All things Dundee FC

2 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Refreshing honesty IMO.

Yes agree , but it gets on my tits now , this you’ve got to remember we’re the newly promoted team , it’s constant from him , next season he’ll be saying after every game if we stay up , you’ve got to remember this is only our second season in the top flight , , 

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

I see Doc's putting the blame firmly on the players for last night's defeat. He has credit in the bank to get away with that, but if he didn't fans would be looking at his team selection, tactics and all the intangibles etc. Fair enough it's against Celtic so it's a write off anyway, but 7-1 is poor.

https://youtu.be/5hv7w16Y_w4?si=mtZRHQ-voxDfT9C2

Your take on manager's statements are not valid, after the double down from you on Derek Adams 'mind games'.

32 minutes ago, Wee jeemie said:

Yes agree , but it gets on my tits now , this you’ve got to remember we’re the newly promoted team , it’s constant from him , next season he’ll be saying after every game if we stay up , you’ve got to remember this is only our second season in the top flight , , 

I was more having a pop at his staunch defence of Derek Adams' comments tbf!

Docherty is a polished operator. The name of the game when speaking to anyone is not give them any major sound bites. Bowyer was a bit better spoken but equally we've had McGhee saying he wouldn't turn his heating on and stuff like that so I don't mind the same boring, repetitive sound bites as it's ultimately the on pitch stuff that counts - think Neil McCann was the best talker we've ever had, used to love his interviews but his actual management, not so much. He's telling the truth, he's apologised to the fans and he's not said anything extremely controversial. Job done as far as media duties are concerned IMO.

3 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Dear god lads............in all the derby excitement I didnt see all of last nights results.

WTF happened?

Typical OF bias. We had a game changing goal ruled out. 

Could be worse lads and lasses , at least our board wasn’t daft enough to appoint some money grabbing has never been like Neil Warnock OYF , unless he goes soon I can see them playing United in the play offs , what a “ new firm” derby that would be 

33 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Dear god lads............in all the derby excitement I didnt see all of last nights results.

WTF happened?

We got thumped and took it gracefully.

Diddy fans and some Celtic fans still seem to have come out looking worse. 

Thank you. 

4 minutes ago, Wee jeemie said:

Could be worse lads and lasses , at least our board wasn’t daft enough to appoint some money grabbing has never been like Neil Warnock OYF , unless he goes soon I can see them playing United in the play offs , what a “ new firm” derby that would be 

New Infirm Derby

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

I was more having a pop at his staunch defence of Derek Adams' comments tbf!

Docherty is a polished operator. The name of the game when speaking to anyone is not give them any major sound bites. Bowyer was a bit better spoken but equally we've had McGhee saying he wouldn't turn his heating on and stuff like that so I don't mind the same boring, repetitive sound bites as it's ultimately the on pitch stuff that counts - think Neil McCann was the best talker we've ever had, used to love his interviews but his actual management, not so much. He's telling the truth, he's apologised to the fans and he's not said anything extremely controversial. Job done as far as media duties are concerned IMO.

Ahh, I see - so you prefer media trained managers. He put the blame squarely on the players and away from himself, which is fine when it's going reasonably well as it is right now for him and Dundee, but when Adams did the same thing it was criticised.

It's well known that fans don't really care about a manager's comments if things are going well, they could say anything really and get away with it. I'll maybe pop my head in later at a more difficult stage of the season and see how it's going. 

Just now, 2426255 said:

I'll maybe pop my head in later at a more difficult stage of the season and see how it's going. 

Pop back in any time you like. Doubt you will find a 'difficult stage of the season' though.

11 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Pop back in any time you like. Doubt you will find a 'difficult stage of the season' though.

Thanks, I'm an optimist. I'll drop back in once you've fallen out of the top-6 maybe.

Edited by 2426255

37 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Ahh, I see - so you prefer media trained managers. He put the blame squarely on the players and away from himself, which is fine when it's going reasonably well as it is right now for him and Dundee, but when Adams did the same thing it was criticised.

It's well known that fans don't really care about a manager's comments if things are going well, they could say anything really and get away with it. I'll maybe pop my head in later at a more difficult stage of the season and see how it's going. 

He hardly savaged the team. He was right to point out the poor defending. He also said he backed the players as they’ve given him 100% all season. Trying to make a deal out of something that doesn’t exist. He believes the players that started should have played better individually and collectively, and who can disagree. 

It's hard to explain, players who have not shown that all season, showed a side that it was just so easy for Celtic to score. When I look back and when I look at all of the goals in the first half, every one preventable - I just think we (read: the players) need to take huge accountability for that. It looked like we never worked on anything, but believe me we worked on every way that Celtic attack, but if you can't defend crosses in your box, you can't defend on the inside of wing-backs, you can't win headers in the middle of the goal you've got no chance of winning a football match. I'm a bit shocked by it.

Tony Docherty

@Liam899 

If Dundee weren't getting results under Doc, you'd get the whole "well he picked the wrong team and had to change it at half-time" alongside other criticisms around tactics, no fight etc, he's lost the dressing room, not playing for him blah blah. If he's saying it's the players fault then that's fine, but when Derek Adams critiscised his players it was interpreted as throwing the players under the bus. 

He's got 'credit in the bank', that's the only difference I can see. He's not savaged them, but he is saying they need to be better and took no personal accountability for the result or performance. He will have his own difficult spells to navigate and it'll be interesting to see how he is in adversity.

Edited by 2426255

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

I prefer a dull, boring, repetitive manager that's getting results whereas your preference was a man that had a complete meltdown, threw his team under the bus and left within the space of about 2 month. 

It's well known that your opinion on this topic is tantamount to slavering and received with much hilarity by everyone else.

That about sums it up.

7 hours ago, 2426255 said:

@Liam899 

If Dundee weren't getting results under Doc, you'd get the whole "well he picked the wrong team and had to change it at half-time" alongside other criticisms around tactics, no fight etc, he's lost the dressing room, not playing for him blah blah. If he's saying it's the players fault then that's fine, but when Derek Adams critiscised his players it was interpreted as throwing the players under the bus. 

He's got 'credit in the bank', that's the only difference I can see. He's not savaged them, but he is saying they need to be better and took no personal accountability for the result or performance. He will have his own difficult spells to navigate and it'll be interesting to see how he is in adversity.

I’m struggling to see your point. If we had been shite then we’d be having a go at Docherty? Maybe, but we’ve not been. Youre focussing on an alternative universe here, let’s stick to the facts :)

2 hours ago, Liam899 said:

I’m struggling to see your point. If we had been shite then we’d be having a go at Docherty? Maybe, but we’ve not been. Youre focussing on an alternative universe here, let’s stick to the facts :)

I was saying that when you get back to being shite Doc won't be able to get away with throwing the players under the bus and he'll need to show some of that "polished operator" stuff @Ludo*1 was dribbling about. 

I doubt Shaughnessy will get dropped because Vassell and Van Veen (if he comes on) are big guys and would bully our less physical defenders. McGhee, Portales and Donnelly is our strongest defence if they play short passes and maintain composed. In fairness the midfield don't help defence causing them to boot the ball up. McCracken and Astley I reckon are desperate for a chance. Both have great attitudes and can tell they are both motivated to make in impact. Hope Costelloe and Mellon start on Saturday as we need to be more positive and forward thinking.

One other weird theory I have about environments and styles of play. I sell boots for a bit of money and know a lot about them. Becks got new boots same brand but the new ones have got new technology with plastic sticking out from the boot. (marketing ploy for good passing). His old boots were meant for grip and dribbling. Since he has came his crossing and passing has been amazing but he is only completed one memorable dribble which led to a goal. Sounds daft and it's stupid boots can possibly change stuff. Like midfielders wear different boots like the bulky predators for passing whereas wingers wear lightweight boots with fancy effects and stuff. I don't really see it myself but could be a psychological thing with the players.