All things Dundee FC

Darren O'Dea@odea_darren 32m

32 minutes ago

Media say you don't need to have played football to understand it, well just because you have played doesn't mean you understand it either.

Bloody hell! What's this? A footballer talking sense!

For what it's worth I don't watch Sportscene it's awful, so full of old firm platitudes! I also think that because Nevin, like ooor Darren, is clearly capable of comment beyond the odd monosyllabic grunt that he is somehow a worthy analyst on account of his eloquence.

That our defence is not always the best is clearly true, Celtic and Ross County have exposed with momentum our weaknesses, and I'm sure that Hartley knows this and that's why he's gone a wee bit mental at Nevin as a little truth can hurt. That Nevin only watched bits of the match is certain, but it does not necessarily mean that he is completely wrong. Nevertheless PH is totally spot on over the whole Sportscene debacle and its good that a manager has let rip in the way that we've been doing on here for ages.

With the BBC putting all the goals up on Sunday at 6pm, Sporstcene is redundant at 10:20!

Let's have a watertight defence this evening against the Bairns.

The problem with Nevin's "analysis" is that he didn't examine the context. Every time he criticised our defence, it was based on their position in the first frame of the video with no consideration for how they ended up in that position.

I'm sure I could pick out plenty examples of "narrow defending" where a poor set piece has resulted in a quick breakaway and the defenders are simply busting a gut through the middle of the park to get back.

That's why the analysis on Sky's Monday Night Football is so much better. They look at a move from start to finish instead of picking it up half way through.

Our defence is chronic tbf. Holt has improved but not enough for me to not get the fear every time a wide player gets a few inches past him.

Look at Adam Rooney's 2 goals against us, in his last 2 games, both from Holt not stopping Hayes, and McGinn sleeping. Both FBs are our problem. Not stepped up enough, despite my thoughts McGinn had/would complete it.

I wrote 1600 words on McGinn today (boredom more than anything).

https://dundeetactics.wordpress.com/2016/01/26/just-over-half-way-review-pt-1-is-pat-nevin-wrong/

Can understand Hartley snapping back (Nevin probably thinks it shows he made some devastating cutting insight) I just hope Hartley isn't doing a Strachan where he would be quite insulting in response to questions most football fans ask with an attitude of what would you know (of a sport you have followed all your life)

Gadzahlov to f**k please. I think he would of already been punted in this window if McPake, Meggat and Etxabeguren hadn't been injured.

O'Dea and Etxabeguren should be our main two centre half pairing.

Look at Adam Rooney's 2 goals against us, in his last 2 games, both from Holt not stopping Hayes, and McGinn sleeping. Both FBs are our problem. Not stepped up enough, despite my thoughts McGinn had/would complete it.

I wrote 1600 words on McGinn today (boredom more than anything).

https://dundeetactics.wordpress.com/2016/01/26/just-over-half-way-review-pt-1-is-pat-nevin-wrong/

I thought Holt's errors were amplified tonight by Low offering him no protection whatsoever. Every time the ball went down that side I got the fear.

I'd say Nick Ross was our worst player tonight. Every time Falkirk had a dangerous attack it was because he either misplaced a pass, was taking too long to make a pass, lost an aerial challenge, didn't make a strong enough challenge or was simply brushed off the ball. I have no idea what he offers the team.

rainbowrising, on 26 Jan 2016 - 19:18, said:

Can understand Hartley snapping back (Nevin probably thinks it shows he made some devastating cutting insight) I just hope Hartley isn't doing a Strachan where he would be quite insulting in response to questions most football fans ask with an attitude of what would you know (of a sport you have followed all your life)

Strachan is the manager he bases himself on, so he probably would.

Think Strachan has a lot of unofficial involvement with the club as I believe he's the ear Hartley tends to bend when looking for advice.

Agree about what has been said about Gadz and Ross. Nicky Low had a bit of a stinker tonight too. Not got enough pace or dynamism about him to play wide left imo.

Think we might be better going Stewart on the left and Kerr on the right Saturday.

ETA: Would obviously interchange during the game so Greg can score his usual curler.

Edited by ThirdAccount