All things Dundee FC

Jon had an awful game today, but the moment McCann threw the ball away whilst utterly raging at Jon for a misplaced pass whilst 1 down and berated him to the point that Jon looked to Meekings for a confidence boost, was the point that I realised McCann wasn't conducive to us having a successful team.

As for Holt, is it any surprise that he's not even made the squad since Parish had a nightmare and Holt scored an OG whilst playing out of position and then having the audacity to speak to Bobby Geddes when subbed?

11 hours ago, Fifespud said:

I don’t know if the whole pundit thing is relevant. He’s got the badges, just like Neil Lennon did when he got the Celtic job. It’s just the magic managerial stuff that’s lacking.

See, not to pile on to McCann (I've been sceptical since he got the job but I'm a Motherwell fan so my opinion hardly matters) but it seems entirely possible that he's just not a very good manager/coach (for this level).

He's been in the job just shy of a year now and granted, he kept you up with 2 wins and a draw but since he got the job permanently he's signed virtually an entirely new team but how many of the players he's working with has he actually improved? Hendry probably but he's out the door. From what I've read guys like Cammy Kerr have completely regressed, he's fallen out with a shitload of the squad he inherited and has frozen out others.

Then you've got the style of play, I know there's been a a lot of talk about how Dundee were playing well but just not winning games but we're approaching the split and I'm genuinely curious as to whether the team are any better at implementing the style he's supposedly wanting. Are they worse as a unit now than they were at the start of the season?

It's a bit of a fatuous comparison on my part because you're talking about one guy who has spent his career operating at a high level with another who's just walked out a TV studio but it also seems relevant in terms of approach but when you look at Steve Clarke who has essentially added 2 players to the team he inherited from McCulloch and simply focused on improving what he had at his disposal. Whereas from the outside looking in it seems McCann's completely alienated guys like Haber, Vincent, Williams, Bain etc who were already at the club then signed Scott Allan and not really known what to do with him to the point where he agitated to break his loan deal.

Granted some of those names I mentioned almost got you relegated last season but equally Clarke's come in and coached players like Brophy to the point where they've improved. McCann just seems to have written a load of players off as soon as he was in the door and spent a shitload of cash running up a huge squad in the process.

I've seen a lot of chat about why Dundee should stick with McCann because he has "potential" but based on the way the season's panning out I'd have said there should be genuine questions about him as a coach more than anything.

Edited by capt_oats

See, not to pile on to McCann (I've been sceptical since he got the job but I'm a Motherwell fan so my opinion hardly matters) but it seems entirely possible that he's just not a very good manager/coach (for this level).
He's been in the job just shy of a year now and granted, he kept you up with 2 wins and a draw but since he got the job permanently he's signed virtually an entirely new team but how many of the players he's working with has he actually improved? Hendry probably but he's out the door. From what I've read guys like Cammy Kerr have completely regressed, he's fallen out with a shitload of the squad he inherited and has frozen out others.
Then you've got the style of play, I know there's been a a lot of talk about how Dundee were playing well but just not winning games but we're approaching the split and I'm genuinely curious as to whether the team are any better at implementing the style he's supposedly wanting. Are they worse as a unit now than they were at the start of the season?
It's a bit of a fatuous comparison on my part because you're talking about one guy who has spent his career operating at a high level with another who's just walked out a TV studio but it also seems relevant in terms of approach but when you look at Steve Clark who has essentially added 2 players to the team he inherited from McCulloch and simply focused on improving what he had at his disposal. Whereas from the outside looking in it seems McCann's completely alienated guys like Haber, Vincent, Williams, Bain etc who were already at the club then signed Scott Allan and not really known what to do with him to the point where he agitated to break his loan deal.
Granted some of those names I mentioned almost got you relegated last season but equally Clark's come in and coached players like Brophy to the point where they've improved. McCann just seems to have written a load of players off as soon as he was in the door and spent a shitload of cash running up a huge squad in the process.
I've seen a lot of chat about why Dundee should stick with McCann because he has "potential" but based on the way the season's panning out I'd have said there should be genuine questions about him as a coach more than anything.

Good post.

Players have regressed, I’d say not one player has improved. We are further away from mastering the playing style than we were 6 months ago.

We don’t know what goes on ‘behind closed doors’ but my life experience tells me you know pretty quickly who can manage a team of workers and who can’t. It looks like McCann isn’t one of them.

38 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

I don’t know if the whole pundit thing is relevant. He’s got the badges, just like Neil Lennon did when he got the Celtic job. It’s just the magic managerial stuff that’s lacking.

The point I was trying to make Spud was that McCann seems to know how the game SHOULD be played. He showed that as a pundit when he was pointing out all the errors after a game.  I know the powers to be have decreed that badges are necessary but like every qualification they only show you have learned what is required to pass them.  It doesn’t show you can successfully implement those skills  in the real world.

McCann has come into the role as manager with fixed ideas about how he likes football to be played.  There are too many variables in any walk of life not to be flexible, let alone as a football manager.

Good post.

Players have regressed, I’d say not one player has improved. We are further away from mastering the playing style than we were 6 months ago.

We don’t know what goes on ‘behind closed doors’ but my life experience tells me you know pretty quickly who can manage a team of workers and who can’t. It looks like McCann isn’t one of them.

Aye, that’s pretty much the impression I got.

Another thing is that I get the feeling that every other manger in the league has sussed him out tactically but I’m not sure that he’s realised this yet. Or maybe he has and it accounts for his apparent perma-rage with referees, other managers and his own players.

Had a dream last night that we won 4-1 away at Ibrox. Juan Sara scored 2 and Caballero scored 1. The other was scored by some random foreign c**t. Then I woke up and remembered we just got pumped 4-0 by the fermers :-).

I need to stop drinking before I go to bed.

He was one of Hartley’s pre-contract agreement signings and by all accounts he was on excellent wages.  I take it you don’t see what Hartley saw in him?

He is utterly useless, I wouldn’t pay him much more than £200 a week.

I'd have had Vincent in our midfield yesterday before Curran, Spence or Piggott.

Really are those three useless at tackling, running, shooting and passing because Vincent has nothing going for him I’m afraid.

14 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I'd have had Vincent in our midfield yesterday before Curran, Spence or Piggott.

Sounds like Vincent is struggling in the fun league so I’m not sure he would have made much of a difference if truth be told but I take your point.  Of course the three you have named have got youth on their side and I think Piggott is meant to be a defender.  

One person who has got off lightly is McGowan.  Sent off after the match against Motherwell leaving the team high and dry.