All things Dundee FC

It was the right thing at the time. Bain wasn't close to being ready to play for Aberdeen then. Three years at Alloa as first choice allowed him to develop to the extent he was ready to be number one at Dens.

I've no doubt Alloa had a massive part to play in his development but this could easily have been achieved through loans. Aberdeen had a nightmare regarding Bain.

Most other clubs do it that way and it works more than fine.

Depends on the player tbh. We had it with Durnan, he wanted to either be played or let go, as constantly jumping around different sides every season wasn't for him. Last season May gave us that ultimatum too before his breakthrough, while Caddis and Brown said that this Summer. Imagine we might see Dylan Easton say something similar eventually too.

Jamesie still looks the same as he did when he was the main man, as for you? Well, you still look the same as that night on the sambuca's! :lol: you related to teeth?

I am indeed the little c***s big brother.

Anyway, Greg Stewart back for the weekend? <3

RandomGuy., on 01 Apr 2015 - 20:14, said:

Depends on the player tbh. We had it with Durnan, he wanted to either be played or let go, as constantly jumping around different sides every season wasn't for him. Last season May gave us that ultimatum too before his breakthrough, while Caddis and Brown said that this Summer. Imagine we might see Dylan Easton say something similar eventually too.

Scott Bain had 3 seasons away from Aberdeen.

Three seasons that could have been spent on loan at the same club (Alloa) as they sailed through the leagues. He didn't have to like it if they tied his contract up. You lot are currently doing it with Zander Clark (Although I think he'll turn out to be more Cuthbert than Mannus).

Stevie May in my opinion, would never have been the player he was for St Johnstone if it wasn't for those loan spells and that worked fine. If they have the quality, they are worth keeping on. From an outsiders point of view, Caddis and Brown won't be missed regardless of what they do whereas Aberdeen desperately need a half decent one and the best one they've developed in years, they let go.

Shocking decision.

Here's where the Robertson 'rumour' came about by the way: http://www.thedarkblues.co.uk/index.php?/topic/2321-robertson-agrees-to-dens-return/

It was a joke on the Dundee forum, as he'd be about as welcome as a fart in a spacesuit for many Dee fans regardless of his quality.

Scott Bain had 3 seasons away from Aberdeen.

Three seasons that could have been spent on loan at the same club (Alloa) as they sailed through the leagues. He didn't have to like it if they tied his contract up. You lot are currently doing it with Zander Clark (Although I think he'll turn out to be more Cuthbert than Mannus).

Stevie May in my opinion, would never have been the player he was for St Johnstone if it wasn't for those loan spells and that worked fine. If they have the quality, they are worth keeping on. From an outsiders point of view, Caddis and Brown won't be missed regardless of what they do whereas Aberdeen desperately need a half decent one and the best one they've developed in years, they let go.

Shocking decision.

The point was more about what the player prefers, rather than any development issue. Some players don't enjoy being loan players, and would rather have the security of knowing they're going to be starting instead of worrying every Summer you'll be let go.

A three year contract and a promise from a manager would surely suffice? Unless the player doesn't believe the manager? But then that says more about the management than anything else.

A three year contract and a promise from a manager would surely suffice? Unless the player doesn't believe the manager? But then that says more about the management than anything else.

Bain probably wasn't showing enough potential to be worthy of a three year deal at that time though, so handing him that sort of deal would've been a risk of sorts.

RandomGuy., on 01 Apr 2015 - 22:01, said:

Bain probably wasn't showing enough potential to be worthy of a three year deal at that time though, so handing him that sort of deal would've been a risk of sorts.

So then, like I said in my first post about the matter, it was a dreadful decision to release him. It's not a case of not showing potential, it's a case of whether you can see it or not. Aberdeen deemed that he wouldn't be better than what they have and allowed him to go. Poor decision.

He showed enough potential to be promoted to 2bd choice at the club at a very early age. That's why he left.

He felt it was too big a jump too soon and that he (obviously) wouldnt get enough games as a 2nd choice. Strange one because Aberdeen obviously rated him highly enough but he wanted to actually play rather than be a first team benchwarmer.