All things Dundee FC

I also think we will be in a relegation battle.
Which Dundee fans don't think we will be?

We have taken 3 points in 18, still have three of the stronger teams in the league to face and have drawn at home against teams who have been tipped as relegation candidates. Also those 3 points are the most we've deserved from these 6 games. That form suggests a relegation battle, we also have a team fairly short on battlers.

After watching the game today, it gets played through the middle far too often and we don't use the wings enough. We also seem very hesitant to get the ball played into the box, we seem to want to walk it into the net. Its nearly there, we need a decent winger/playmaker. They seem to be hiding away from the ball a fair bit too, the only players that were available for a pass to feet were Julen and O'Dea. I am not overly worried yet, however we do need to improve quickly.  

After watching the game today, it gets played through the middle far too often and we don't use the wings enough. We also seem very hesitant to get the ball played into the box, we seem to want to walk it into the net. Its nearly there, we need a decent winger/playmaker. They seem to be hiding away from the ball a fair bit too, the only players that were available for a pass to feet were Julen and O'Dea. I am not overly worried yet, however we do need to improve quickly.  

You've described every game I've seen this season. This approach, with the players we have, is not going to see us improve.

2 minutes ago, dd23 said:

You've described every game I've seen this season. This approach, with the players we have, is not going to see us improve.

Yeah, Hartley either needs to change tactics, or get players in that can play to this system. Probably easier to change the tactics, the defence is ok, but the midfield gets caught out of position too often and up front ends up getting zero support, in turn inviting the oposition back on to us. Needs to change. 

"I don't know what to make of Dundee. They didn't seem to offer much in the way of a coherent shape of a team and left wide spaces for Inverness to dominate. When there was a challenge, it was generally won by a home player."

Observation from the match thread. Groundhog stuff.

Based on what?

We are absolute garbage and something needs to change. Hartley tactics are bollocks everyone can see it but he refuses to change.

Based on pretty much the whole of Hartley's tenure thus far.

Based on pretty much the whole of Hartley's tenure thus far.

I'm sorry I can't agree unless something significant changes. In past seasons we have had a game changer be it Harkins, Stewart or Hemmings we now don't have that. We are absolutely toothless going forward and the narrow formation is so predictable.

3 minutes ago, dundeefc1783 said:

I'm sorry I can't agree unless something significant changes. In past seasons we have had a game changer be it Harkins, Stewart or Hemmings we now don't have that. We are absolutely toothless going forward and the narrow formation is so predictable.

As long as Hartley's given time then we'll come through this. If we turn on him, we're just making the task at hand all the more difficult.

As long as Hartley's given time then we'll come through this. If we turn on him, we're just making the task at hand all the more difficult.

I wish I shared your confidence. He is making the same mistakes he was making 12 months ago. We are so lightweight in midfield and one dimensional going forward and still can't keep a clean sheet.

I hope you're right Ludo. I wonder what you think he's going to do to pull us through this though. Do you think he has the sense to see that what he obviously prefers is not working due to our personnel changes and therefore alters it? The only option alternatively if the answer is no that he manages to coach players unsuited to a system into that system. If he can do that fair play.
I remember Duffy when he was managing us after Bonetti saying we were playing 4-3-3, it wasn't his preferred way to play, but it was obviously the best system for the players we had.
If Hartley can work this out, whatever way he does it , that's great, however there is no point saying that the roof can't be leaking because it's never leaked before.

Dundee's best 'game changer' is probably Paul McGowan, they haven't won since the first day of the season, haven't scored more than once since the same match, have kept 1  clean sheet, have 3 points from the last 18 and their next three matches are home to Celtic and away to Hearts and St. Johnstone but it seems like Paul Hartley can do no wrong and everything is gonna be alright.