All things Dundee FC

5 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Glad to hear Mellon is okay. Obviously the referee has made an absolute mess of things, but hopefully it also prompts the authorities to do something about certain teams that constantly go down holding their head as some kind of advantage to stop play. Ultimately, it can put a few seconds  doubt in the mind of a referee which can be crucial in these kind of situations. 

It is far too serious a situation for teams to try and take advantage of the rules around. 

Unsure if you seen the incident, but there was zero chance Mellon was play acting.

One of the worst clashes of heads ive ever seen due to the pace Gordon went into at.

1 hour ago, stu2910 said:

So , serious question, I know he’s only played a relatively small number of matches but where does Beck rank in our recent and all time list of full backs, or even defenders in general. Certainly in my 25ish years of going to Dens I can’t think of another defender who could win 1 v 1s so consistently that you’re just not bothered when you see an opposition forward trying to take him on.

Its like the certainty of seeing Greg Stewart cut in on his left foot on the edge of the box, but for a defender.

I’ve said before he’s like a cloan of Tosh Mckinlay at this stage , wins most one on one’s , exact same running style on his Mazies, and put in a great cross , so for me he’s the best left back since then and tosh was the best since Bobby Cox , 

1 hour ago, stu2910 said:

So , serious question, I know he’s only played a relatively small number of matches but where does Beck rank in our recent and all time list of full backs, or even defenders in general. Certainly in my 25ish years of going to Dens I can’t think of another defender who could win 1 v 1s so consistently that you’re just not bothered when you see an opposition forward trying to take him on.

Its like the certainty of seeing Greg Stewart cut in on his left foot on the edge of the box, but for a defender.

Davo just edges it for me but young Owen not too far behind. 

The closest I have seen at Dens to Beck was Tosh McKinlay - he should have played at a higher level than Celtic but attacking wing backs were not such an important part of the game in those days. 

1 hour ago, Boo Khaki said:

If Beck goes back to Liverpool, Captains them to 10+ EPL titles, half-a-dozen Champions Leagues, and bags a few Ballon d'Or for himself, then I might, might just grudgingly concede he's almost on a par with peak Jim Duffy.

One of the problems he might have is he’s a scouser and a dyed in the wool red, with the family history on top. If he does go on to the level we all expect it might be difficult for him to leave Anfield, consequently his success becomes intrinsically linked to that of the club. 

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Unsure if you seen the incident, but there was zero chance Mellon was play acting.

One of the worst clashes of heads ive ever seen due to the pace Gordon went into at.

Yeah I know - just to clarify I was talking generally about head clashes as it won’t always be obvious straight away! 

My only criticism of Beck is that he should have a good few more goals to his name than he's got. Quite often he does all the hard work then misses the opportunity he's carved for himself.

Mad that that's a criticism of our 21 year old left back which highlights just how good he is.

34 minutes ago, locheedee said:

Thats the club writing an official letter of complaint about the ref ignoring Mellon's head knock - luckily thats him out of hospital now

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68273991

Knowing the SFA, they'll probably fine us for the club doctor coming onto the pitch before play was stopped.

8 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

My only criticism of Beck is that he should have a good few more goals to his name than he's got. Quite often he does all the hard work then misses the opportunity he's carved for himself.

Mad that that's a criticism of our 21 year old left back which highlights just how good he is.

A privilege to have him for the year. Barring some miracle that will be it though so trying not to get too attached. My top tip is to imagine him on the bog. 

Beghetto was my favourite and underrated left back.

Matt Lockwood is probably our best LB since the Bonetti era and unless something goes disastrously wrong for Beck, I think we'll be the lowest level he plays at from now until the end of his career whereas Leyton Orient and a small stint at Nottingham Forest were probably the highest Lockwood got to other than ourselves.

Quite simply - I think Beck has the potential to have the best career of any LB we've ever had.

Edited by Ludo*1

42 minutes ago, The Master said:

Knowing the SFA, they'll probably fine us for the club doctor coming onto the pitch before play was stopped.

Almost certainly, I'm glad we are speaking out though even if it does come back to bite us

3 hours ago, Wee jeemie said:

I’ve said before he’s like a cloan of Tosh Mckinlay at this stage , wins most one on one’s , exact same running style on his Mazies, and put in a great cross , so for me he’s the best left back since then and tosh was the best since Bobby Cox , 

Stuart McKimmie was a very good full back, as was Erich Schaedler.

They'd certainly make my top 5.

39 minutes ago, jakedee said:

Stuart McKimmie was a very good full back, as was Erich Schaedler.

They'd certainly make my top 5.

Agree definitely in the top 5 , though Mckimmie was right back , , it’s amazing to think now that 3 of the back 4 against England in 96 euros were ex Dees , Mckimmie, calerwood, Hendry McKinlay 

ha ha sorry wrong Mckinlay , only the 2 of them must’ve been that Dab Billy Mckinlay 

Edited by Wee jeemie

14 minutes ago, Wee jeemie said:

Agree definitely in the top 5 , though Mckimmie was right back , , it’s amazing to think now that 3 of the back 4 against England in 96 euros were ex Dees , Mckimmie, calerwood, Hendry McKinlay 

Great players in there but starting out watching the Dee regularly in the 70s we had Jim Steele, Iain Philip and John McPhail that were all hard as f**k centre halves that could play a bit, Schaedler was immense and Bobby Wilson is the best full back I have seen at Dens, even better than Tosh.

Beck is brilliant though.

Youve fucked it with this.

Not only trying to get free work from someone, but then trying to hide every reply that's criticising you for it and highlighting how wrong it is.

11 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Youve fucked it with this.

Not only trying to get free work from someone, but then trying to hide every reply that's criticising you for it and highlighting how wrong it is.

An internship isn't wrong, companies offer them all over the world. It gives somebody a chance to try doing something they wouldn't otherwise. 

Hiding replies or criticism is wrong but I personally couldn't give a f**k if we are offering an unpaid internship.

Presumably if someone is shithot they'll get offered a paid job.

4 minutes ago, eindhovendee said:

Presumably if someone is shithot they'll get offered a paid job.

They dont, no. Its explicitly stated its for 3 months only and the only benefit is experience. Although they also state the only want people who have previous experience of running a social media account for a football club.

Theyre trying to get an experienced candidate to work 9-5 one dae, create a TikTok account, run your social media accounts throughout the week, attend every game (home and away), for the rest of the season, and get £0 for it.

Edited by RandomGuy.