All things Dundee FC

Great player. Very creative and dynamic. Only thing negative is that he weighs about 7 stone. Needs to hit the weights.

What's his best position? Always thought Caley fans rated him highly and surprised he's been let go really.

Ross has played wide quite often for us, although he's not the sort of player who is likely to beat a full back and swing in crosses - he's more likely to cut in and exchange short passes. He's been a bit of an enigma for us, to be honest: generally his first touch is good, he has a great eye for a pass, he's knocked in a few goals and he works hard, but he's never really been able to hold down a regular place. To be fair, he has come through at a time when our strongest ever team was starting to take shape, but I think it's also been partly to do with a lack of physical presence, and partly the fact that in what looks like his strongest natural position - attacking central midfield or behind the main striker - he's always been kept out by someone with just a little bit more ability, like Andrew Shinnie or Ryan Christie. Would like to see him do well, so it's a bit of a shame that he's gone to a direct rival for a top six place.

Pros: Very good technically, intelligent, hard worker, Scottish cup winning pedigree

Cons: Doesn't score many goals, built like a crisp packet

He will be a good signing for Dundee, certainly another blow to the depth of our squad.

Edited by Stephen Malkmus

What's his best position? Always thought Caley fans rated him highly and surprised he's been let go really.

As now mentioned, he was used wide right but definitely likes to cut in and into a more central role, the role Christie plays for us, and previously Andy Shinnie. Hence the lack of a regular start.

Well if he's a hard worker and pretty fit then that looks like McAlisters replacement and Ross is obviously more gifted with the ball. McGinn and McAlister out and hopefully a packet winger in and that's us sorted.

As now mentioned, he was used wide right but definitely likes to cut in and into a more central role, the role Christie plays for us, and previously Andy Shinnie. Hence the lack of a regular start.

I thought of him as mainly a wide player. My first reaction was that he'd play in the same role as Boyle did latterly, ie the right side equivalent of Stewart. He'd offer a bit less pace, but (I hope) better technique and game intelligence, and therefore more end product. Alex Harris filled that spot well at times, but not consistently enough.

So he's a good signing as far as I'm concerned. I don't think he was released by Caley Thistle. He was offered a new contract wasn't he? He's moving on to get more game time, so it seems to be a very similar situation to Boyle leaving us for Hibs.

It's a pity for Caley Thistle that one of their home reared players is moving on for zilch. It's always fascinating to watch ICT and see whether they can keep finding these utterly obscure gems down south. There's obviously something very impressive going on behind the scenes there, not only sourcing the players, but choosing the ones with the right character (hungry & flexible) to fit in and adjust to the change. They must be getting good support from right the start so they feel at home.

Anyway, Nick Ross looks like a good signing who will improve the quality and balance of our squad. I assume that's it for us this summer.

Anyone want to place a charity bet on the first St Johnstone fan to say they didn't want him and/or we are overpaying him dramatically?

As alluded to by a farmer earlier, blown out the water again.

Pleasing.

Ive no idea how serious our interest ever was tbh, he certainly fills the bill of what we were after though. The same folk who kept bringing up Gormley and Reilly were bringing up Ross.

Regardless we said after the Sutton signing we're only after one more, but we'll have to wait and see what happens. So it was fairly obvious he wasnt joining us.

Anyone want to place a charity bet on the first St Johnstone fan to say they didn't want him and/or we are overpaying him dramatically?

As alluded to by a farmer earlier, blown out the water again.

Pleasing.

You're awfy keen on a charity bet.

Dund££

D££FIANT

You're awfy keen on a charity bet.

D££FIANT

:D

Gotta help those less fortunate! Except St Johnstone fans of course.

Bets off now anyway RandomGuy quoted my post and went on to state how there was no real interest in him from Saints.

I thought it would've been shitebag, perthsaints or TSAC to bite first so would've lost that 1.

Great player. Very creative and dynamic. Only thing negative is that he weighs about 7 stone. Needs to hit the weights.

post-1545-14351633572442_thumb.jpg

Was just thinking that. Looks like he needs a course of peh conditioning in pre-season

This should leave the coast clear for Thistle to snap up Sam Stanton...unless the Dees have another spare 8k a week kicking around?

Edited by Callum Booth

I posted this on TDB forum, but thought it was worth sharing here too:

Maybe some of the Caley fans comments on him from their own forum will wet some more appetites.

This was back in April when he was linked with the likes of Ross County, they said:

'The guy is so reliable, whether starting, or off-the-bench and is a great example of how local boys can make it in the top league of Scottish football. He's only 23, yet has made around 170 appearances for his home club. Terrific ambassador, he'd certainly be our loss and some other club's gain.'

'Nick Ross has never let us down. For those who think he's still too lightweight, note how he bullied Broon on Sunday on at least 2 occasions. I like him, but I just don't know what position he plays best in. I suspect he fits better into a 4-4-2 than a 4-2-3-1 formation, so perhaps there's something for him if we use that more regularly. Really hoe he stays and would not be happy if he went OTB'

'I would hope there is a future for Nick at ICT. I have been one who has been a bit critical of him in the past but I think there has been a very significant improvement in his play in the last year. He has always been a player who has a great touch and rarely gives the ball away but in the past he has been rather weak in the challenge. That is the element to his game that has changed and he is now much more effective in putting pressure on opponents with the ball and nicking the ball off them. As a result, I think he is featuring more and more in Yogi's plans.

We have depth in midfield players and whilst he may not be a first choice at the moment, he is improving all the time. He was the one sub used on Sunday and played very well. He certainly gave Scott Brown a run for his money. There is no reason why he shouldn't be able to feature more regularly in the first team next season and he would need to consider where he might fit in with other teams. '

'... his touch and vision to see a pass is his greatest assets. Not the most physical of players but brings so much to the team in other areas. Fully deserves a new contract and a regular starting place in his best position which I believe is just off the front man.'

Now for some comments on their forum just after it was revealed he'd signed for us:

'I don't think we have had any other player who is so neat and tidy in possession. He rarely seems to give the ball away and that was a real asset to a team playing our kind of possession football. Our loss is Dundee's gain, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if they are up challenging for Europe next season with all the signings they've made.'

'Really sad to see Nick Ross go - I hope we don't regret it! I thought he looked the real deal this year when he came on - worked hard tracking back and was no longer bullied off the ball (semi final against Broon springs to mind).'

'With Watkins away and Ofere too, I thought we'd have pulled out the stops to secure Nick.'

'Real shame to see Nick Ross go. His misfortune is that we've been blessed with some excellent players in his best positions in the past 3 years, but I'd still like us to have kept hold of him, especially with Marley gone. '

'Very disappointing to hear that [He's joined Dundee]. Wish him success as long as it isn't at ICT's expense.'

'I think Nick will do very well and probably demonstrate that we ought to have yielded to his ambition for more first team starts.'

The odd bit of bitterness even creeping in, with posts such as:

'Imo i feel Nick has been foolish. Yes he hasnt been starting much these past two seasons, but we have lost some of those players who pushed him out and were looking to him to fill that void. This was his real chance to shine now with us, but he has naffed off to a mediocre club where he will have to start from the beginning and prove himself against a bigger squad.'

' think Dundee have got themselves an excellent bit of business with Nick Ross, few players can pick a pass and are as neat on the ball as him so i feel he will be a real asset for them. Sad to lose a local player but wish him well in the new challenge'

'After being on such a high with the Europa draw this has put me on a complete downer.

He said it himself in his interview, he wanted to come in as a first team regular so obviously couldn't be promised this by Yogi for whatever reason. Massive signing for Dundee and could see him doing well there but it's just a sideway step. I can't believe that there was no way of convincing him to at least sign another year with the club to let him achieve first team football, get a taste of European football and then move on to a bigger opportunity.

Seems like a real lack of ambition from both parties.

Gutted. '

'Great signing for the Dees. Hartley is making some shrewd signings. I fully expect them to finish in the top six next season.'

Out of all the comments on the Caley forum spread across a few different threads, the absolutely only negative comment I could find was:

'Bad move in my opinion unless he has been guaranteed more game time. Even then, don't honestly think he is as big a loss as some make out. Really need to strengthen squad now for the coming season although probably too late for Europe.'

And that was truly, the worst comment I could find.

I posted this on TDB forum, but thought it was worth sharing here too:

Maybe some of the Caley fans comments on him from their own forum will wet some more appetites.

This was back in April when he was linked with the likes of Ross County, they said:

'The guy is so reliable, whether starting, or off-the-bench and is a great example of how local boys can make it in the top league of Scottish football. He's only 23, yet has made around 170 appearances for his home club. Terrific ambassador, he'd certainly be our loss and some other club's gain.'

'Nick Ross has never let us down. For those who think he's still too lightweight, note how he bullied Broon on Sunday on at least 2 occasions. I like him, but I just don't know what position he plays best in. I suspect he fits better into a 4-4-2 than a 4-2-3-1 formation, so perhaps there's something for him if we use that more regularly. Really hoe he stays and would not be happy if he went OTB'

'I would hope there is a future for Nick at ICT. I have been one who has been a bit critical of him in the past but I think there has been a very significant improvement in his play in the last year. He has always been a player who has a great touch and rarely gives the ball away but in the past he has been rather weak in the challenge. That is the element to his game that has changed and he is now much more effective in putting pressure on opponents with the ball and nicking the ball off them. As a result, I think he is featuring more and more in Yogi's plans.

We have depth in midfield players and whilst he may not be a first choice at the moment, he is improving all the time. He was the one sub used on Sunday and played very well. He certainly gave Scott Brown a run for his money. There is no reason why he shouldn't be able to feature more regularly in the first team next season and he would need to consider where he might fit in with other teams. '

'... his touch and vision to see a pass is his greatest assets. Not the most physical of players but brings so much to the team in other areas. Fully deserves a new contract and a regular starting place in his best position which I believe is just off the front man.'

Now for some comments on their forum just after it was revealed he'd signed for us:

'I don't think we have had any other player who is so neat and tidy in possession. He rarely seems to give the ball away and that was a real asset to a team playing our kind of possession football. Our loss is Dundee's gain, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if they are up challenging for Europe next season with all the signings they've made.'

'Really sad to see Nick Ross go - I hope we don't regret it! I thought he looked the real deal this year when he came on - worked hard tracking back and was no longer bullied off the ball (semi final against Broon springs to mind).'

'With Watkins away and Ofere too, I thought we'd have pulled out the stops to secure Nick.'

'Real shame to see Nick Ross go. His misfortune is that we've been blessed with some excellent players in his best positions in the past 3 years, but I'd still like us to have kept hold of him, especially with Marley gone. '

'Very disappointing to hear that [He's joined Dundee]. Wish him success as long as it isn't at ICT's expense.'

'I think Nick will do very well and probably demonstrate that we ought to have yielded to his ambition for more first team starts.'

The odd bit of bitterness even creeping in, with posts such as:

'Imo i feel Nick has been foolish. Yes he hasnt been starting much these past two seasons, but we have lost some of those players who pushed him out and were looking to him to fill that void. This was his real chance to shine now with us, but he has naffed off to a mediocre club where he will have to start from the beginning and prove himself against a bigger squad.'

' think Dundee have got themselves an excellent bit of business with Nick Ross, few players can pick a pass and are as neat on the ball as him so i feel he will be a real asset for them. Sad to lose a local player but wish him well in the new challenge'

'After being on such a high with the Europa draw this has put me on a complete downer.

He said it himself in his interview, he wanted to come in as a first team regular so obviously couldn't be promised this by Yogi for whatever reason. Massive signing for Dundee and could see him doing well there but it's just a sideway step. I can't believe that there was no way of convincing him to at least sign another year with the club to let him achieve first team football, get a taste of European football and then move on to a bigger opportunity.

Seems like a real lack of ambition from both parties.

Gutted. '

'Great signing for the Dees. Hartley is making some shrewd signings. I fully expect them to finish in the top six next season.'

Out of all the comments on the Caley forum spread across a few different threads, the absolutely only negative comment I could find was:

'Bad move in my opinion unless he has been guaranteed more game time. Even then, don't honestly think he is as big a loss as some make out. Really need to strengthen squad now for the coming season although probably too late for Europe.'

And that was truly, the worst comment I could find.

Nb