All things Dundee FC

3 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

Last week it was all Fontaine’s fault because he was miles off the Dunfermline striker. This week it’s all Fontaine’s fault because Ashcroft is miles off the striker. Think you’ve got it in for Fontaine tbh.
The keeper definitely should have done better too.
But if it makes you happy it’s all Fontaine’s fault. I knew it would be.

It doesn't make me happy you trying to throw other players under the bus to try and defend just basic shite defending. It's all Fontaine's fault, because he fails to deal with a simple punt, plays the St Johnstone attacker through with a shite attempted clearance and then gets nowhere near intercepting the cross.

It also doesn't make me happy that we have such a shite back-line.

Adam has been off it for months now. He was strolling the league and making it look piss easy but he's looked off the required standard since about January now.

Wonder what is going on.

Fontaine's defending, Adam's shite penalty and McPake's bizarre set-ups cost us there. St Johnstone were very poor.
Aw well, onto Tuesday night.

Not having a go but what set up should we have had do you think?

Taking the brave pills I just wouldn’t play Adam. He just doesn’t have the legs. Maybe 1 or even 2 leagues down he could do a great job. He also tries to over compensate by playing over ambitious passes and other players go into their shells. We’ve stumbled into a decent formation but you can’t play with 2 up front and Adam.

2 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

Not having a go but what set up should we have had do you think?

Our 4-4-2 set-up that's seen us win the past couple of games. I could see the justifcation though for starting the way we did though.

Can't account for the the 3-4-3 formation at the end though with 2 wing backs playing as CH and our 2 wingers reverting to wing backs. Thought it made us utterly toothless when we should have been going for it and was reflected by the fact that our only shot on target all game was a penalty.

Not sure McPake entirely knew what he was doing either as he told Fisher to get stripped when Ashcroft was injured, then swapped McGowan for Ashcroft, then told Fisher to sit down again and then brought Cummings on for the only player in midfield that has any legs in Anderson.

3 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

Taking the brave pills I just wouldn’t play Adam. He just doesn’t have the legs. Maybe 1 or even 2 leagues down he could do a great job. He also tries to over compensate by playing over ambitious passes and other players go into their shells. We’ve stumbled into a decent formation but you can’t play with 2 up front and Adam.

1 minute ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Charlie looks officially past it.

Yep. This. He's went from pissing the league and keeping us competitive on his own to looking nowhere near the standard of even a Scottish Championship player almost overnight.

1 hour ago, Taipei said:

Adam is finished, he can’t run and just walks about miss hitting passes most of the time. (Tempting fate now) 

Adam hasn't been able to run since he signed. He's nowhere near finished but he needs someone like McGhee doing all the yards he can't. 

Yep. This. He's went from pissing the league and keeping us competitive on his own to looking nowhere near the standard of even a Scottish Championship player almost overnight.

I think he’s looked done all season tbh. He will produce the odd fantastic goal from outside the box either from a free kick or open play, his corners and free kicks are usually good but his lack of mobility is a killer. If he was content to be available to receive the ball and off load it simply to willing runners he might just get away with it but he can’t try to play in the same style he did 10 years ago. He also deserves to get booked in nearly every game. He could also come on in games for the last 30. Big call for McPake which I fully expect him to bottle.

16 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Fontaine's defending, Adam's shite penalty and McPake's bizarre set-ups cost us there. St Johnstone were very poor.

Aw well, onto Tuesday night.

Disappointing result against very poor, uninspiring opposition to be polite.

Agree Ludo, onto Tuesday, learnt very little today other than the right back slot is not Elliott's to keep.

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

Something maybe to do with a major personal event and the very considerable experience of testing positive for the virus.

Let's give the guy some yardage here, he is Dundee FC at the moment, on so many levels.

Regards 

11 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Adam hasn't been able to run since he signed. He's nowhere near finished but he needs someone like McGhee doing all the yards he can't. 

100% this.

He isn't there for his running or defensive duties, he is there to create and organise on the pitch.

Allowing Adam to stand and do nothing is why we weren’t in the playoffs, we dropped him and actually played as a team, and improved. 

It McPake has any idea of what to do, he must drop Adam again, and get the team to compete again. 

14 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

100% this.

He isn't there for his running or defensive duties, he is there to create and organise on the pitch.

I agree, but tbf, he's not creating much recently either. We had 1 shot on target today and it was his terrible penalty. The rest were just pot shots from outside the box.

We need to find a way to get him contributing again. Perhaps use him as an impact sub until McGhee is back to do his running? Hopefully shouldn't be too long now.

Adam has passed it lol. 

Only thing been said spot on is he does like a yellow card every game.

I'm sure the point in Adam was we build around him. Obviously when you have an idiot in charge this hasn't happened and why our midfield has been a shambles just like the rest of the team for the majority of the season.

32 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

3 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I agree, but tbf, he's not creating much recently either. We had 1 shot on target today and it was his terrible penalty. The rest were just pot shots from outside the box.

We need to find a way to get him contributing again. Perhaps use him as an impact sub until McGhee is back to do his running? Hopefully shouldn't be too long now.

Basically what Mr Alli has said. 

You play Mullen over Cummings.... if we expected goals today we all know this was never going to be the case. No surprise regarding the lack of shots on target 

Edited by Robin.Hood