The Arbroath Thread

Highlights from the Elgin Game now available on the Elgin Website - http://www.elgincity.net/?page_id=4854

Their new keeper joined them from Truro .  Cornwall to Elgin is a hell of a relocation. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44633556

Was a possible signing for St Mirren back in June - https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/2731513/st-mirren-truro-city-tom-mchale-sunderland-jack-ross/

After our result against Dumbarton when I thought we looked tired after our mid-week game ,Dick has got to fullfill his statement and get another striker and defensive mid-fielder in.In this game McKenna for once looked jaded and Wallace wasted 3 free kicks two of which were on the edge of the box.Overall our squad is limited and needs bolstered.I understand we have been offered players from SPL teams but have yet to take up the offer.

I've never been to  Dumbarton's ground and never will. After watching the highlights it seems to me to be a soulless place to play football, fenced on 3 sides and looks like the only place to spectate is from the stand. But the layout seems to be fairly standard for newer grounds, such as New Bayview, although the facilities for the players and officials may be better than they were at the old grounds. I suppose maintenance costs less as well with no terracing to maintain but surely can't get the same atmosphere during a game as there was in the old grounds with spectators on all sides.

I've never been to  Dumbarton's ground and never will. After watching the highlights it seems to me to be a soulless place to play football, fenced on 3 sides and looks like the only place to spectate is from the stand. But the layout seems to be fairly standard for newer grounds, such as New Bayview, although the facilities for the players and officials may be better than they were at the old grounds. I suppose maintenance costs less as well with no terracing to maintain but surely can't get the same atmosphere during a game as there was in the old grounds with spectators on all sides.

I think when it’s full it could create a decent atmosphere, the roof keeping the noise in.

Imagine not going to watch your team because you're expecting some sort of Bernabeau esque atmosphere in the lower leagues of Scottish football. I love Gayfield but its hardly bouncing with atmosphere on a weekly basis with 600 folk rattling around it, not many stadiums at this level are bar the odd big game/derby.

FWIW when our stand is full the atmosphere is decent. The roof keeps the noise in and with everyone being in the same area of the stadium the noise is obviously louder than if everyone was spread around 4 sides. If you offered me a crumbling old shitehole like Boghead or our new stadium with its modern facilities I'd take our new stadium every day of the week.

As for that 'soul' patter, jesus wept. Absolute birthday caird pish.

With Doris likely to be out until November at the earliest, I think a striker has to be our priority just now. McKenna and Wallace have started the season really well, but yesterday when they both had off days showed how thin we are up top. I think taking McKenna off was the wrong decision, but it was made worse by the fact we only had Hester to bring on. I’m sure everyone at the game saw what was about to come. Half an hour of us not being able to get up the park, which just invited pressure onto us. Taking Linn off as well basically meant we were resigned to playing the rest of the game in our own half. As has been said before, a draw would’ve been taken beforehand but when you lead for 90 minutes then a draw certainly isn’t a result you take with pleasure.

Tbf thought Hester done pretty well but agree overall. Wallace had a bit of a stinker and McKenna never got involved in anything really.

Can’t believe Bobby came off we should’ve just kept giving it to him and getting him running at the carded Thomson.

2 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Imagine not going to watch your team because you're expecting some sort of Bernabeau esque atmosphere in the lower leagues of Scottish football. I love Gayfield but its hardly bouncing with atmosphere on a weekly basis with 600 folk rattling around it, not many stadiums at this level are bar the odd big game/derby.

FWIW when our stand is full the atmosphere is decent. The roof keeps the noise in and with everyone being in the same area of the stadium the noise is obviously louder than if everyone was spread around 4 sides. If you offered me a crumbling old shitehole like Boghead or our new stadium with its modern facilities I'd take our new stadium every day of the week.

As for that 'soul' patter, jesus wept. Absolute birthday caird pish.

Maybe you don't quite know what soulless means, i.e. lacking character. I like the old grounds cos you can get behind the goals and have some banter with the opposing keeper. I'm not saying that Boghead was a great ground, but in a ground that looks like a prison yard, for mr there's something lacking. But that's probably a decent football team. 

hearing that doris is on fire at training but dc wont rush him back maybe during the international break we will get a couple of friendlies to get him game time

I was speaking to his dad and the physios and dick are 100% keeping to the rehab plan with no cutting corners or rushing things. Apparently stevie feels absolutely fine and could play tomorrow which is good to hear so hopefully in another couple of months he will be good to get back into playing.

I've never been to  Dumbarton's ground ...it seems to me to be a soulless place to play football, fenced on 3 sides and looks like the only place to spectate is from the stand. But the layout seems to be fairly standard for newer grounds, such as New Bayview, although the facilities for the players and officials may be better than they were at the old grounds. I suppose maintenance costs less as well with no terracing to maintain but surely can't get the same atmosphere during a game as there was in the old grounds with spectators on all sides.

Sorry but tend to agree tho I have been. It may sound a bit petty but occasionally I opt out of an away trip partly on the basis that ‘modern’ stadia are lacking something. I prefer standing, like to be able to move around the terraces and appreciate the character. Nothing personal .

Strikes me it be akin to the difference between visiting a shopping mall and going down the high street. And yes, there are plenty of foibles to be indulged in the lower league supporter

Sorry but tend to agree tho I have been. It may sound a bit petty but occasionally I opt out of an away trip partly on the basis that ‘modern’ stadia are lacking something. I prefer standing, like to be able to move around the terraces and appreciate the character. Nothing personal .

Strikes me it be akin to the difference between visiting a shopping mall and going down the high street. And yes, there are plenty of foibles to be indulged in the lower league supporter

I think clubs like EF and Dumbarton will struggle in the future, attracting new fans must be hard. Used to love going to Gayf as a kid, must be a brutal experience for kids getting dragged to grounds like Dumbartons and East Fife’s.