All things Dundee FC

2 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

:lol:

That's me out.

It's fine if you can't see the bigger picture, but out-of-town stadiums have become a thing of the past for good reason. Driving to the football is just not going to be a thing for people who live within Dundee itself within ten years of any Camperdown stadium being built, so what then?

Given Dundee isn't building a light rail network anytime soon im not getting the issue with the location. 

Even if it was a city centre ground most fans would have to drive, walk or bus it in.

I still think the most fun option would have been to go back to your roots and build somewhere around the Stannergate. 

Edited by invergowrie arab

8 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

I'm also on record as saying A9 dualling won't happen. I suppose if the goalposts keep getting changed and the timescale is infinite  that I'll be proved wrong eventually.

I see they have stopped spoofing about the progress they have made given they have only now admitted that planning permission in principle has yet to be submitted. Has it not been imminent for about 2 years?

I'd be surprised if a planning permission in principle is adequate given its almost certainly a change of use.

Do you think you will be in for 25/26?

What do you mean by adequate? Full permission would have to be applied for anyway. The planning permission in principle gives secures the proposed use of the land and is a failsafe should layout/strategy change.

9 minutes ago, Hibernia said:

Driving to the football is just not going to be a thing for people who live within Dundee itself within ten years of any Camperdown stadium being built, so what then?

Presumably, in your incredibly futuristic eco-friendly world, everyone is capable and willing of walking 1hr a day and/or have portable bicycles that form from their apple smart watch whenever required.

Or maybe we'll have hoverboats that run on sunlight by then.

5 minutes ago, Pens_Dark said:

What do you mean by adequate? Full permission would have to be applied for anyway. The planning permission in principle gives secures the proposed use of the land and is a failsafe should layout/strategy change.

A PPiP wont usually be granted if it's a change of use or in a conservation area. I'm not a planning expert and it might not be a change of use or there might be other exemptions but it jumped out at me.

15 minutes ago, Hibernia said:

It's fine if you can't see the bigger picture, but out-of-town stadiums have become a thing of the past for good reason. Driving to the football is just not going to be a thing for people who live within Dundee itself within ten years of any Camperdown stadium being built, so what then?

You're saying this like it's in Errol or somewhere.

It's in Dundee city limits ffs.

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

Dundee stadium concept looks great. Hopefully it actually comes to fruition. When I see exciting concepts like this from a fellow diddy club though, with talk of it being part of a bigger re-generation project with bespoke ‘Chevron’ designed main stand and state-of-the-art LED scoreboards etc, my gut says ‘aye, gie’s a shout when someone actually sees a spade breaking ground. Cynical? Me?

Genuinely though, maybe this time, the concept artwork and the big promises actually come to pass. Excuse me if I’m not holding my breath though!

Yeah theres absolutely no chance their stadium will actually look like that. Itll be a generic cheap built rent a stadium concept like your own by the end, simply as costs are far too high for anything else these days.

Is this the 3rd or 4th different "concept stadium" Dundee have put out too? 

20 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Given Dundee isn't building a light rail network anytime soon im not getting the issue with the location. 

Even if it was a city centre ground most fans would have to drive, walk or bus it in.

I still think the most fun option would have been to go back to your roots and build somewhere around the Stannergate. 

Only issue I can see is that out of town places with just a car park take forever to get out of. At least at St Johnstone, St Mirren, Airdrie etc there are plenty of side streets fairly close - can't see that being right for this (yes there are streets but the Kingsway kind of gets in the way...)

Plans do look quite nice but like all conceptual designs it'll probably look a lot more basic when built. 

Good luck with it (and if you have any decent centre halves we can take off your hands then send them down East End Park way).

15 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yeah theres absolutely no chance their stadium will actually look like that. Itll be a generic cheap built rent a stadium concept like your own by the end, simply as costs are far too high for anything else these days.

Is this the 3rd or 4th different "concept stadium" Dundee have put out too? 

It’s that difficult 3rd concept album stadium.

10 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Only issue I can see is that out of town places with just a car park take forever to get out of. At least at St Johnstone, St Mirren, Airdrie etc there are plenty of side streets fairly close - can't see that being right for this (yes there are streets but the Kingsway kind of gets in the way...)

There's loads of places to park in Dryburgh which is a pedestrian underpass away from the ground. There's also the Ice Arena and Cineworld car parks next door. There's an ASDA and ALDI 10/15 mins walk down the Kingsway which has a massive car park too. Even the bottom of Ardler, on or just off Rosemount Rd is a 10 min stroll downhill. If it's an evening game then I'd imagine that makes the nearby Dryburgh and Gourdie industrial estates fair game too. Parking and pedestrian access to the site is currently great and will only get better.

The thinking man, however, will access Camperdown from the west on foot, stroll through the jungle blazing a fat ane and see Nou Campy reveal itself through the flora like King Louie's temple

image.png.5adedc0995d0a29bf52dffc03dfc0f5f.png

Me in the Jungle VIP Box watching us scud the Mirren

image.png.c09cc1aa8224de47b74908ed87897d3e.png

2 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Dundee Station to Dens = 40 min walk.

Dundee Station to new stadium = 1 hr 15 min walk.

It's actually 15 mins quicker to walk from Invergowrie to the new stadium location. There is no doubt that away days will not be the same and probably worse off. Football fans don't mind the 40 min walk to Dens and dipping in and out of pubs along the way but 1 hr 15 mins with less pubs to go to is far less appealing and folk will end up getting buses or driving. 

5 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

It's actually 15 mins quicker to walk from Invergowrie to the new stadium location. There is no doubt that away days will not be the same and probably worse off. Football fans don't mind the 40 min walk to Dens and dipping in and out of pubs along the way but 1 hr 15 mins with less pubs to go to is far less appealing and folk will end up getting buses or driving. 

Maybe we could get @invergowrie arabto be a guide from Invergowrie train st. for away fans to El Nou Campy?

3 hours ago, Hibernia said:

In 15 years time we might be teleporting to stadiums or on hoverboards. I saw it happen on Star Trek back in the 70s so it must be possible!

Buses currently run to the Camperdown area from the train station. 

It takes a few minutes more to drive from Dundee train station to Camperdown vs Dens. 

I hope in 15 years I could still walk there with a few watering spots on the way with @Derry Alli offering recommendations. 

But let’s look on the bright side…. we might all be dead when the planet gets hit by a meteorite. 

IMG_5699.jpeg.8142d8bc43cb11e263cfe442737a2943.jpeg

48 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

I’d be lying if I said I knew where Camperdown is, but it can’t be any worse than the location of McDiarmid, or, to a lesser extent, our SMiSA wee midden… compared to Love Street certainly. Wherever Camperdown is, it just makes me think of a scene from Blazing Saddles… and, no, I get no kick from champagne either. 😀

4 hours ago, Hibernia said:

Private car ownership in cities the size of Dundee will reduce dramatically as the need to address climate change becomes greater still. To build a stadium in the mid-2020s with zero viable public transport options (and again, please do not say buses, they are not viable for a matchday basis) is ridiculously short-sighted

The 28 gets you off around 1 minute walk from the stadium and covers the whole of Dundee East, Central and West. The 10 outer circle serves the same stops but don't let that detract from your beautifully crafted horse shit.

Edit - didn't read the whole thing because I was laughing. "Please don't say buses because that is a very simple way of disproving my beautifully crafted horse shit".

Edited by Crawford

4 hours ago, Hibernia said:

Is it just driving to “out-of-town locations” for the football that people from Dundee will not be doing within 10 years?  

You’ve made me a bit worried for all the people who live in houses around the Camperdown location and further afield.  Will they no longer be driving home from town after they’ve been shopping and eating out?  You’ve particularly made me worried about all the people that currently drive home after working in the centre of town each day.  Will that “no longer be a thing”?