets going.

That 90 under his belt really would've helped him.

He had a few good flashes and a belter of a tackle but was clearly breathing out his arse. 6/10 performance.

Still the guy I'm most excited about from our summer recruitment. Although ToB and Yule have been absolutely superb so far.

I reckon both will chip in with a lot of goals. ToB looks like he's going to come close every time a corner comes in.

6/10 is being generous mate. he lost the ball so many times when in possession. gave no cover for hamilton so one footed but lets see what happens

Don't see it at all. He seemed to do all the basics pretty well but just didn't have that extra gear to do what he's best at, taking full backs on and getting balls into the box.

I thought he done more than Kader in the second half and you wouldn't have even known Doris was playing. He wasn't great but no need for you to go OTT about it.

how am i going OTT i am not the only guy that has posted he is so one footed. not the only guy to say he was poor on tuesday some other posters were even more critical. we are all entitled to our opinion. so put your dummy back in and calm doom

how am i going OTT i am not the only guy that has posted he is so one footed. not the only guy to say he was poor on tuesday some other posters were even more critical. we are all entitled to our opinion. so put your dummy back in and calm doom

How's being one footed a problem anyway? Loads of players like that in the team. I don't see how it affects his game, if he had to use his right he would. Bizarre thing to be talking about to be honest.

And I know they are. You expressed yours and I expressed mine back to it.