The Arbroath Thread

But Wallace can hold up the ball......

Slag him all you want, but he can do that, he takes it in very well has a good touch and can hold the ball for a wee while, sometimes a bit too long mind you but it’s still a side of Hesters game he needs to work on if he wants to be starting for us

8 minutes ago, Lichtie78 said:

Think we really need to get a winger in. Can’t recall Omar beating his man once in the friendlies we’ve played. this calendar year.

FTFY :(

I know football is about opinions and everyones differ etc. but it absolutely astounds me that anyone could possibly think Kane Hester was a better player/ better option than Ryan Wallace is. If there ever was any sort of debate on that, it should have been swiftly shut down and never opened up again after the Dumbarton play off game.

I like Kane, but there is absolutely no comparison between him and Ryan Wallace as football players.

FTFY [emoji20]
I know football is about opinions and everyones differ etc.

I like Kane, but there is absolutely no comparison between him and Ryan Wallace as football players.

Thats the point. They are two different types of strikers.

One is more of a defensive forward/target man that plays with his back to goal looking to bring others into the game.

The other is more of a poacher/advanced forward. He looks to sit off the shoulder of the last man and get in behind. Or use his pace to knock it and run on to it past defenders.

Doris back in September should end any debate who should be starting up top for us. Best front man we have had for many years
Has Doris had his operation yet?
The reason I'm asking, I had exactly the same injury as Stevie about a week before him and require the same operation. I've just had my pre assessment and should have it within 6-8 weeks. Just out of curiosity.

The reason I'm asking, I had exactly the same injury as Stevie about a week before him and require the same operation. I've just had my pre assessment and should have it within 6-8 weeks. Just out of curiosity.

Yeah had it a while ago, maybe October time at a total guess.

It’s getting to the stage where we have a bit of a problem up front for me. Hester and fraser are nowhere near good enough if we want to challenge for top spot. 

I would say most fans have been a bit underwhelmed with Wallace so he really has to hit the ground running this season quickly or else people will lose patience with him, don’t care if we paid a fee for him or his record elsewhere.

For Saturday I would look at pairing McKenna up front with him for a bit physicality and let’s just hope Doris gets back sooner.

Ive seen enough of Graham now and think he would definitely add something so hopefully we can get him in.

There was a delay in getting his operation due to the club not initially wanting to pay for it. All was sorted in the end tho. Probably added 2-3 weeks to his time out tho unfortunately

One is more of a defensive forward/target man that plays with his back to goal looking to bring others into the game.

The other is more of a poacher/advanced forward. He looks to sit off the shoulder of the last man and get in behind. Or use his pace to knock it and run on to it past defenders.

We learn so much from football manager

2 hours ago, RedLichtie86 said:

Thats the point. They are two different types of strikers.

I see your point and on a slight aside from the original Kane/ Wallace chat, I see Wallace as a penalty box striker who can also play a game outside the box/ back to goal. Based on his previous (footballing previous on the pitch, not the car park incident which saw him leave Airdrie :ph34r:) he seems to have spent more time as a penalty box striker at other clubs than a defensive forward, which he has spent a lot of his time with us doing. I feel a lot of that is down to us going through a period of playing rather defensive wide men since January which meant he had to drop wide to get the ball and also as he hasn't played upfront alongside a target man/ man who can hold the ball up/ man with a large arse which can be used to fend off opposing centre backs yet. Once we have Stevie Doris back and fit, I think him and Ryan Wallace could be a really good partnership together, with Wallace being allowed to spend more time in the box looking for the goal and Doris doing a lot of the work/ hold up play Wallace has had to do since he signed in January.

3-5-2 with our as yet unknown defensive midfielder in the Scott Martin role alongside Whatley, Swanks as the more attacking midfielder of the trio, Denholm and Linn out wide with Wallace/ Doris up top has a very good feel about it for me, if we manage to get the missing piece in the midfield in. If we don't get another good quality defensive midfielder in, we will lose a stack of goals from the opposition walking through the centre of the park against us IMO.

1 hour ago, Smokerson said:

It’s getting to the stage where we have a bit of a problem up front for me. Hester and fraser are nowhere near good enough if we want to challenge for top spot.

I think this nails it for me. Kane can do a job as a bit part player at times, Gary Fraser could go with a month long deal to cover us through the League Cup games, but if either of them are getting any great deal of game time for us this season we're gonna be struggling.

If our aim is to be challenging for the league, which the vast majority of people connected to the club (including players/ management) believe is the case, then we have to be adding 3/4 additional quality players to this squad, and I'm sure we will do in time :)

I'll be happy to see Steven Doris back in a maroon jersey again, but I hope he will be eased back into the team and not thrown in and be expected to carry on from where he was before his injury.  

He will need time to get his confidence in the injured knee back and to get fully match fit, so maybe a few sub appearances later on in games where we are well on top might be the best way to bring him back.

3 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Is it an ACL reconstruction? When I done mine in the January I didn't get the operation until the September.