All things Dundee FC

2 minutes ago, D TOTAL said:

People probably wont like my opinions but I think we should go for either Ian McCall, Robbie Neilson or Gary naysmith

I agree with your earlier post + McPake & Boyle deserve it after their success with the wee Dee.

If we're going with the available scottish managers tho, then Neilson would probably be my choice (tbf the list of options is fkin dire tho).

1 hour ago, D TOTAL said:

People probably wont like my opinions but I think we should go for either Ian McCall, Robbie Neilson or Gary naysmith

I wouldn’t mind Jobby McCall in the slightest, he’d definitely have us organised.

Neilson done an excellent job at Hearts but was that down to Levein’s influence. He flopped big time at MK Dons. 

I’d be enquiring about Morten Wieghorst at Aab in Denmark 1st tho. A bit of managerial experience behind him now. 

8 hours ago, bobbycoxblue said:

I think you'll find you won it over the course of the season. Oh and see you have your WiFi back on. Well done you emoji16.png

Touche.

You're spot on. I should have posted on page 1982 as well.8)

Never mind. At least you'll get through the coming weekend without getting pumped.

On this day in 1962 Dundee started their European Cup campaign beating 1 FC Köln 8-1 at Dens Park. There doesn't seem to be any TV footage but this is some of the TV commentary with Kenneth Wolstensolme calling then action.

https://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/fp/55-years-ago-dundee-hit-euro-stage-bang-beating-cologne-8-1/

5 hours ago, D TOTAL said:

Try an outside bet..Strachan

Indeed. 

I have no doubt that he is on the club radar, but my guess would be that his appointment would probably coincide with the new stadium. 

Not sure if changing the manager is really going to help as its not clear how much of the football philosophy is determined by the manager.  From memory the club said at the start of last season that they wanted a more attractive style of play, and my fear then was that we would not have the players to implement that style of football.  A number of people argued here that containing football, with goals scored via set-plays and breakaways, is more productive than expansive play and can be implemented with lesser quality players. Its the Man City v Chelsea comparison, where Chelsea are almost as effective, despite usually defending a lot and having less of the ball,. If we take a new manager in and the board tell him that he needs to continue to play expansive football, then I'm nor sure what will change . 

In saying that, nothing can mitigate against your central defender falling over as a cross come over. These sort of mistakes happen and it just seem that we are on a bad run at the moment.  

Surely the type of football you play is either a joint decision between BoD and Manager, and therefore you appoint one amenable to and capable of implementing this, or you leave that up to the manager to decide what's best given the tools at his disposal.

Personally, I'm of the opinion it's not really for the BoD to be telling managers how to manage, but if you insist on doing that, then it seems a given that you'd go after a manager with proven ability to implement what you're after, and agree with him before he becomes your employee how exactly you expect the team to function, not hire him first and then get down to that discussion.

My concern here, is that if it is indeed the case the BoD are insistent on expansive football, they've hired a guy with no track record at all on which to judge the efficacy of such an approach. I'd love it if Dundee FC played like 1970 Brazil, but I'm sure that with having no actual management experience at all, even if I suggested to the BoD that's what I'd endeavour to achieve if appointed, they'd laugh me out of the door. I can't believe they appointed McCann because he expressed a willingness to try and play expansive, passing football, and are willing to stand by and watch him fail while attempting to do so. That's gross intransigence on the part of the BoD if that's the case. It's not just the results. We're a bit easier on the eye than we were under Hartley, but it's not like we're knocking it around with complete comfort and panache either. It's frantic, and closer to blind panic when the ball is in our defensive third, never mind the fact we're utterly impotent further up the park.

If the BoD are going to insist on the same from any new manager, the only reasonable response from any applicant should be 'forget it'.

Edited by Boo Khaki

Sorry in advance Spud for bringing it up, but I'd be Spud with his season ticket furious if Miller got it.

No problem Ludo. I’ll be right behind you.

That’s 3 people including me coming round to Jobby McCall. He seems to get the players behind him anyway and could possibly bring Shankland with him at some stage. He might be the sort of guy who would hang around for a while and build something whereas the younger guys, if successful are always likely to be offski the first time some no mark basket case League 1 club drops its knickers.

There's no way the board will be telling the manager what type of football to play, that's lunacy! For starters it's hardly been easy on the eye attractive football and do you really think they'd happily be saying " Sure Neil, results are terrible, the atmosphere is toxic, crowds are down with no real prospect of them increasing again but yeah keep playing it out from the back, we like watching sideways passing and possession with no end result"?

I always liked McCall (even his brief spell at the DABs where we basically owned him). He was s brilliant wee player for us until THAT shoes incident. The main concern with his appointment would be that he will get virtually no leeway with the fans and it could go tits up pretty quickly.

It's actually quite incredible we're willingly considering McCall, Duffy etc. That in itself is a hugely damning indictment of McCann's ineptitude.

Give him until the end of the 1st round of fixtures - punting now will cost us a bundle that we can avoid if he's able to turn things around.  If he cannot, we will still be able to recover lost ground.  And, there may be better names around if we're looking for an outsider - when replacing a manager it's as much about who is around as  anything else - Mourinho might be looking for a gig by then!   Strachan would be a good shout but I wonder if we're below his expectations?

53 minutes ago, jupe1407 said:

I always liked McCall (even his brief spell at the DABs where we basically owned him). He was s brilliant wee player for us until THAT shoes incident. The main concern with his appointment would be that he will get virtually no leeway with the fans and it could go tits up pretty quickly.

It's actually quite incredible we're willingly considering McCall, Duffy etc. That in itself is a hugely damning indictment of McCann's ineptitude.

I've only known McCall since he was United manager but I've always quite liked him. I was genuinely disappointed when Chisholm was favoured over him and thought we made a mistake at the time not making a move for him. I think he comes across as quite knowledgeable and have always had the impression that he's a very consistent manager who maybe hasn't had the breaks.

McCall and Duffy dream team.

People forget Ian McCall was once rated the most promising young manager in the country, hence the TBS’s Dad turning up at his house with a suitcase full of cash. Sadly he spent most of it on his best mates Jack D, Billy and Charlie and the rest he blew on the GeeGees. He’s a clever guy, experienced and I think he’s got another decent gig in him.